Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Difficult Child and Parent
HipUsername 09:46 PM 11-10-2015
Hi I just registered here. I hope this is the right place to post this, sorry if it isn't... I really am desperate to figure out what to do about a child I've been looking after.

I've only been watching kids in my home for a little over 3 months now, but I've watched many children over the years through babysitting, daycare, nannying, nursery teacher, so I've seen my fair share of personalities, and I love kids. I'm watching a 2 year old who is extremely difficult, and after just 3 months I feel burned-out by him and his mother. I've seen a lot of people mentioning they're licensed, I'm not. Honestly I can't afford it, I'm going through a separation and need money so I just put up an ad on craigslist and got responses. I didn't establish contracts, I didn't set boundaries, and I was flexible with hours. I actually don't even know one of the kid's last name! Wow I am pathetic.

I have a 2 1/2 yo daughter and I watch a 4 yo boy along with the 2 1/2 yo boy that I'm having trouble with. Three kids would normally be very easy for me, but the 2 yo requires constant supervision. I don't know if this is necessary or if I'm just venting but this bullet list will paint the image of how insane and miserable this has been and why I'm feeling like ramming my head against a wall. I've dealt with most of these issues with kids, they would have one or a few of these but not all of them. So if anything he's quite unique! So much so that I want to ram my head against a wall. Did I already say that? -hysterical laughter that makes everyone uncomfortable- Anyway, list:

So basically this is the worst experience I have ever had with a kid and family. I'm sure you're reading this and thinking "what is wrong with you why are you still watching this kid?" or maybe "did you really have to type all this out this is way too long," I understand both. My problem is that I'm pretty shy, I'm not good at saying no, I tend to let people walk all over me. So I really have no idea how to tell someone who I've never established boundaries with that I don't want to watch their kid without it being messy.

Yesterday I meant to ask 2 yo's mom again if she could cut his nails, because he scratched my 2 yo across her nose a couple weeks ago and scratched me last week, and bled on something again. She came late and I was filling the tub for my 2 yo because it was almost bedtime, I didn't hear her knock and she didn't call, she was mad and left quickly. I sent a text asking nicely but casually if she could cut his nails, and I got no response. Today he showed up with long nails and his dad dropped him off and picked him up which isn't normal, so I think she's being passive aggressive.

So I can't sleep, I feel sick and anxious at the thought of a confrontation. I'm really scared things are going to get ugly, and I'm afraid I still won't have the courage to stand up for myself. I really need help with this, as much advice as humanly possible with plenty of detail, because I have no idea how to start this kind of conversation much less execute it. Any advice on how to set boundaries and rules would be great too (like how to tell someone to scram after I've watched their kid for 10 hours, but nicely. Or ask for their last name).

PS, I am really sorry this is so long, it's as long as a Dan Brown novel. I just need to make the font bigger and add tons of page breaks and conspiracy theories and you will have read a Dan Brown novel.
Tags:bad fit, difficult child, nannyde, terminating - trial period, violent behaviour
Up