Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Decline An Interview That You Agreed To
Indoorvoice 02:40 PM 12-27-2017
I have a parent interested in my infant spot in the spring. She is a friend of a current dcp so I agreed to set up an interview over Christmas break. She is a teacher and I've been looking for teachers but she works several districts away and would need hours well outside of what my current families need. She just contacted me about setting up the interview but I'm thinking I shouldn't waste either of our time because I know I give in easily and I really don't want to at this point. Do you have good wording for how I can decline over email when I already kind of agreed to set one up for her? Or would you entertain the interview and then decline?
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 02:55 PM 12-27-2017
I would send her a pre-interview questionnaire and go from there. One question would specifically pertain to hours. "I am open from 7am to 5pm, what hours during this time will you need care?" Maybe her husband is able to pick-up and its a non-issue. Maybe she will realize that won't work and cancel her self.
284878 03:43 PM 12-27-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
I would send her a pre-interview questionnaire and go from there. One question would specifically pertain to hours. "I am open from 7am to 5pm, what hours during this time will you need care?" Maybe her husband is able to pick-up and its a non-issue. Maybe she will realize that won't work and cancel her self.
I agree.
storybookending 04:08 PM 12-27-2017
I like the questionnaire thing. I recently had a phone interview and set up a tour and after thinking about it for a few days I decided that it wasn’t going to be a good fit. I called back and told her the position was filled even though it wasn’t. I am not sure if you are able to do this with them knowing someone already in your care but it worked for me.
Indoorvoice 05:23 PM 12-27-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
We already did a pre interview over email so I know her husband can't help and she can't budge on the hours. I originally agreed to interview because I thought maybe I could suck up the crappy hours and because I felt like maybe I owed it to my current dcp for recommending me, but I have a better client lined up now and I seriously just can't fathom opening a full 2 hours before my regular opening time and staying open a half hour to hour later than I normally close. I feel bad making her think she had an interview lined up and then canceling it, but I know I can't do it. I don't know if it's more unprofessional to cancel or to waste her time with an interview that won't go anywhere.
Mike 05:33 PM 12-27-2017
Definitely more professional to not waste time, hers or yours. When it's a definite no, best thing to do is say so. Unless she's willing to pay extra.
storybookending 06:07 PM 12-27-2017
“Parent, thank you for your interest in my services. After our phone interview I thought long and hard about everything discussed and I have decided that I will not be able to make the hours you require work. It would not be fair to myself, my family or my current dcfs to have me working so much outside of my normal operating hours. In order to not waste anyone’s time I will be cancelling our formal interview on XXX. Thanks, provider”
HappyEverAfter 07:28 PM 12-27-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
“Parent, thank you for your interest in my services. After our phone interview I thought long and hard about everything discussed and I have decided that I will not be able to make the hours you require work. It would not be fair to myself, my family or my current dcfs to have me working so much outside of my normal operating hours. In order to not waste anyone’s time I will be cancelling our formal interview on XXX. Thanks, provider”
I agree with this. Personally I would much rather have the interview cancelled than waste my time or someone else’s time.
Blackcat31 08:03 AM 12-28-2017
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
We already did a pre interview over email so I know her husband can't help and she can't budge on the hours. I originally agreed to interview because I thought maybe I could suck up the crappy hours and because I felt like maybe I owed it to my current dcp for recommending me, but I have a better client lined up now and I seriously just can't fathom opening a full 2 hours before my regular opening time and staying open a half hour to hour later than I normally close. I feel bad making her think she had an interview lined up and then canceling it, but I know I can't do it. I don't know if it's more unprofessional to cancel or to waste her time with an interview that won't go anywhere.
There is your answer then.... just tell her you considered it but after much thought, just can't open that much earlier for one client.

I'd end the e-mail with something positive that leaves the door open...suggest that should she ever have a change in work hours and have such hours that fit into your routine, you would be happy to re-interview and try again.
e.j. 10:13 AM 12-28-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
There is your answer then.... just tell her you considered it but after much thought, just can't open that much earlier for one client.

I'd end the e-mail with something positive that leaves the door open...suggest that should she ever have a change in work hours and have such hours that fit into your routine, you would be happy to re-interview and try again.
This is how I would handle it. If I were her, I'd much rather you cancel the interview and not waste my time if you. I don't think there's anything unprofessional about telling her that you've given thought to her request and find that you can't offer those hours at this time.
Ariana 01:37 PM 12-29-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This is pretty much what I said when I decided not to take an infant full time. I apologized and told her to contact me should anything change.

“Dear DCM,
After much thought (careful consideration is another term you could use) I have decided that I will not be able to offer care for X afterall. I feel that the hours are just too much for me and my family. I apologize for the inconvenience and please let me know if anything changes on your end. All the best in finding care arrangements that meet your needs.
Thanks for your interest,
Indoorvoice”
Tags:interview
Reply Up