Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dcb Spilled The Beans About Dcm's Employment.
melilley 11:59 AM 08-21-2014
I have a former dcb who left here last fall to go to preschool and came in as a drop in today, he is now 4. I have his brother full time. Well today I was talking to him and asking him if he was excited to go back to preschool and he said yes he's ready to go to his old school and that his mom will be a teacher there, but not in his class. I told him that no, she works in a preschool, but not the one he is going to. He proceeded to tell me that no, she is a teacher at his school now and that she got fired from her other job by Ms. K.

Well all summer she has told me that she was only working at her school for 2-3 days a week. She just told me on Monday that she is going back this week full time and never mentioned changing schools. It makes me wonder if former dcb has his stories mixed up or if dcm really did get fired and hasn't told me (this dcm has lied to me before, I have only caught her in a couple and the rest I cannot confirm as lies).

Now I have to ask her or her dh if what dcb said is true. How awkward!
Funny how truthful kids can be!
NightOwl 12:47 PM 08-21-2014
Yes and 4 year olds have no concept of things like being fired unless it's brought up at home. So I'm betting it's true!
Meeko 01:05 PM 08-21-2014
Bring it up to the mom. I would tell her that her son told you she was working somewhere else and that you will need the address and phone etc. for your records. Then watch her reaction.
TwinKristi 01:31 PM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Bring it up to the mom. I would tell her that her son told you she was working somewhere else and that you will need the address and phone etc. for your records. Then watch her reaction.
Yeah just act like no big deal, just need to update contact info if that's the case.
Mister Sir Husband 02:11 PM 08-21-2014
Or.. call the contact info you have on her now " just to check that it's valid" (nys has us doing these things anyways for emergency contacts) . If your told she no longer works there.. busted.

Personally I wouldn't care either way if she was fired, changed jobs, quit.. lied about it, whatever. As long as her checks don't bounce
AmyKidsCo 02:23 PM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
Personally I wouldn't care either way if she was fired, changed jobs, quit.. lied about it, whatever. As long as her checks don't bounce
Ditto. As long as the checks don't bounce and I have accurate emergency info. Otherwise it's not my business.
daycare 03:29 PM 08-21-2014
I might just say...

Oh DCB told me you got a new job. Please don't forget to give me your new employment information for billies file. Thanks for helping me keep his file updated, I appreciate it.

I require all families to give me updates to their files every quarter . They need to report any changes, of address, phone, employment, and etc.

I personally don't care if they got fired, quit or what happend just give me updated information so that I can contact you when necessary.
midaycare 08:07 PM 08-21-2014
He's a drop in, right? As long as I have a cell for her, I wouldn't care or being it up. I might give her a new information sheet and just tell her "I'm updating my files. State requirement."
melilley 06:16 AM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
Or.. call the contact info you have on her now " just to check that it's valid" (nys has us doing these things anyways for emergency contacts) . If your told she no longer works there.. busted.

I know, I don't really care, it's just interesting that they didn't say anything. She works or worked at a preschool so she knows that contact info. needs to be updated.

I thought about calling, but won't. I'm going to ask dcd, dcm rarely picks up.

Oh, and one check has bounced in the past. This family seems to struggle with money, prob because dcm has had several jobs in the past 1.5 years that I have had dcb. But then again, they are always going camping or buying $5 lemonades at garage sales.
melilley 06:18 AM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
He's a drop in, right? As long as I have a cell for her, I wouldn't care or being it up. I might give her a new information sheet and just tell her "I'm updating my files. State requirement."
He is a drop in, but I have his brother f/t.
I'm going to ask tonight, I thought about just giving out new info. cards and going that route, but this family takes forever to return stuff.
melilley 06:19 AM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Yes and 4 year olds have no concept of things like being fired unless it's brought up at home. So I'm betting it's true!
I agree, it probably is true. I just think it's funny when the kids spill the beans!
KiddieCahoots 06:36 AM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I might just say...

Oh DCB told me you got a new job. Please don't forget to give me your new employment information for billies file. Thanks for helping me keep his file updated, I appreciate it.

I require all families to give me updates to their files every quarter . They need to report any changes, of address, phone, employment, and etc.

I personally don't care if they got fired, quit or what happend just give me updated information so that I can contact you when necessary.

The nature of this business is so tricky with that fine line..... where the parent is suppose to have full trust and faith in us with their child, but then....some...parents don't reciprocate
And in all honesty, we are putting full trust and faith in them with the business portion of the deal....payments, sick policies, blah...blah...blah...
It is clearly a two way street in this business. I find that the one way streeter's as clients, are usually not the good ones, and over time will lead to some sort of trouble.
lovemykidstoo 06:42 AM 08-22-2014
If you've ever been fired (and I have) it's humiliating. I don't blame her one bit for not telling you she was fired. Who would want to tell someone that. Just say to her that dcb said you were working at XYZ company now so can you please fill out a new info card. Leave it at that. I really don't consider it lieing at all.
SquirrellyMama 07:02 AM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
If you've ever been fired (and I have) it's humiliating. I don't blame her one bit for not telling you she was fired. Who would want to tell someone that. Just say to her that dcb said you were working at XYZ company now so can you please fill out a new info card. Leave it at that. I really don't consider it lieing at all.
I agree.
KiddieCahoots 07:15 AM 08-22-2014
I totally understand where you're coming from.
It still does not mean we should change the rules for one. By licensing regulations, we need multiple emergency contacts, specifically where the parent is currently employed.
Being compassionate as care givers is what we do, and do well, for the children and the parents.
If given the opportunity with their full trust, I'm sure melilley would've handled it with the greatest finesse.
lovemykidstoo 07:19 AM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
I totally understand where you're coming from.
It still does not mean we should change the rules for one. By licensing regulations, we need multiple emergency contacts, specifically where the parent is currently employed.
Being compassionate as care givers is what we do, and do well, for the children and the parents.
If given the opportunity with their full trust, I'm sure melilley would've handled it with the greatest finesse.
I absolutely agree, I didn't say that she should change the rules. I'm aware of what is required by licensing since I am a licensed home provider. I said that she should simply say to the dcm that she understands she's working somewhere else and give her a new card to fill out. I would not be upset that she didn't tell me she was fired or even ask her why she wasn't working at the old business.
Crazy8 07:51 AM 08-22-2014
I agree being fired is humiliating, BUT when your child is in someone elses care full time while you are working they should have that work info. When she got the new job she should have come in and said "I switched schools, here is the info for the school I'm at now". She doesn't have to mention getting fired, that really isn't any of our business - but where we can contact her while watching her child IS our business. And yes, cell phones are great but if a parent doesn't answer their cell you can be darn sure I am going to call their place of business next.

I would just have a new form ready for them at pick up and say "Billy told me you are working at his school now, if that is the case please fill out this new form so I have it for little Joey's file and PLEASE if there are ever any other changes to your contact information please let me know right away".
KiddieCahoots 08:02 AM 08-22-2014
I absolutely agree, I didn't say that she should change the rules. I'm aware of what is required by licensing since I am a licensed home provider. I said that she should simply say to the dcm that she understands she's working somewhere else and give her a new card to fill out. I would not be upset that she didn't tell me she was fired or even ask her why she wasn't working at the old business.
I'm not disagreeing with you either. You're compassion is great!
Dcm never had to say she was fired, don't think anybody really cares about that aspect, she still should've given her new contact info. Now Melilley is confronted with having to get it in another way. This is what one can be upset about.
Emergency contact numbers is self explanatory, it's not about dcm's job title, position, etc.
lovemykidstoo 08:09 AM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
I'm not disagreeing with you either. You're compassion is great!
Dcm never had to say she was fired, don't think anybody really cares about that aspect, she still should've given her new contact info. Now Melilley is confronted with having to get it in another way. This is what one can be upset about.
Emergency contact numbers is self explanatory, it's not about dcm's job title, position, etc.
No, I know, I just don't see it as a big deal to ask for a new card. Just say that Johnny said you were working at xyz, if you are, then i'll need this card filled out. End of story. It just seems like it's not that big of a deal. Maybe it's the history of previous lieing that is more the issue? I know that if I have previous issues with a parent and then something new pops up it bothers me more sometimes because of previous things that have gone on.
lovemykidstoo 08:10 AM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I agree being fired is humiliating, BUT when your child is in someone elses care full time while you are working they should have that work info. When she got the new job she should have come in and said "I switched schools, here is the info for the school I'm at now". She doesn't have to mention getting fired, that really isn't any of our business - but where we can contact her while watching her child IS our business. And yes, cell phones are great but if a parent doesn't answer their cell you can be darn sure I am going to call their place of business next.

I would just have a new form ready for them at pick up and say "Billy told me you are working at his school now, if that is the case please fill out this new form so I have it for little Joey's file and PLEASE if there are ever any other changes to your contact information please let me know right away".
Yes definately agree. Seems very easy to rectify.
MOM OF 4 08:22 AM 08-22-2014
The mom doesn't have to disclose she was actually let go.

She SHOULD have just been honest and said "Oh, I don't work at xyz, I now work at gwn, here's my info"

Instead, she was outed by the kid. Sad that she couldn't just say she switched jobs.
melilley 10:33 AM 08-22-2014
I agree, it is embarrassing to tell people if you have been fired. That's part of the reason that I feel awkward asking dcm or dcd if dcm switched schools/jobs. This particular dcm has had a couple of jobs in the 1.5 years that dcb has been coming here and has never been embarrassed to let me know.

But dcm has been bringing dcb here all summer saying that she's working 2-3 days, the other she was home. She could have told me that she has a new job so that I could update my child info card. She works or worked in a preschool, so she knows this.

But who knows, maybe she lost her job this week.

My whole point to this post is how I think it's funny that dcb spilled the beans about dcm. We have had posts before about dck's spilling the beans about their family members or funny things that our dcb's have said or done and this was one for me.

And how I feel awkward asking, since she allegedly did get fired and maybe is embarrassed about it. And I am embarrassed to ask anything or tell them that dcb spilled the beans.

That's all.

I will be bashfully asking at p/u today though, I don't like not knowing where the parents can be reached at.

I don't know why things like this are so hard for me to do.
lovemykidstoo 10:41 AM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I agree, it is embarrassing to tell people if you have been fired. That's part of the reason that I feel awkward asking dcm or dcd if dcm switched schools/jobs. This particular dcm has had a couple of jobs in the 1.5 years that dcb has been coming here and has never been embarrassed to let me know.

But dcm has been bringing dcb here all summer saying that she's working 2-3 days, the other she was home. She could have told me that she has a new job so that I could update my child info card. She works or worked in a preschool, so she knows this.

But who knows, maybe she lost her job this week.

My whole point to this post is how I think it's funny that dcb spilled the beans about dcm. We have had posts before about dck's spilling the beans about their family members or funny things that our dcb's have said or done and this was one for me.

And how I feel awkward asking, since she allegedly did get fired and maybe is embarrassed about it. And I am embarrassed to ask anything or tell them that dcb spilled the beans.

That's all.

I will be bashfully asking at p/u today though, I don't like not knowing where the parents can be reached at.

I don't know why things like this are so hard for me to do.
You are so right the way kids spill the beans. It is funny what you hear and I wonder what they say about us at their house!! Definately she should have told you that she switched jobs. parents HAVE to be able to be reached. You're right though, maybe she just did it last week or this week even. Kids can get things messed up sometimes. I hope it goes well with your conversation with her.
melilley 10:47 AM 08-22-2014
You are so right the way kids spill the beans. It is funny what you hear and I wonder what they say about us at their house!! Definately she should have told you that she switched jobs. parents HAVE to be able to be reached. You're right though, maybe she just did it last week or this week even. Kids can get things messed up sometimes. I hope it goes well with your conversation with her.
Thank you!

I think my original post came out wrong, I should have left out the middle paragraph. Sometimes I know what I want to say, but it comes out all wrong or I add to many details..lol
melilley 03:10 PM 08-22-2014
Well turns out mom got transferred, not fired..lol
melilley 03:10 PM 08-22-2014
Well turns out mom got transferred to dcb's school, not fired..lol
daycare 03:19 PM 08-22-2014
Well turns out mom got transferred, not fired..lol
lol.......
lovemykidstoo 07:30 PM 08-22-2014
Thank you!

I think my original post came out wrong, I should have left out the middle paragraph. Sometimes I know what I want to say, but it comes out all wrong or I add to many details..lol
It's all good!! I just read your last post about the mom being transferred. She still should have told you. Glad it all worked out though.
Reply Up