Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Grocery Question?
Unregistered 07:07 AM 04-16-2010
I have a question for those of you who are not on a food program, I just accepted a child who is on Whole Milk. I don't have any other child who drinks this because they are all over the age of 2, so I guess my question is do I have them supply it or do I! I am not stingy and I am fine buying it, but I am unsure how much to buy like 1/2 gal. since I have only 1 child drinking it, or what does everyone else do! Thanks
mac60 09:09 AM 04-16-2010
I would not buy it. I would tell the parents we drink 2%, or whatever you drink, and if that is not ok with you, you will have to supply it each day.
Bet they won't think twice about their child drinking your milk then.
DBug 11:55 AM 04-16-2010
I do the same. I offer 2%, and anything parents want besides that, they have to provide. I've had parents bring their own for a month or two, but when they realize it's a bit of a hassle, they end up going with the 2%.
Daycare Mommy 12:08 PM 04-16-2010
Same as Mac60 and DBug here. We do 2% and if anyone wants or needs anything different for their children they need to bring it. I started out buying different milks, but it got annoying fast. It's hard enough (for me anyway) to stock all of the regular things without adding another kind of milk to keep track of.
MarinaVanessa 12:20 PM 04-16-2010
I am specific as to what I serve and anything else needs to be provided by the parents. The milk will more than likely go bad before it's finished unless you buy the really small containers and then it'smore expensive. I'd have the family provide any special dietary needs.
Unregistered 05:27 AM 04-20-2010
But children should be on Whole Milk from age 1 until about age 2! Does the food program allow you to only serve 2% and not whole milk to this age group?? Wow, I thought this would be a requirement! Hmmmm interesting, I had both my kids on whole milk from age 1 to age 2! Well I guess I will have to figure it out! Thanks for all the replys, it makes sense. We shouldn't have to buy so many different kinds of things, but most pediatricians want children on Whole milk after breast milk or formula, I am just surprised that no one serves this!! Thanks Megan
melissa ann 04:32 PM 04-20-2010
My 3 yr old son didn't like whole milk so he drank what the rest of us in the family drank, which is non-fat. I don't get the whole milk story. I also couldn't imagine how big my son would be if he was on whole milk. He was almost 11 lbs at birth and is still a little chunky. I told the doctor he was on whole milk, though. Because doctors can be a bit weird about it. At age 2, he said he can now drink whatever the rest of us are drinking.
TGT09 04:26 AM 04-21-2010
I completely agree with the Vitamin D milk for 1-2 y.o. This coming from a provider that buys 3 different kinds of milk every week. Organic 2%, Vit. D, and Chocolate Milk (for my hubby) AND I have parents that provide Soy milk so my refridgerator is like a vending machine for milk. :-) lol

To answer the question though, I typically buy a 1/2 gallon of it and it will last almost 2 weeks with only 1 child drinking it. DCG is 15 months and definitely needs that extra fat that comes with Vit. D milk.
mac60 04:31 AM 04-21-2010
Our doctors never told us to give our children whole milk. They always told us to give them what we drink, which is 2%. Children do not need that extra fat, just look at the obesity in children these days.
TGT09 04:33 AM 04-21-2010
My 15 month old is in 9 month clothes. She NEEDS the fat. Her doctor has even put on Pediasure to supplement.
Unregistered 04:54 AM 04-21-2010
Children don't only need the extra fat calories for growth, but also for brain development between the age of 1 to the age of 2 years!
Daycare Mommy 05:00 AM 04-21-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
But children should be on Whole Milk from age 1 until about age 2! Does the food program allow you to only serve 2% and not whole milk to this age group?? Wow, I thought this would be a requirement! Hmmmm interesting, I had both my kids on whole milk from age 1 to age 2! Well I guess I will have to figure it out! Thanks for all the replys, it makes sense. We shouldn't have to buy so many different kinds of things, but most pediatricians want children on Whole milk after breast milk or formula, I am just surprised that no one serves this!! Thanks Megan
I only watch 2-5's and am not on the food program, so that's not something I thought about when responding, but I'd still have them supply it.

My daughter wouldn't drink whole milk either. Our pediatrician said whole was better, but 2% was fine if that's what she would drink more of. She was better off getting cups of 2% vs. tiny sips of whole. In hindsight maybe I should have pushed it just in case she ended up needing it, but I hate milk and she is finicky about most things, so I was just grateful I got her to drink any milk at all. Her growth was fine too. She stayed around the 90th percentile for height and weight on average that year so all turned out well.
Unregistered 06:29 AM 04-21-2010
I also drink and serve 2% and when a dcd brought a gallon of whole for his 1yr old i gave her that but no i would not buy different than what i usually do, tell the parents they have to supply it.
jen 07:18 AM 04-21-2010
Actually, children do need the extra fat in whole milk for brain development.
Unregistered 08:39 AM 04-21-2010
Not all children can drink milk. If there are signs of diarrhea, they may be lactose intolerant.
GretasLittleFriends 09:23 AM 04-21-2010
Every week I buy at least 2 gallons of whole milk and 3 gallons of 1% milk. I LOVE whole milk, but typically drink the 1%.

When both of my children were little the doc did say that the kids need the extra fat for brain development.

I still give my 5 1/2 yr old whole milk the majority of the time. He's a tooth pick, and figure it won't hurt him.

I currently only have one child between ages 1 and 2, but I also have 2 2yr olds that the parents asked if would please keep them on whole. Doesn't matter to me. Of course, milk NEVER goes bad in our house.
MarinaVanessa 09:38 AM 04-21-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Actually according to my child's pediatritian only baby cows should drink cow's milk and etc. You can get all of the nutrients and calcium that you would from milk from other foods and get less fat and they are less filling. Yes it is good for you to a certain extent but after the first cup of milk it's actually less healthy than let's say soy milk or even calcium fortified orange juice. The only really good thing milk has is calcium and vitamin D anyway which you get more of in soy milk and soy has no fat whatsoever. There are plenty of other foods that have them also like fish, other seafoods, orange juice, yogurt, beans, nuts, etc.

I'm a big fan of soy milk and according to the USDA website a child up to age 2 needs 500 mg/day of calcium and 400 IU/day of vitamin D. Milk (no matter what kind) has at most 100 IU of vitamin D per cup and 300 mg of calcium per cup which means 4 cups of whole milk. Milk is high in Saturated Fat, and a large portion of the calories in this food come from sugars. Here is the comparison of whole milk vs soy according to their nutritional labels.

If you were to give a child four cups of milk to satisfy the calcium and vitamin D required you'd also be giving that child:
32g of fat (20g of saturated fat) 92% of an adults daily value
96mg of cholesterol 32% of an adults daily value
392mg of sodium (ok to have 500mg)
53g of carbs
No fiber
52g of sugar
32g of protein
1,104mg of calcium
390IU of Vitamin D

If you were serving four cups of Soy milk you'd be giving the child:
16g of fat (2g of saturated fat) 24% of an adults daily value
no cholesterol
480mg of sodium (ok to have 500mg)
32g of carbs
4g fiber
24g of sugar
28g of protein
1,196mg of calcium
476IU of Vitamin D

Not that I give this much soy milk (I offer my family and my DC kids balanced meals) but if I did it would be healthier to give soy milk instead of cow's milk.
Julieb 10:24 AM 04-21-2010
I have always supplied the whole milk. It really wasn't that big of a deal to buy it and the parents always appreciated it. I think the little things I do like that can go a long way for my business. imho
Daycare Mommy 10:28 AM 04-21-2010
I started reading up on this and remembered part of the reason why we didn't worry about her drinking lower fat milk.
#1 She ate like a horse
#2 I nursed her for 23 months

And apparently the recommendations (at least from the AAP) changed in summer 2008:

Baby Milk Recommendations Changed: 2% Milk OK for Weaned Babies at Risk of Becoming Overweight

AAP Changes Milk Recommendations for Children Under 2

So maybe we didn't stunt our babies brain development after all. Don't ya love how this stuff changes left and right on us. There's no one right way to feed and raise these little guys.. and if they claim to have found it they'll just come out with another study finding that it's not true after all in a few years or so.
Former Teacher 02:12 PM 04-21-2010
If I am not mistaken..TX law states that the milk must be 2%
TGT09 06:09 PM 04-21-2010
Originally Posted by Daycare Mommy:
Don't ya love how this stuff changes left and right on us. There's no one right way to feed and raise these little guys.. and if they claim to have found it they'll just come out with another study finding that it's not true after all in a few years or so.
That's what I was going to say earlier. Everyone has a "my pediatrician said" story. Obviously, all pediatricians don't agree and so therefore their patients all don't agree. :-)
Tags:food program, milk
Reply Up