Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Difference Between German And American Daycare
playground1 04:02 AM 06-11-2014
My daughter made this in daycare a while ago...

*FTR, that fanny pack was NOT my idea.
NightOwl 04:22 AM 06-11-2014
Omg! WHY?
playground1 04:28 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Omg! WHY?
I think they were looking for cheap crafts to do. It's a bag from a fruit and vegetable store that she colored and put eyeholes in. I guess they don#t have the same context for hoods that we do.
Blackcat31 05:01 AM 06-11-2014
What are implying is the difference between American daycare and German daycare?

What does daycare have to do with it?

If your are referring to the fact that your DD's mask/hat could appear to be controversial, I can see why it would be offensive in America but what does it have to do with German daycare?

Also pointed hats have been a distinctive item of headgear of a wide range of cultures throughout history.
Unregistered 05:06 AM 06-11-2014
I think she lives in Germany and her daughter made it in a German daycare?
playground1 05:09 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If your are referring to the fact that your DD's mask/hat could appear to be controversial, I can see why it would be offensive in America but what does it have to do with German daycare?
Also pointed hats have been a distinctive item of headgear of a wide range of cultures throughout history.

Originally Posted by :
I guess they don#t have the same context for hoods that we do.
We just said the same thing.

It has to do with daycare because she made it in daycare, that's it.
Blackcat31 05:10 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think she lives in Germany and her daughter made it in a German daycare?
I am aware she lives in Germany... ?
Blackcat31 05:13 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by queen_of_the_playground:
We just said the same thing.

It has to do with daycare because she made it in daycare, that's it.
Still not getting your point.

Daycares in most countries probably make crafts that differ from other countries too...

Are we discussing the differences between daycare "norms" from one country compared to another?
playground1 05:20 AM 06-11-2014
Still not getting your point.

Daycares in most countries probably make crafts that differ from other countries too...

Are we discussing the differences between daycare "norms" from one country compared to another?
I think you might be taking it a bit seriously, it was only meant to be funny. At least my family got a good laugh out if it. It's like this kind of thing:

The kid (and presumably his parents) has no idea what it means to us.
Unregistered 05:20 AM 06-11-2014
In America thia hat could be seen as controversial.
In Germany apparently it wouldn't. I believe that's what she is implying.
playground1 05:22 AM 06-11-2014
In America thia hat could be seen as controversial.
In Germany apparently it wouldn't. I believe that's what she is implying.

Blackcat31 05:22 AM 06-11-2014
I think you might be taking it a bit seriously, it was only meant to be funny. At least my family got a good laugh out if it.

The shirt is funny and probably only offensive to a few.

The reference to the hat is NOT funny, offensive to millions and NOT something I would ever make a joke about.
playground1 05:23 AM 06-11-2014
The shirt is funny and probably only offensive to a few.

The reference to the hat is NOT funny, offensive to millions and NOT something I would ever make a joke about.
*shrug* To each his own then. The point is that it's not offensive to anyone. Here.
Blackcat31 05:26 AM 06-11-2014
*shrug* To each his own then. The point is that it's not offensive to anyone. Here.
Thanks for respecting the views of millions of others..

Have at 'er...

*SHRUG*
Unregistered 05:27 AM 06-11-2014
lol What does that shirt say? Too drunk to? Yeah,that would not fly in American schools!
playground1 05:30 AM 06-11-2014
Thanks for respecting the views of millions of others..

Have at 'er...

*SHRUG*
I don't think you need to take it quite so personally.
Unregistered 05:30 AM 06-11-2014
She was saying it was funny that no one thought it was offensive in Germany not that the hat and history of KKK was funny.Yes,you are taking it way out of context.
Proved your point though,it is controversial here in America.
cheerfuldom 05:44 AM 06-11-2014
calm down BC
Blackcat31 05:56 AM 06-11-2014
She was saying it was funny that no one thought it was offensive in Germany not that the hat and history of KKK was funny.Yes,you are taking it way out of context.
Proved your point though,it is controversial here in America.
Will you stop trying to tell me what she is trying to say...

I get it. She thinks it is funny. *SHRUG*

I don't. Am I required to agree?
BumbleBee 05:57 AM 06-11-2014
BC-just because you, personally, wouldn't joke about the hat does not mean everybody wouldn't. Take a step back & take a deep breath. This is, quite obviously, a hot button topic for you. I respect that but you can be respectful while disagreeing with someone.
Blackcat31 05:58 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
calm down BC
I am not worked.

I have just as much right to be offended as she does to think it's funny.
Blackcat31 05:58 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
BC-just because you, personally, wouldn't joke about the hat does not mean everybody wouldn't. Take a step back & take a deep breath. This is, quite obviously, a hot button topic for you. I respect that but you can be respectful while disagreeing with someone.
Woah! Seriously?

I'm out.
Unregistered 06:01 AM 06-11-2014
I still want to know what the shirt says?
BumbleBee 06:01 AM 06-11-2014
Woah! Seriously?

I'm out.
What is up with you today? I get that you're offended but there's no need for the attitude that's coming across in your posts.
playground1 06:03 AM 06-11-2014
I still want to know what the shirt says?
Too drunk to funk. Only it doesn't say funk.
Unregistered 06:06 AM 06-11-2014
What!!??? No way! That has to be photoshopped.That's offensive in any country. So funny!
I was going to make cute little daycare t-shirt for my daycare kids this summer with my logo.
Maybe I should rethink my ideas.lol
playground1 06:11 AM 06-11-2014
What!!??? No way! That has to be photoshopped.That's offensive in any country. So funny!
I was going to make cute little daycare t-shirt for my daycare kids this summer with my logo.
Maybe I should rethink my ideas.lol
It's not if you can't read English. If you look closely, everyone is Chinese. It's in China.

I'd go with your original plan, though.
NeedaVaca 06:15 AM 06-11-2014
I think you might be taking it a bit seriously, it was only meant to be funny. At least my family got a good laugh out if it. It's like this kind of thing:

Eh, they knew what it meant. Hopefully not the kid, but the parents did.
playground1 06:23 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Eh, they knew what it meant. Hopefully not the kid, but the parents did.
They likely don't read English.
SignMeUp 06:28 AM 06-11-2014
For the record, I find it offensive.
NightOwl 06:40 AM 06-11-2014
It's extremely offensive! But they don't see it that way in Germany because they don't have the same history as we do with those pointy hats. That's her point. Big differences between our countries.
Leanna 06:41 AM 06-11-2014
Weird thread.

However, I am offended by the photo as well.

I would be livid if my child made something like that in school, daycare, etc.

I do not buy that it is a "cultural" thing...and I don't think any of you really do either.

I also don't think Blackcat's responses were hotheaded or out of line in any way.

Queen, even if you truly believe that they don't get it, YOU DO. I would
A) educate them and B) not post that pic
MarinaVanessa 06:42 AM 06-11-2014
I think it's offensive for the obvious reasons that the KKK have used hoods similar to the ones in the picture and for what the KKK stand for. I can only hope that what queen is referring to as not being offensive is because a hood like that represents something different in Germany than it does for us in the US.

In any case, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
kimsdaycare 06:43 AM 06-11-2014
Wow. BC, I strongly suspect you totally got what she was trying to say from the beginning and chose to drag that one out.

I don't typically respond to stuff that bugs me like this but omg, that was all very unnecessary.
Annalee 06:46 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by Leanna:
Weird thread.

I do not buy that it is a "cultural" thing...and I don't think any of you really do either.

I also don't think Blackcat's responses were hotheaded or out of line in any way.

NeedaVaca 06:55 AM 06-11-2014
Weird thread.

playground1 06:56 AM 06-11-2014
Weird thread.

Lol...no really, I literally laughed. "Hey, European continent, let me educate you on what you should be offended by." Good one.
daycare 07:04 AM 06-11-2014
OK this thread got me.........I don't understand why is wrong with the hat? Am I that unaware of America?

Forgive me, I didn't grow up here.
lynne 07:06 AM 06-11-2014
Weird thread.

NightOwl 07:07 AM 06-11-2014
Google KKK
Meeko 07:15 AM 06-11-2014
The point is...different cultures/countries find different things offensive. For instance, the OP put a note on her post referencing the "fanny pack"

In the US, that is simply a bag worn around the waist. So?????

I am from the UK. "Fanny" there...means female intimate personal bits and "fanny pack" has a WHOOOOOOLE other meaning!!!!!

I am not offended to see a photo of a child and a mention of a fanny pack.....because I know none was meant. The OP had no idea (she does now! LOL) that such a thing is offensive in another country.

I smiled at the photo...not because the idea of a child in a KKK hat is funny...just that it is interesting that different cultures have very different ideas of what is offensive.
Leanna 07:25 AM 06-11-2014
Lol...no really, I literally laughed. "Hey, European continent, let me educate you on what you should be offended by." Good one.
You know I meant to educate the day care, not Europe as a whole.
Country Kids 07:27 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
The point is...different cultures/countries find different things offensive. For instance, the OP put a note on her post referencing the "fanny pack"

I am from the UK. "Fanny" there...means female intimate personal bits and "fanny pack" has a WHOOOOOOLE other meaning!!!!!

I am not offended to see a photo of a child and a mention of a fanny pack.....because I know none was meant. The OP had no idea (she does now! LOL) that such a thing is offensive in another country.

I smiled at the photo...not because the idea of a child in a KKK hat is funny...just that it is interesting that different cultures have very different ideas of what is offensive.
Very well put!!!

NeedaVaca 07:39 AM 06-11-2014

OP has lived in the US, she knows exactly what it meant.
BumbleBee 07:41 AM 06-11-2014
If your intent was to rile people up, well done. May you enjoy the rest of your day.
Blackcat31 07:53 AM 06-11-2014
If your intent was to rile people up, well done. May you enjoy the rest of your day.
THAT was my point.

I drug it out purposely.....hoping the OP would be willing to expand on her intentions.

I am not stupid and totally get what the point of the thread was....hence my replies...

What I am and am not personally offended by has nothing to do with this.

My replies were also based on several thoughts and opinions shared privately with me.

So just in case anyone is wondering, my undies aren't in a bunch...those of you who do know me, know it takes ALOT to get me going.

I simply felt the need to have OP explain her own actions rather than me or anyone else speaking for her.

As for this thread...I will not be visiting it again as I do not care to get into a pissing match with some one I feel has little or no respect for other people's opinions when they differ and I certainly do not share the same sense of humor so if the thread gets anymore heated or out of hand, please PM me.

(Please note my use of the word "I" as in I am not expecting others to agree or disagree...just making it clear that those words are MINE)
Annalee 07:54 AM 06-11-2014
I call things like this "shock treatment" and too many persons use it today and find joy in it!
daycare 07:56 AM 06-11-2014

I agree with this...................

now seeing what it is, I understand. Of course that would not be such an issue in Germany as it did not exist there correct?

thank you for helping me to understand...
kimsdaycare 08:08 AM 06-11-2014
THAT was my point.

I drug it out purposely.....hoping the OP would be willing to expand on her intentions.

I am not stupid and totally get what the point of the thread was....hence my replies...

My replies were also based on several thoughts and opinions shared privately with me.

So just in case anyone is wondering, my undies aren't in a bunch...those of you who do know me, know it takes ALOT to get me going.

I simply felt the need to have OP explain her own actions rather than me or anyone else speaking for her.

As for this thread...I will not be visiting it again as I do not care to get into a pissing match with some one I feel has little or no respect for other people's opinions when they differ and I certainly do not share the same sense of humor so if the thread gets anymore heated or out of hand, please PM me.

(Please note my use of the word "I" as in I am not expecting others to agree or disagree...just making it clear that those words are MINE)
Exactly as I suspected, but unfortunately BC, it was your baiting that took this in the direction we are blaming the OP for. It was not only obvious, it was the only part that got my feathers ruffled oddly enough.

I know you will read the rest of the posts out of curiosity if nothing else, so really it was not necessary to make that second "official exit" from this thread. I could so see you calling out someone else doing that, this whole thing is so bizarre to me.

Forum cycle indeed, myself included today I guess.
KidGrind 08:12 AM 06-11-2014
I am not worked.

I have just as much right to be offended as she does to think it's funny.

playground1 08:14 AM 06-11-2014

Oh, please. These ladies riled themselves up with the help of Blackcat. She brought on the dramz because she's irritated about my words in another thread.

When this happened with my daughter, I posted it on FB, it got a bunch of likes, we all laughed. End of story. There is nothing to be offended over and to suggest that I go into her daycare and "educate" them...let me ask you how'd you'd react of a nice Afghani lady came into your DC and explained how offensive it is for you to wear pants.
playground1 08:16 AM 06-11-2014
THAT was my point.

You should give up mod status if you feel the need to instigate and cause problems.
KidGrind 08:21 AM 06-11-2014
Oh, please. These ladies riled themselves up with the help of Blackcat. She brought on the dramz because she's irritated about my words in another thread.

When this happened with my daughter, I posted it on FB, it got a bunch of likes, we all laughed. End of story. There is nothing to be offended over and to suggest that I go into her daycare and "educate" them...let me ask you how'd you'd react of a nice Afghani lady came into your DC and explained how offensive it is for you to wear pants.
Why would a lady come into my DC to explain it is offensive for me to wear pants?

It is my daycare.
I know a dozen or so Afghani women and they all wear pants.

I comprehend it may be offensive in Afghanistan. Yet, the ones I know wear pants. The dozen or so I know are of course a small number compared to Afghani population world wide.

Not everyone is going to find the same things funny. I do not think the child in the cone shape mask is funny. When I saw it I also did not correlate it with the KKK. It was simply a craft project. As a person who has dealt with hate groups, the correlation isn’t funny at all.

BC has a right to her opinion and method of operation, MOD or not. I see a disagreement. I don’t see drama on this thread. We see it differently and that’s alright with me.
playground1 08:27 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
Why would a lady come into my DC to explain it is offensive for me to wear pants?

It is my daycare.

I comprehend it may be offensive in Afghanistan. Yet, the ones I Know wear pants. The dozen or so I know are of course a small number compared to Afghanis world wide.

Not everyone is going to find the same things funny. I do not think the child in the cone shape mask is funny. When I saw it I also did not correlate it with the KKK. It was simply a craft project. As a person who has dealt with hate groups, the correlation isn’t funny at all.

BC has a right to her opinion and her method of operation, MOD or not. I see a disagreement. I don’t see drama on this thread. We see differently and that’s alright with me.

KidGrind 08:28 AM 06-11-2014

daycare 08:28 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:

It is my daycare.

I comprehend it may be offensive in Afghanistan. Yet, the ones I know wear pants. The dozen or so I know are of course a small number compared to Afghani population world wide.

BC has a right to her opinion and method of operation, MOD or not. I see a disagreement. I don’t see drama on this thread. We see it differently and that’s alright with me.
Lets just all chalk it up to each their own and leave it at that... This thread has nothing to do with BC. So let's just either leave a comment about the OPs OG post or leave it alone.

Thanks ladies
KidGrind 08:34 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
Lets just all chalk it up to each their own and leave it at that... This thread has nothing to do with BC. So let's just either leave a comment about the OPs OG post or leave it alone.

Thanks ladies
Did she not comment? Was not a comment made that she should reconsider her MOD status?

Mod or not Daycare I am respectfully asking you not to dictate how I express myself if I am addressing or sharing my opinion in respectful manner.

Thank you.
MarinaVanessa 08:34 AM 06-11-2014
You should give up mod status if you feel the need to instigate and cause problems.

Meeko 08:48 AM 06-11-2014
Would you walk into a room full of men and (at 16 years of age) ask if anyone had a rubber?

In the UK, you would be asking if they had a chalkboard eraser. (My best friend did this to a room full of Americans in a UK office. She never forgot the looks on their faces and she's 53 now!

While visiting me here in the USA from England, my mother (in a waaay too loud voice) asked me in the grocery store...."Are you going to do a joint this weekend". She was (in Brit talk) innocently asking me if I was going to cook a pot roast that weekend..........

Please smile and see the humor in the fact that we are not all the same. Something innocent and every day in one country can be offensive or at least shocking in another country.

I think that was what what the OP was trying to show.
playground1 08:53 AM 06-11-2014
Would you walk into a room full of men and (at 16 years of age) ask if anyone had a rubber?

In the UK, you would be asking if they had a chalkboard eraser. (My best friend did this to a room full of Americans in a UK office. She never forgot the looks on their faces and she's 53 now!

While visiting me here in the USA from England, my mother (in a waaay too loud voice) asked me in the grocery store...."Are you going to do a joint this weekend". She was (in Brit talk) innocently asking me if I was going to cook a pot roast that weekend..........

Please smile and see the humor in the fact that we are not all the same. Something innocent and every day in one country can be offensive or at least shocking in another country.

I think that was what what the OP was trying to show.
That's it, thanks for understanding. My UK friends have a good giggle every time I use the word "pants". One lady I nannied for scared the crap out of me by taking me aside and saying very seriously, "We need to have a talk. Can you tell me why my child is saying diaper instead of nappy? And in a Texas accent?"

Thank god, she was kidding.
NightOwl 08:55 AM 06-11-2014
Wow. This one also went south FAST. I think lots of people have an attitude issue today. I see several snarky posts from folks who usually aren't snarky, so is there a full moon? No, that's Friday I think.
craftymissbeth 09:00 AM 06-11-2014
I can see the "humor" in it... although, according to this article written in '92, the KKK have been there since around then. I find it extremely hard to believe that Germans are unaware... yet I'm sure the days of wearing the hoods are long over and likely never occurred over here in the first place. But that's just my guess.

https://www.greenleft.org.au/node/2318

I think it's kind of horrid, but to each their own.
Meeko 09:05 AM 06-11-2014
That's it, thanks for understanding. My UK friends have a good giggle every time I use the word "pants". One lady I nannied for scared the crap out of me by taking me aside and saying very seriously, "We need to have a talk. Can you tell me why my child is saying diaper instead of nappy? And in a Texas accent?"

Thank god, she was kidding.
I have had to learn to change words I used over the years. Nappies and diapers for one!

Kids in the UK have dummies (pacifier here)

A jumper in the UK is a sweater. Here... it's a suicidal person on a ledge....

Pants in the UK means underwear. I found that one strange for a long time. Hearing someone say they had just bought some awesome new pants made me wonder why they felt I needed to know they had just purchased new undies!

Being from another country, I have insight into what is acceptable in one place, isn't in another. It can be awkward at times...but often funny.
playground1 09:06 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I can see the "humor" in it... although, according to this article written in '92, the KKK have been there since around then. I find it extremely hard to believe that Germans are unaware... yet I'm sure the days of wearing the hoods are long over and likely never occurred over here in the first place. But that's just my guess.

https://www.greenleft.org.au/node/2318

I think it's kind of horrid, but to each their own.
They're mostly well informed, especially about American history, so it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of did know what it was. But the hood simply isn't iconic of racism like it is at home. Also, her carer is eastern European, so she doesn't have the same education as Germans. I guarantee you that she didn't do it on purpose. Although I do think it's kind of scary even with no context.
craftymissbeth 09:06 AM 06-11-2014
I took another look just to see why it makes me feel so... blech... and I think the most shocking part is that it's a modern child (with a cute little fanny pack, no less lol) with what looks like to ME to be a KKK hood (I know it wasn't meant to be). Maybe it's just the fact that Americans have a history behind hoods that style and it's engrained into us that it's a very negative history, kwim?
craftymissbeth 09:07 AM 06-11-2014
They're mostly well informed, especially about American history, so it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of did know what it was. But the hood simply isn't iconic of racism like it is at home. Also, her carer is eastern European, so she doesn't have the same education as Germans. I guarantee you that she didn't do it on purpose. Although I do think it's kind of scary even with no context.

I mean... without thinking about the history that style of hood has in America... it was very well crafted
Michelle 09:09 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
we would never have any mods then!

playground1 09:14 AM 06-11-2014
I took another look just to see why it makes me feel so... blech... and I think the most shocking part is that it's a modern child (with a cute little fanny pack, no less lol) with what looks like to ME to be a KKK hood (I know it wasn't meant to be). Maybe it's just the fact that Americans have a history behind hoods that style and it's engrained into us that it's a very negative history, kwim?
Yes, exactly! My initial reaction was to find it humorous, because I know that it was not intended at all. I guess I assumed everyone else would see that. I apparently misjudged.
playground1 09:15 AM 06-11-2014

I mean... without thinking about the history that style of hood has in America... it was very well crafted
Well, thanks, I'll tell her you said that. She saw me posting it and got all excited that I was sharing it. I'm saving that talk for another time.
Michelle 09:25 AM 06-11-2014
to tell you how Americans are careful about this issue..
We coach a girls softball team every Summer and just yesterday I was asking the girls what nick name they wanted on the back of their jerseys

One of the girls said "KK" just 2 k's but I still checked with the mom and made sure it was O.K. with her
I'm sure she had no idea what kkk was and I didn't even bring up the subject at all.
most of my daycare consists of african americans and some of their parents are from the south so I can definitely see where BC is coming from.
I am glad that we are haing this conversation and I am glad we are at a place in history where we are offended by these hoods.
SquirrellyMama 09:26 AM 06-11-2014
Oh my, what a thread. OP I understood your joke and was not offended. I think part of the problem with society isn't necessarily that we take offense at things, but the fact that we feel the need to express it out loud all the time.

I had to laugh at the comment about educating the daycare also. When I lived in Spain they had parades leading up to Easter. Many of the marchers wore similar hoods. I didn't feel the need to educate the country.

There is one important thing I will take away from this thread. If I am ever in the UK I will not talk about my new pants

Kelly
playground1 09:28 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by Michelle:
to tell you how Americans are careful about this issue..
We coach a girls softball team every Summer and just yesterday I was asking the girls what nick name they wanted on the back of their jerseys

One of the girls said "KK" just 2 k's but I still checked with the mom and made sure it was O.K. with her
I'm sure she had no idea what kkk was and I didn't even bring up the subject at all.
most of my daycare consists of african americans and some of their parents are from the south so I can definitely see where BC is coming from.
I am glad that we are haing this conversation and I am glad we are at a place in history where we are offended by these hoods.
See, I just feel like that's a bit to sensitive. I'd rather people be offended by racism than hoods.
Meeko 09:30 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
If I am ever in the UK I will not talk about my new pants ��

Kelly
Good idea!
Meeko 09:31 AM 06-11-2014
My posts are being monitored? Did I say something to offend someone?
Meeko 09:32 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
Oh my, what a thread. OP I understood your joke and was not offended. I think part of the problem with society isn't necessarily that we take offense at things, but the fact that we feel the need to express it out loud all the time.

I had to laugh at the comment about educating the daycare also. When I lived in Spain they had parades leading up to Easter. Many of the marchers wore similar hoods. I didn't feel the need to educate the country.

There is one important thing I will take away from this thread. If I am ever in the UK I will not talk about my new pants ��

Kelly

daycare 09:33 AM 06-11-2014
I just noticed that, not too sure why? let me look into it..

one was and one was not
Michelle 09:36 AM 06-11-2014
See, I just feel like that's a bit to sensitive. I'd rather people be offended by racism than hoods.
they wore those hoods while killing black people..they hung them from trees and burned their houses down with children in their homes
please read some history about America
Unregistered 09:38 AM 06-11-2014
If I'm being honest, the t-shirt photo was offensive, too. Made me feel bad for alcoholics with erectile dysfunction.
playground1 09:39 AM 06-11-2014
they wore those hoods while killing black people..they hung them from trees and burned their houses down with children in their homes
please read some history about America
I minored in American History. They did it without the hoods too. Let's not be histronic, k?
playground1 09:39 AM 06-11-2014
If I'm being honest, the t-shirt photo was offensive, too. Made me feel bad for alcoholics with erectile dysfunction.

daycare 09:43 AM 06-11-2014
it was because of those funny symbols in kellys post that you replied to.

it should not happen any more.....so I am told!!
SquirrellyMama 09:45 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
it was because of those funny symbols in kellys post that you replied to.

it should not happen any more.....so I am told!!
Sorry, it was supposed to be a smiley face. I was posting from my phone.

Kelly
playground1 09:55 AM 06-11-2014
It's because you said rubber.
Michelle 09:57 AM 06-11-2014
I minored in American History. They did it without the hoods too. Let's not be histronic, k?
right , I am very dramatic
I am sure there are plenty of African American's that would love to have this conversation with you face to face
playground1 10:00 AM 06-11-2014
right , I am very dramatic
I am sure there are plenty of African American's that would love to have this conversation with you face to face
You think they'd prefer to focus on symbols rather than actual racism and violence? First the KKK was out for more than AA blood. It was gays, mixed race, women who got uppity. Everyone feared them.

Today, it's not the racists we know about that are the problem. Society mostly marginalizes them. It's the sneaky ones that are the problem.
Leanna 10:03 AM 06-11-2014
Ok, let's flip that around...hw would you feel if someone said maybe you should give up membership if you feel the need to purposely post offensive photos and then feign innocence and ignorance about the content?

I don't see anyone "riled up." Some people were offended and you are upset that they didn't like your idea of a joke. You posted it on Facebook & got a response so you decided to test it out in another place, but people here ARE offended.

So they are educated on American history and still decided to do it..kinda sad especially knowing that there are American children and families in the program.

Yes, exactly! My initial reaction was to find it humorous, because I know that it was not intended at all. I guess I assumed everyone else would see that. I apparently misjudged.
I don't think you misjudged. IMHO, I think you knew the reaction you would get.
playground1 10:10 AM 06-11-2014
Leanna, did you happen to notice that everyone here is kind of done talking about it but you? If you're convinced I'm doing it for a reaction than why are you reacting?
Leanna 10:17 AM 06-11-2014
Leanna, did you happen to notice that everyone here is kind of done talking about it but you? If you're convinced I'm doing it for a reaction than why are you reacting?
"And what I'm trying to say is that you need to stop trying to censor what other people say. We're all grown-ups here and should all know how to deal with honest criticism." -queen_of_the_playground on Daycare.com
playground1 10:18 AM 06-11-2014
"And what I'm trying to say is that you need to stop trying to censor what other people say. We're all grown-ups here and should all know how to deal with honest criticism." -queen_of_the_playground on Daycare.com
And what do those two thing have to do with each other. I'm not telling you not to talk, I'm asking you why you're doing it.
SilverSabre25 10:23 AM 06-11-2014
I'm offended by the suggestion that BC give up mod status!

j/k

I actually did lose my mod status because of one person who didn't like something I said on her post though...
CedarCreek 10:33 AM 06-11-2014
Yeah, I'm not stepping into this house of crazy.

BUT..

Silver, I didn't know that! Sorry that happened.
KidGrind 10:35 AM 06-11-2014

Today, it's not the racists we know about that are the problem. Society mostly marginalizes them. It's the sneaky ones that are the problem.
We agree on something.
SignMeUp 11:35 AM 06-11-2014

Today, it's not the racists we know about that are the problem. Society mostly marginalizes them.
Sadly, this is not actually true in many places in the United States.

It's the sneaky ones that are the problem.
This I agree with. It includes people who are clueless, and those who pretend to be.
Laurel 01:37 PM 06-11-2014
My first thought was KKK but now that I look at it again it also looks like the head of one of those garden gnomes. The triangular part being his beard.

Laurel
preschoolteacher 07:41 PM 06-11-2014
I thought it was a scary gnome, but the screen on my phone is small. I get it now.

Honestly, I like it better when we stick to giving each other advice and support. And I appreciate the people like BC who put a lot of time into reading everyone's posts and writing thoughtful and helpful things.

This has been a really positive forum for a long time. I'd like to see this other kind of posting stop.
cheerfuldom 10:06 AM 06-12-2014
well shoot, I commented once and then come back a few days later and the post exploded.

for the record (not that anyone should care, this whole thing is over), i didnt necessarily find it funny but people, not naming names, sometimes take things too far in either defending for or against a post and it is just silly. i can disagree with someone and just completely move on and not care about what one person posted on a forum.....one person i dont know and frankly, dont care about in anyway. was the op innocently posting a photo? was she trying to get a rise out of people? WHO CARES!
Tags:butthurt, controversial
Reply Up