Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sending Photos Automated To Parents
Unregistered 11:03 PM 03-15-2018
Hello daycare professionals,
i am a software engineer that wants to help make your life easier.
I would like to hear your opinion on my product idea.
Would a program that sends an automated daily or weekly report of the photo's you make via email to parents be useful for you?

I believe that this would save you time and help to engage parents and build trust.

Please excuse my bad English as I'm not an native speaker (I am from Austia).

I am excited to hear your feedback.

KR, kiga.koala
Michael 12:48 AM 03-16-2018
Welcome to the forum. Can you better explain this?

"Would a program that sends an automated daily or weekly report of the photo's you make via email to parents be useful for you?"
nanglgrl 04:46 PM 03-17-2018
It really depends. Some parents can be sensitive which means I have to go through some photos and crop them/check them before I send them. For instance, I once had a parent get upset because her child wasn’t in any photos. She deducted that I wasn’t letting him play, that he was in time out or that no one wanted to play with him. What really happened was he was constantly moving and always playing in another area and I didn’t make sure he was in photos. In another case a mom became weary beacause she rarely saw her infant in photos. If I take infants I only take one at a time, her child was usually in my lap or arms when I took a photo not sleeping all day or sequestered away from the group like she started thinking. Sometimes I need to crop out a child who appears to have a sad or mad face..usually they don’t and it’s just the timing of the photo. I’ve found if I don’t pay close attention to the photos and whose in them parents form all sorts of ideas and get concerned.
nannyde 05:37 PM 03-17-2018
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
It really depends. Some parents can be sensitive which means I have to go through some photos and crop them/check them before I send them. For instance, I once had a parent get upset because her child wasn’t in any photos. She deducted that I wasn’t letting him play, that he was in time out or that no one wanted to play with him. What really happened was he was constantly moving and always playing in another area and I didn’t make sure he was in photos. In another case a mom became weary beacause she rarely saw her infant in photos. If I take infants I only take one at a time, her child was usually in my lap or arms when I took a photo not sleeping all day or sequestered away from the group like she started thinking. Sometimes I need to crop out a child who appears to have a sad or mad face..usually they don’t and it’s just the timing of the photo. I’ve found if I don’t pay close attention to the photos and whose in them parents form all sorts of ideas and get concerned.
this

I got out of the picture taking service because it caused too much conflict with the parents. Not all but many were unhappy with some aspect of how I was doing it and made assumptions based on the pictures that were so inaccurate and required so much parent conferencing that it just wasn't profitable for the business.

I always had at least one kid who wasn't photogenic and it was incredibly difficult to get a good group pic because the child either looked like a special needs child or had a fake forced unnatural smile. They weren't able to smile normally. Even the parents Facebook pics of their kid looked that.

It became too time consuming and caused so much unhappiness that it wasn't worth it.

It's one of those deals where trying to do something good ended up with unintended consequences that didn't promote a better relationship with the parents and cost me too much time (money). No good deed goes unpunished.
storybookending 08:02 PM 03-18-2018
I would also not really have a need for a service such as this. I will occasionally send pictures but it is no where near on a weekly or even monthly basis. I take photos of the children all the time. I plan to make them memory books as they go off to kindergarten. They get a group picture every December.
Blackcat31 06:06 AM 03-19-2018
Who has that much time to take pictures all day long?

I'm always amazed at what parents think we "should" do compared to what we actually do....

I don't have time to take photos all day, I am busy working!!

I will happily take pictures during special occasions or during activities we don't normally do and post on a private social media page for ALL families to enjoy but I do not have time to keep a photo diary of each child's day.

If parents are truly that interested in what their kids are doing they can take a day off and actually DO something with their child. Take pics and create their own personal memories.

I take pictures for parents with infants the first couple weeks or so but once baby has meshed into our routine, the pics stop.
Cat Herder 07:40 AM 03-19-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Who has that much time to take pictures all day long?

I'm always amazed at what parents think we "should" do compared to what we actually do....

I don't have time to take photos all day, I am busy working!!
And, yet, my QRIS portfolio requires them for "show evidence". They want to see art, centers, activities, etc. to have proof I am actually doing it all. I love being put on the defensive by people I don't work for. Armchair quarterbacking my program through photographic evidence is a great measure of my programs worth to people who are not paying for it. It feels amazing and is a great use of my time.

The "grants" (pre-selected shipments of stuff from their preferred supplier, at a discount to them) do come in handy to stay up to the standards they set for me, though. Catch 22.
daycarediva 09:33 AM 03-20-2018
Good grief, some parents.

LMBO about unphotogenic kids though, I've got a few now.

I like taking pictures and happily do so. Parents don't like it? Get to stepping.

I use social media, brightwheel, so nope op, not interested as it's already pretty covered unless you're offering a MUCH better service (brightwheel is real time, does billing, documentation, attendance, photos/videos, etc)
Tags:photos of our spaces
Reply Up