Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do I charge them?
karenb 05:07 AM 09-19-2018
So I have a question. I have a child who is out for the week. She has hand foot mouth disease. She has a Dr. note. Do I still charge them for the week? Do I charge them half? I can’t really loose out on a week of pay from them but I also want to be fair. Looking for suggestions. Thanks!
Cat Herder 05:09 AM 09-19-2018
I'd still charge. Tuition is not based on attendance.
Ac114 05:22 AM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by karenb:
So I have a question. I have a child who is out for the week. She has hand foot mouth disease. She has a Dr. note. Do I still charge them for the week? Do I charge them half? I can’t really loose out on a week of pay from them but I also want to be fair. Looking for suggestions. Thanks!
Charge them or you’ll have parents take advantage of you anyway they can. It’s not my fault your child got sick. I still have bills to pay.
amberrose3dg 05:50 AM 09-19-2018
I have a little girl that will be out a week for surgery. I am still charging. I would but hopefully you have that in your policies.
Indoorvoice 05:51 AM 09-19-2018
I used to not charge for sick days and then found out parents were using sicknesses for an excuse when they could snag free child care from family... Charge!
karenb 05:59 AM 09-19-2018
Thanks everyone. I’ll charge them. What you guys said makes sense. Sometimes I’m to nice. I have to keep reminding myself that this is my business.
Cat Herder 06:32 AM 09-19-2018
I’ll charge them. What you guys said makes sense. Sometimes I’m to nice.
It is not about being nice. We as a field have been shamed for wanting to get paid like every other career. "Women's work", "A mothers job". We have been sold on "daycare is expensive". It isn't the whole story, though. Having children is expensive. We deserve to be paid, too. We already work longer hours for less pay.

Providers can't be dependable if we can't afford the mortgage or to keep the power on. We can't provide healthy meals if we can't afford groceries. And on and on. It takes a set amount each month to be able to provide childcare and support our families, that does not change if one kid is absent.

Any discounts we give clients are resources taken from your own families.

Check out the book: https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-Job-H.../dp/0195111125
Josiegirl 09:16 AM 09-19-2018
What does your handbook of policies say? If parents aren't forewarned they may not be happy. My policies state firmly they're paying for their spot, no matter how many days they use/take off. Way back when, I only charged for their time here and as someone else mentioned, it killed MY income. Plus I never took time off because I couldn't afford it. Talk about a quick journey to burn-out.
amberrose3dg 10:00 AM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
What does your handbook of policies say? If parents aren't forewarned they may not be happy. My policies state firmly they're paying for their spot, no matter how many days they use/take off. Way back when, I only charged for their time here and as someone else mentioned, it killed MY income. Plus I never took time off because I couldn't afford it. Talk about a quick journey to burn-out.

This!
You will deal with families that agree to it one minute and leave the next. You need to do what makes sense for you.
Tags:tuition breakdown
Reply Up