Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Field Trips
TGT09 06:56 AM 05-25-2010
How do you work summer field trips? Do you pay for the whole thing? Do you make parents pay for the whole thing? Do you split the cost?

How far in advance do you let parents know?

I am leaning towards splitting the cost but would really like to ask parents to pay the whole thing, is that bad? I'm trying to do at least one field trip a week though and maybe that's too much? Should I just eat the cost? I feel like we sit at home all winter long and come summer, I just want to get out of the house! I have the ability to go...the carseats and vehicle.

Unfortunately, I don't always know how many kids I have for the day until that morning so sometimes I plan field trips on a whim. My parents don't mind but wondered how it works if I want them to pick up the field trip tab? Or at least part of it?
fctjc1979 07:33 AM 05-25-2010
The daycare that I sent my daughter to when I was going to college handled summer field trips like this - There was an extra $75 fee at the beginning of summer for each child that the center used for field trips. The center budgeted out the money for the summer. If there was extra money at the end of the summer, they gave it back to the parents. If they went over the amount, the center had to eat the difference. One year we got somewhere around $7 back and the next year the center had gone over the budget and ended up paying for the last field trip.
AfterSchoolMom 09:03 AM 05-25-2010
I like the idea of a pre summer "activities" fee, and I think that if the parents know that they'll get back any extras at the end, they'll be more receptive. That way you're not constantly (in their eyes) asking for more money all summer long. I would definitely get the parents to pay one way or another, though. You're providing them a great service by keeping the kids entertained, educated, and stimulated all summer via the field trips, it shouldn't be your responsibility to pay for them too!
jen 09:41 AM 05-25-2010
I pay for them myself and then write it off at the end of the year.
melskids 09:42 AM 05-25-2010
i actually pay for field trips, its included in my regular tuition. so the parents are paying for them, they just don't know it. (they do send extra $$ if there is a gift shop if the kiddos want to buy something there).
originalkat 01:53 PM 05-25-2010
I do NOT pay for field trips. That is just crazy IMO. There is no reason that a parent cant fork over $4 to go somewhere. I only do 1 per month in the summer. Then we will be going to the park once per week (which is free). I think an activity fee for the summer would also work.
Former Teacher 02:08 PM 05-25-2010
At my former center..this is where the profits would come in

The owner/director would charge the parents the actual cost plus an added on fee for cost of gas, wear and tear on the van etc.. This also factored in that during the school year we did not charge an activity fee for supplies.

Example: city pool costs $1.50. Our charge was $3.00. Yes parents were upset but they paid it once we explained to them that also on these trips the teachers need to get in as well. Plus the reasoning as I said above

Over the summer it was like this:

Mondays Shave Ice
Tues Craft Day
Wed Field trip
Thurs Swimming
Fri Free day
Michael 02:54 PM 05-25-2010
Some more tag threads on FIELD TRIPS: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=field+trips
Tags:field trips
Reply Up