Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Off Topic But I Need Advice...
KAWISTA9 12:36 AM 12-26-2011
I have a 17 month old son. He usually takes a nap each day around 1 or 2pm for an hour and a half to two hours. We my dad came into town and picked him up and took him to houston. He has been there since 10 pm friday night. Well he enjoys himself throughout the day and my dad has been trying to keep him up, but every night between 8 and 9 pm he gets very emotional and cranky. My dad believes it is because he misses me which I am sure of, but I also know that my son can be pretty emotional and cranky when he does not sleep. He is not one who will put himself down for a nap but he used to me putting him down for a nap daily and he eventually falls asleep. My dad refuses and it upsets me. He has spent the past two nights crying on skype and I could see if he got emotional each time we skyped but this morning after he had a good nights rest he was happy and laughing with me on skype and not upset that I was not there in real life. I just want to tell him to bring my baby back him. I miss him sooo much and I hate to see him cry. But it seems like he wants to do what he wants and not try to put him to sleep for a simple nap. Keeping him up all day is not going to make him go to sleep at night. It hasn't worked for two days now! Am I going over board...should I firmly as my dad to get him to take a nap?(which I already did) but am I crazy controlling Or a truly concerned mom...and YES it has been a VERY long time since he has been away from me...he probably doesn't remember the times he was with my mom but I stopped him from going so it has been maybe a little less than a year. I hate when I let him go just to please my family and they do what they want and I regret letting him go!
Michelle 06:34 AM 12-26-2011
you didn't have your son with you for Christmas?

Well anyway, tell your dad that he needs to keep him on the schedule he is used to. ....and to bring him home!
beachgrl 06:35 AM 12-26-2011
That is hard I'm sure, I'd prolly day that if they can't keep his normal routine then maybe he doesn't need to visit right now..children are very much into their routines when they have consistency it's better but at same time he is in a different place, out of his routine, and with people doing things a bit differently so it might take more than a couple days for him to adjust. How long is he supposed to stay?
momofboys 06:51 AM 12-26-2011
I realize he is not napping with your dad which is likely why he is cranky. Not to mention if you are Skypeing w/him at 8 or 9 pm mopst kids that age would be in bed sleeping. I'd suggest to your dad if you won't put him down for a nap he needs a much earlier bedtime, at least 7 or 7:30. My 4-year-old goes to bed at 8:00 pm & he does not nap either but I realize your son is much younger. He definitely should be in bed by 8 if he is not napping.
KAWISTA9 10:19 AM 12-26-2011
I do not celebrate Christmas but this was the only time that certain people in my family would be in town. I do not believe it is Jesus' birthday and I not want my son filled with the gimme syndrome. Even though I have created a small tradition for us that would ensure that he would not be the only kid without a little something around this season but I want him to know the truth and my family respects that. I have an aunt in who lives in Japan and this was one of the only times she would be in the states and because of the daycare I just not have the time to make frequent trips to Houston and neither do I care to. I just thought it was nice that my dad was willing to make the whole trip so that he could meet family that he has not met before. But I could not go with them seeing that he is going to be there until Friday and I have clients this week (so gut wrenching). I am being patient to see what my dad is going to do today. My son usually has a nap from 2-4 and he goes to bed between 9-10 at night! We are night owls which I do not mind but I can absolutely see the tiredness in his face. Usually he can never make it throughout the day without a nap. And yes it can take 10 to 20 minutes at times for me to get him to nap but I know it works for him! I am being prayerful because I want to yell and say bring me my baby!
Breezy 01:11 PM 12-26-2011
I dont think its controlling at all. He needs to nap. Most infants and toddlers I know and care for, including my own child need adeqate sleep in the day jn order to have a good night sleep at night. I would be so upset if my mom or dad didnt put my child to a nap after being asked to do so.
dave4him 02:36 PM 12-26-2011
They should be doing the best for the child, and that is to follow routine. Remind them of this
PitterPatter 04:53 PM 12-26-2011
Originally Posted by KAWISTA9:
I do not celebrate Christmas but this was the only time that certain people in my family would be in town. I do not believe it is Jesus' birthday and I not want my son filled with the gimme syndrome. Even though I have created a small tradition for us that would ensure that he would not be the only kid without a little something around this season but I want him to know the truth and my family respects that. I have an aunt in who lives in Japan and this was one of the only times she would be in the states and because of the daycare I just not have the time to make frequent trips to Houston and neither do I care to. I just thought it was nice that my dad was willing to make the whole trip so that he could meet family that he has not met before. But I could not go with them seeing that he is going to be there until Friday and I have clients this week (so gut wrenching). I am being patient to see what my dad is going to do today. My son usually has a nap from 2-4 and he goes to bed between 9-10 at night! We are night owls which I do not mind but I can absolutely see the tiredness in his face. Usually he can never make it throughout the day without a nap. And yes it can take 10 to 20 minutes at times for me to get him to nap but I know it works for him! I am being prayerful because I want to yell and say bring me my baby!
It's good that your family respects your beliefs on Christmas but more importantly they need to repsect you and your son also. Disregarding a small childs routine and the wishes of his Mother is disrespectful. I don't mean any offense here just pointing out a new aspect that you may not have thought of. I would mention this to your Dad. Good luck I hope your baby gets his nap soon!
KAWISTA9 10:09 PM 12-26-2011
He interrupted their plans and made sure that he drove home and put my son down for a nap!! I didn't have to go off on him because I am not afraid to!!! He had a nap and tonight there was not a cranky crying baby just a happy baby who happily went to sleep on time. I just knew that my dad would do what was right (probably only because my mom is not allowed to have my son by herself simply because she did not want to follow my desires with my son when I was not around) I try so hard to be nice because all my family is in Houston and I am here in New Orleans, but it is what it is and if you are not willing to respect me and my son, then you can just not see him. Sometimes I feel like my parents think that I am a 17 or 18 year old having a baby. My mom especially just need that I was going to leave him up to her to raise! I love my son and am willing to deal with my child. I am 26 by the way. The cercumstances were not so great surrounding his birth, but I love him and I want to give him everything he needs and dare I be different from my parents!!! But thanks guys. He did it and I am satisfied that my little honey was happy tonight. But I am not...I just cannot wait til he comes back. I always regret it when I let him go...
Ariana 03:58 PM 12-27-2011
Yeah I wouldn't be letting my 17 month old child to travel all the way to Houston without me I guess he's used to your dad and being with him? Hopefully your dad will wisen up and start following the routine from now on.
KAWISTA9 12:04 AM 12-28-2011
My dad has been working really hard. He has made so many trips to New Orleans to spend time with my son...so that the both of us can get used to him and such...He has wisened up. I am happy that he actually did what I asked and there was an immediate improvement in my son's behavior! My mom on the other hand will do whatever she wants and lie to your face about it. I am trying to be understanding to the fact the alot of my family does not get to see him very often and I just don't have the time to go out there or the money. He really stretched himself and I was so sure that he would do right. I got scared but he did it.
Tags:inlaws
Reply Up