Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:48 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Tips for Caring for Two 12 Month Olds Alone...

My sister and I do daycare together (for now) and we have five 3-4 year olds and two 12 month olds. One of the older kids is mine and one of the babies is mine. My sister is planning on substitute teaching this school year with the hopes of landing a fulltime teaching job next school year.

Right now we're able to manage all of the kids pretty well between the two of us, however, I'm nervous about being alone on days that she subs. How do you do it as a single provider? Any advice?
Old 09-12-2018, 01:56 PM

Routine, routine, routine.

That IS the key to survival.

I have 12 alone.
All 5 yrs old and under (including 2 under 2 yrs old)

A daily routine is a sanity saver and helps the kids behave better as most kid misbehavior is due to lack of "security" or feelings of uneasiness etc

The more secure and comfortable the kids are with their daily routines, the better they understand and adhere to rules.

I'd develop a daily routine while your sister is there and then just follow it like normal whether she is there or not.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Childcare Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post

I have 12 alone.

A daily routine is a sanity saver and helps the kids behave better as most kid misbehavior is due to lack of "security" or feelings of uneasiness etc

The more secure and comfortable the kids are with their daily routines, the better they understand and adhere to rules.

I'd develop a daily routine while your sister is there and then just follow it like normal whether she is there or not.
This
Old 09-12-2018, 03:33 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post

I have 12 alone.

This is what I do exactly.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

It is really not that hard! They can sit up on their own so when you are doing something with one, the other can entertain themselves. I would organize my space for maximum supervision. I just recently created a kitchen in my downstairs playspace so I can supervise while making dinner. I change everyone on a mat on the floor in the playroom to maximize supervision as well. Toys are accessible and age appropriate and are rotated weekly.

As BC mentioned routine is king!
Old 09-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Daycare.com Member

I had 5 kids under 2 alone. Routine and separate. Make sure they babies have a separate safe area to go in when you need to use the bathroom etc.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:41 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenboo View Post
I had 5 kids under 2 alone. Routine and separate. Make sure they babies have a separate safe area to go in when you need to use the bathroom etc.
Same here. It makes all the difference.

Tags
daily routine, managing children, sanity