Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is Homework Help Mandatory for Providers???
AllDeezBabies 07:47 AM 10-05-2012
Hello guys,

I haven't posted in a good minute. I have finally got my daycare off the ground and boy do I have a lot of questions/frustrations/vents/complaints.....

Anywho. I have a few school aged daycare children. One particular family is a set of twins 7 years old. When they come in the drill is to put coats away, snack and homework. What I have been noticing about these two in particular is that they don't complete the rest of their homework when they get home.

Their teacher attaches the assignments for the week in one folder so I check everything. I decided to say something to the mom when I saw the consistency of homework not being completed. This was on yesterday and Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday wasn't completed. They can only get so much done here before their parent picks them up.

Here is the conversation:

Me: I checked *** and *** folder and they haven't been completing their homework.

Mom: Why not? Don't they do their homework here?

Me: Of course they do but they can only do so much before they have to leave and after that, it should be completed at home. My point is they aren't going home to finish it.

Mom: I'm not understanding why it's not completed. They do their homework at daycare everyday. There is no reason to have incomplete homework if you help them. That's a problem.

Me: The problem lies with them not completing the remainder of their work when they get home. Again, there's only so much they can do here.

Mom: Oh...well...I will have a talk with them.

For this reason, I do not want to assist with homework. Was I wrong with how I approached the situation? Should I assist with homework? Is it mandatory?

Any feedback on how I handled the situation is appreciated and needed as well. Thanks in advance.
littlemissmuffet 07:54 AM 10-05-2012
It's not mandatory here - and I sure hope it isn't anywhere else. This is another example of parents trying to sluff their responsibilities onto us. This mother needs to get her prioroties straight and realize that it's HER job to help with HOMEwork AT HOME... it's not daycarework!

I would never in a million years even THINK of helping with homework if I ran a multi-age daycare with infants, toddlers and S/A. I am considering moving to all S/A in the next year or so, and in this case I am going to offer homework help/a homework period from after school until 4:30pm and the rest of the day/until pick-up will be outdoor/free play.

This is my choice, and I don't think that any provider should feel obligated to offer this. As a matter of fact, I'm just going to give it a test-run and if it doesn't work out then I will cut it out of my program.
AnneCordelia 07:55 AM 10-05-2012
I don't do homework help. After school my dcks play in the backyard after snack until pickup if the weather is permitting. It is enough, imo, that I only have an hour after school to feed them snack and get organized for pickups. I help my own four children with homework after dinner, and encourage my dcfs to do the same.
countrymom 08:01 AM 10-05-2012
You need to stop helping "them" do their homework. Mom is already blaming you for them not finishing their homework. The onus has to be on mom. Stop helping the twins and let mom deal with it. (If no one else is complaining and you have time, then help the others)
SunshineMama 08:02 AM 10-05-2012
Homework is 100% the job of the parents. Unless they also want to pay you for tutoring services, or unless you agreed in your initial meeting that helping them do their homework is a part of your contract, then I would flat out tell the mom that you set aside homework time for them, and that she will need to be in charge of making sure it is complete.

Incredible that she wants to pawn that off on you....
sharlan 08:04 AM 10-05-2012
I assist with homework. It's not my responsibility to see to it that it is done. I will only assist with questions, if a child refuses to do it, then I don't help.

I find homework to be the parent's responsibility and let them know that up front.
AllDeezBabies 08:14 AM 10-05-2012
I was so angry I had tears in my eyes and had to go to another room to compose myself.

littlemissmuffet-I was just saying this to my husband that homework is to be done at home and not daycare work.

Ms. Cordelia-I'm juggling helping homework with my children and daycare children. I'm doing to much when I don't need to.

countrymom-This is what I'm going to do from now on. I wasn't absolutely sure if it was something I had to do along with my license. I remember my licensing representative telling me about not doing a curriculum for my daycare kids because I wasn't a teacher, I just wasn't sure about homework help.

Sunshine Mama- I remember when I was a working mom and I had a fantastic provider that would assist my school aged children with their homework. When I checked their work, it was all correct and whatever wasn't completed I made sure they had it completed. She cared for all of my children. That is why I did homework help. But I see now that I will have to take that courtesy away. We never discussed homework help and I never told them that I provided it. My previous experience with my provider was the ONLY reason why I considered it. And this is the thanks I get. I felt like crap after that confrontation.

sharlan- I'm to the point that now I don't wanna do homework help at all. I think I'll do what AnneCordelia does and just to free play until pickup.
Willow 08:21 AM 10-05-2012
I don't even look in backpacks, much less help with homework.

That is entirely a parents responsibility and none of my business.

I'd tell her straight out that you're sorry she held that expectation but it's not your place to be reading notes from teachers, helping with homework or keeping track of how a child is doing away from your care while in school. If it helps boost your confidence during the conversation, let her know you consulted/networked with quite a few other providers and none of them do such a thing either. All believe it's a parents business and a parents business only to keep track of their child's academic successes and struggles
Meeko 08:29 AM 10-05-2012
I currently only have 2 kindies, but used to have SA kids up to age 12.

I made it very clear that they could sit at the table and do their homework, but that I was not responsible in any way, shape or form if they did all of it, any of it or whether it was done correctly. Parent responsibility 100%.
familyschoolcare 08:34 AM 10-05-2012
I run a school aged only program and this is what my policy is ...

I provide time, space, resoanable equipment and resaonable help for children to compleate their homework. Actully finishing their homework is up to them.

I go over this at interviews and tell parents that after everyone is done with snack and I clean up from snack I will tell the children that it is now time to

do homework, I will not fight with your child to do thier homework wither they do or they don't. Now with that said I will ask each older child that is not

getting homework out if they have homwwork and will go and check myself if need be. When I child tells me they do not whant to do their homework I say

oh I am sorry that you do not whant to do your homework right now the thing is now is homework time, I think Mom and/or Dad whants you to do

your homwwork. So far that has been all the encourgment I need to give. I will "help" not answer, as questions come up. Example from yesterday

DCG "Mrs ******* what is 6X6." Me "you need to use the muliplication table the teacher gave you." DCG "Can't you just tell me" Me "No, it is not my

homework it is your homework."

I sujest that you look at how much homework they have and everyday when thay are picked up meantion how much homework is still left to do for that day. Example DCG still has 1/2 page of math to compleate she has been working hard at her homework since we finished snack.
daycarediva 08:40 AM 10-05-2012
I do ASSIST with homework. Our routine is, come in, shoes & backpack put away, books and homework out and at the table. They read for 15 minutes while eating snack. Then they pull out homework. I currently have two K's, 2nd grader, 3rd grader. I quizz spelling words and do math facts and sight words. I am already doing it with my own kids. It gives the littles a time to see the big kids doing school work too, and they often will sit at the table and 'read' and/or color worksheets, etc. It's a pretty good 45-60 minutes of down time too, in all honesty.

WHY wont they do it at home? Parents dont enforce it, simply from lack of time or caring or both... idk. I DO care about these kids and want them to be successful. Because I made it a game, and if they complete their homework and get 5 stamps on their calendar they get a prize box prize.

It wasn't in my contract and it certainly isnt expected. Some parents appreciate it, some don't but I don't do it for them.
mom2many 08:53 AM 10-05-2012
I pick up my S/A kids at 3 pm and after having a snack, they start their homework. If they need help, I will assist them. The parents p/u at 6 pm, so they have ample time to complete it, have me check it over and have play time with their friends.

Because some of them have evening activities such as dance, gymnastics, football, baseball, etc. the parents always appreciate having the h/w out of the way! I know when my own kids were involved in these activities, it was essential for them to get their h/w done after school and it was too late when they'd get home in the evening from practice.
Springdaze 08:58 AM 10-05-2012
she should still be checking it. boy would i love to have someone else do homework with my kids, but I would still check it to see what they are learning and if they finished it. If she doesnt check their folders, how does she know if there are things she needs to sign? I have to sign my 4th graders homework book every night!
sharlan 08:59 AM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I currently only have 2 kindies, but used to have SA kids up to age 12.

I made it very clear that they could sit at the table and do their homework, but that I was not responsible in any way, shape or form if they did all of it, any of it or whether it was done correctly. Parent responsibility 100%.
This is my attitude. I don't ask, I don't go into a child's backpack for any reason. If the child asks for help, I will give it. But, beyond giving the supplies (craft table) and a quiet place to do it, I don't get involved.
sharlan 09:01 AM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I do ASSIST with homework. Our routine is, come in, shoes & backpack put away, books and homework out and at the table. They read for 15 minutes while eating snack. Then they pull out homework. I currently have two K's, 2nd grader, 3rd grader. I quizz spelling words and do math facts and sight words. I am already doing it with my own kids. It gives the littles a time to see the big kids doing school work too, and they often will sit at the table and 'read' and/or color worksheets, etc. It's a pretty good 45-60 minutes of down time too, in all honesty.

WHY wont they do it at home? Parents dont enforce it, simply from lack of time or caring or both... idk. I DO care about these kids and want them to be successful. Because I made it a game, and if they complete their homework and get 5 stamps on their calendar they get a prize box prize.

It wasn't in my contract and it certainly isnt expected. Some parents appreciate it, some don't but I don't do it for them.
I used to do that, but the parents nor the kids appreciated it. We used to go over spelling words during breakfast or walks to school.
Kaddidle Care 09:05 AM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:

I'd tell her straight out that you're sorry she held that expectation but it's not your place to be reading notes from teachers, helping with homework or keeping track of how a child is doing away from your care while in school. If it helps boost your confidence during the conversation, let her know you consulted/networked with quite a few other providers and none of them do such a thing either. All believe it's a parents business and a parents business only to keep track of their child's academic successes and struggles
What a perfect response!

"Sorry Mom, I was doing something as a favor and now you're expecting too much. It's your job now - all of it! Have a nice day!"
Willow 09:34 AM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by mom2many:

Because some of them have evening activities such as dance, gymnastics, football, baseball, etc. the parents always appreciate having the h/w out of the way! I know when my own kids were involved in these activities, it was essential for them to get their h/w done after school and it was too late when they'd get home in the evening from practice.
I disagree if a parents priorities are such that they appreciate academics being "out of the way" of sports and other fun activities.....

If there isn't time for a parent to accommodate both academics and athletics then something needs to give, and it shouldn't be school.

I get if a provider likes to do that, but frankly, I'm not going to bathe my daycare kids or bring them to the doctor just because a parent doesn't have time for that either. Everything we do is for the child, but there are some things that are not for a provider to take responsibility over IMHO
crazydaycarelady 09:41 AM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by :

I agree with this 100%.
My3cents 10:16 AM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by JayChanel:
Hello guys,

I haven't posted in a good minute. I have finally got my daycare off the ground and boy do I have a lot of questions/frustrations/vents/complaints.....

Anywho. I have a few school aged daycare children. One particular family is a set of twins 7 years old. When they come in the drill is to put coats away, snack and homework. What I have been noticing about these two in particular is that they don't complete the rest of their homework when they get home.

Their teacher attaches the assignments for the week in one folder so I check everything. I decided to say something to the mom when I saw the consistency of homework not being completed. This was on yesterday and Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday wasn't completed. They can only get so much done here before their parent picks them up.

Here is the conversation:

Me: I checked *** and *** folder and they haven't been completing their homework.

Mom: Why not? Don't they do their homework here?

Me: Of course they do but they can only do so much before they have to leave and after that, it should be completed at home. My point is they aren't going home to finish it.

Mom: I'm not understanding why it's not completed. They do their homework at daycare everyday. There is no reason to have incomplete homework if you help them. That's a problem.

Me: The problem lies with them not completing the remainder of their work when they get home. Again, there's only so much they can do here.

Mom: Oh...well...I will have a talk with them.

For this reason, I do not want to assist with homework. Was I wrong with how I approached the situation? Should I assist with homework? Is it mandatory?

Any feedback on how I handled the situation is appreciated and needed as well. Thanks in advance.
I am replying before I read any messages but I see Muffet has made the first reply and I am sure she is going to say the same thing if not more then me.

This is how I see it. That is not your responsibility. If the parents ask you to help with homework, great and you want to help, great but homework is for home. Parents should be involved in this part of the child's day. If you have kids that need to do homework and that is what you want for your children and make it something that everyone does, Great......but what they do and don't do at your house is up to the parent. I would not be checking homework if it is done or not unless this conversation had been brought up with the parent before care started. Not my place to take that on. I have done the homework battles with my own kids and I think a parent should deal better with this then me. Now I am going to read the replies and anxious to see what LittleMuffet wrote-
best-
My3cents 10:19 AM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
It's not mandatory here - and I sure hope it isn't anywhere else. This is another example of parents trying to sluff their responsibilities onto us. This mother needs to get her prioroties straight and realize that it's HER job to help with HOMEwork AT HOME... it's not daycarework!

I would never in a million years even THINK of helping with homework if I ran a multi-age daycare with infants, toddlers and S/A. I am considering moving to all S/A in the next year or so, and in this case I am going to offer homework help/a homework period from after school until 4:30pm and the rest of the day/until pick-up will be outdoor/free play.

This is my choice, and I don't think that any provider should feel obligated to offer this. As a matter of fact, I'm just going to give it a test-run and if it doesn't work out then I will cut it out of my program.
bingo! Have to say I always enjoy your postings.
My3cents 10:28 AM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by JayChanel:
I was so angry I had tears in my eyes and had to go to another room to compose myself.

littlemissmuffet-I was just saying this to my husband that homework is to be done at home and not daycare work.

Ms. Cordelia-I'm juggling helping homework with my children and daycare children. I'm doing to much when I don't need to.

countrymom-This is what I'm going to do from now on. I wasn't absolutely sure if it was something I had to do along with my license. I remember my licensing representative telling me about not doing a curriculum for my daycare kids because I wasn't a teacher, I just wasn't sure about homework help.

Sunshine Mama- I remember when I was a working mom and I had a fantastic provider that would assist my school aged children with their homework. When I checked their work, it was all correct and whatever wasn't completed I made sure they had it completed. She cared for all of my children. That is why I did homework help. But I see now that I will have to take that courtesy away. We never discussed homework help and I never told them that I provided it. My previous experience with my provider was the ONLY reason why I considered it. And this is the thanks I get. I felt like crap after that confrontation.

sharlan- I'm to the point that now I don't wanna do homework help at all. I think I'll do what AnneCordelia does and just to free play until pickup.
I would have some open communication with the mom. I would tell her that you will help her children if she wishes for you to, because you help your children and provide a set amount of time after school to work on it but the responsibility relies on her to check it and finish it with her kids at night, or the next morning (whenever they do it) You have no responsibility towards undone homework or bad grades. You are providing help, not the responsibility

I would not take on anymore then that. If they don't do it and you notice it, let it be and let the parents figure that out.

I also agree with whoever said that you have enough to be dealing with if you are a multi age daycare and fee's for tutoring.

best-
My3cents 10:40 AM 10-05-2012
I pick up my S/A kids at 3 pm and after having a snack, they start their homework. If they need help, I will assist them. The parents p/u at 6 pm, so they have ample time to complete it, have me check it over and have play time with their friends.

all of this would be something I would talk with the parent about if I had a child of school age. I would have no problem having a set time for kids that needed to work on school work, but having it expected and having the responsibility put on me- No Way. I take on enough. I don't mind, but the child's schooling should be for the parents to take on, if it is done, done right, and how much is done etc..
When I did have school age kids and my own kids, we would do homework after snack. I would help but I didn't check what was done or not done or how much was done and turned in. I didn't look at notes to the parents etc. I provided a space, dictionary, direction. I did not question bad grades on papers if I saw them. I also provided encouragement to the kids and a set time we worked on it. Then we moved on to other things.
JenNJ 10:45 AM 10-05-2012
HOMEwork, not daycarework. Not.your.job.

"DCM, I think that it would be best if the twins had one person helping with homework. From now on, no homework help will be offered here. Please be aware that all assignments will now be your sole responsibility."
youretooloud 10:47 AM 10-05-2012
I have too many things to do to sit down and help them with homework. I will serve snack, let them play a little, and provide a place for them to work.

I'll look at a question if they are having trouble with it...but, otherwise, they can help each other, or wait until they get home to get help with it.

Personally, I think kids should come home, eat a big snack, and play for a while. Homework takes up too much play time for kids and families anyway.
AllDeezBabies 11:12 AM 10-05-2012
You guys really made me feel so much better. (wait till you hear my other stories)

I have some children that know the drill, will come right in and do their work until it is all finished. One of the twin girls even asked me if she could stay until she finished her homework and I drop her off at home. I think I will write a letter addressing my stance on their children's home work and me offering assistance because majority of my children started during summer hours so this was never a topic of conversation when doing initial meeting/contract signing.

It will basically let them know as a COURTESY, I will have a designated time for school aged children to do homework, I will assist if they have questions, but it is not my sole responsibility to have it completed; that is the job of the parents.
mom2many 11:33 AM 10-05-2012
I disagree if a parents priorities are such that they appreciate academics being "out of the way" of sports and other fun activities.....

If there isn't time for a parent to accommodate both academics and athletics then something needs to give, and it shouldn't be school.

I get if a provider likes to do that, but frankly, I'm not going to bathe my daycare kids or bring them to the doctor just because a parent doesn't have time for that either. Everything we do is for the child, but there are some things that are not for a provider to take responsibility over IMHO
It's NOT that they don't care about academics....In fact, one dcm was a dedicated and devoted elementary school teacher. She was always very involved with her children's school work and did her part as well. We worked as a team...I merely did my part giving them a quiet work space and help if they needed it (which they rarely did!) They worked independently and got the work done. I guess I have never experienced a lazy attitude from parents and they do their part---checking over things, signing whatever is needed and giving spelling tests at home.

I think your comment about equalizing taking children to Dr appts and bathing them, with giving them an opportunity to get homework done in a timely manner after school, when they are still fresh and not exhausted at bedtime is simply ridiculous.
Willow 12:20 PM 10-05-2012
It's NOT that they don't care about academics....In fact, one dcm was a dedicated and devoted elementary school teacher. She was always very involved with her children's school work and did her part as well. We worked as a team...I merely did my part giving them a quiet work space and help if they needed it (which they rarely did!) They worked independently and got the work done. I guess I have never experienced a lazy attitude from parents and they do their part---checking over things, signing whatever is needed and giving spelling tests at home.

I think your comment about equalizing taking children to Dr appts and bathing them, with giving them an opportunity to get homework done in a timely manner after school, when they are still fresh and not exhausted at bedtime is simply ridiculous.
You are entitled to your opinion. But the situation you offered has nothing to do with what the OP was being expected to do, nor what I was talking about at all. This post IS about a lazy parent.

To refresh - this mother's children were falling behind in school, and the mother was holding the provider 100% responsible for that. That's bologna. A mom that is "too busy" (or whatever) to even check her child's school folder, instead relying on someone else to even spoon feed her the information that they're struggling, needs to re-prioritize. And that's what I was referencing.

This is not about offering a quiet space for a kids to work on homework on their own, helping with a problem or two here and there, it's about dis-allowing a parent to completely shirk a very important responsibility that should be theirs and only theirs.

I view homework as just as important as my children's health and daily hygiene, all of which are my responsibility as the parent.....and none of those are going to come second to extra curricular activities.

If I don't have time to help them stay healthy, stay clean, and get an education myself then frankly, there is no time for anything else.

It's all the same ball of wax to me.
sharlan 01:14 PM 10-05-2012

And you are entitled to your opinion.

I assist with homework. I've helped on school projects. I've taken numerous dcks to the dr's for immunizations and illness. I've taken kids to sports practices and classes. I always bathe and lotion the kids if we've had an especially dirty day or gone to the beach or water park. I brush hair and see to it that teeth are brushed.

Are they my responsibility? NO. The parents and I are a team and we work together for the child's best interest. It doesn't hurt me to do these things and I enjoy it. If it ever comes to the point where these things are demanded, then I'll stop.

Most of my former parents went through at least one of my two bouts of breast cancer (surgeries, radiation, chemo, and endless dr's appts).

We all handle our businesses the way we feel is right. You do things your way and I'll do things my way.
mom2many 02:29 PM 10-05-2012
You are entitled to your opinion. But the situation you offered has nothing to do with what the OP was being expected to do, nor what I was talking about at all. This post IS about a lazy parent.

To refresh - this mother's children were falling behind in school, and the mother was holding the provider 100% responsible for that. That's bologna. A mom that is "too busy" (or whatever) to even check her child's school folder, instead relying on someone else to even spoon feed her the information that they're struggling, needs to re-prioritize. And that's what I was referencing.

This is not about offering a quiet space for a kids to work on homework on their own, helping with a problem or two here and there, it's about dis-allowing a parent to completely shirk a very important responsibility that should be theirs and only theirs.

I view homework as just as important as my children's health and daily hygiene, all of which are my responsibility as the parent.....and none of those are going to come second to extra curricular activities.

If I don't have time to help them stay healthy, stay clean, and get an education myself then frankly, there is no time for anything else.

It's all the same ball of wax to me.
Wow...I feel like I just got my hand slapped. Thank you for refreshing my memory on what the OP was asking. I was merely responding to her question, "Is Homework Help Mandatory for Providers?" and explained how I've handled S/A & homework in the past... My mistake!

I completely agree that extra curricular activities should never take priority to academics and if I ever had a parent like the OP described, I would never take on the full responsibility of their child's homework, class work, grades, etc. As I stated, I have always been there to assist...not do it all myself! I have always worked as a team with parents and they do their part as well...I believe it should be a balance and it's not my sole responsibility ever!
Crystal 05:03 PM 10-05-2012

Just curious....why do you feel the need to chastise other members every time you disagree with them? It is getting really old.

In this case....all Mom2Many posted is how SHE does things. She didn't tell the OP that she should do things her way, she just gave a different perspective. Why did you need to come in and tell her how wrong she was?????
Crystal 05:03 PM 10-05-2012
Wow...I feel like I just got my hand slapped. Thank you for refreshing my memory on what the OP was asking. I was merely responding to her question, "Is Homework Help Mandatory for Providers?" and explained how I've handled S/A & homework in the past... My mistake!

I completely agree that extra curricular activities should never take priority to academics and if I ever had a parent like the OP described, I would never take on the full responsibility of their child's homework, class work, grades, etc. As I stated, I have always been there to assist...not do it all myself! I have always worked as a team with parents and they do their part as well...I believe it should be a balance and it's not my sole responsibility ever!
NO worries mom2many.....everyone else knew what you were saying
MyAngels 06:43 PM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Just curious....why do you feel the need to chastise other members every time you disagree with them? It is getting really old.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was wondering about that.

NO worries mom2many.....everyone else knew what you were saying

Willow 07:06 AM 10-06-2012

In this case....all Mom2Many posted is how SHE does things. She didn't tell the OP that she should do things her way, she just gave a different perspective. Why did you need to come in and tell her how wrong she was?????

I wanted to address that I have a problem with parents who take only a passive role in their child's academics....which was exactly the point of this entire thread. Someone disagreed with that based on a completely different experience. There is a big difference between disagreeing with someone on topic and disagreeing with someone off topic and that's where I think this is getting muddled.

The comment of "It's NOT that they don't care about academics."

is an odd argument to make because that's EXACTLY the case. Here, that's exactly what was going on. And that's what I was addressing. Mom2many's personal experiences are the complete opposite of the OP's, and her daycare parents did not have the same intentions as a mom who says if they're kiddo isn't doing well in school it must be the providers fault.

I never said anything in reference to any other different personal experiences. I try to respond only in reference to the original jist of the thread. Perhaps I should have been clearer.

For the most part all I've gotten is wonderful support and appreciation for my contribution on this board. This thread is no exception.

(But while we're on the subject, can you really talk??? Why do you feel the need to come in and tell me how wrong my correspondence with another poster is if it's got nothing to do with you?? I don't do that when I see you responding in ways I feel are inappropriate....)
Tags:homework
Reply Up