Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Son and His Girlfriend
Thriftylady 08:46 AM 11-22-2014
Are putting my grandson to bed with a cup of milk so he won't cry. They dropped him off last night and told me to give him a cup of milk when he goes to bed. UM NO!!! My son was mad at me lol. Anyway anyone have a good pamphlet I could print?
pandamom 09:05 AM 11-22-2014
You can use me as an example. I really kick myself, my fault.

I allowed one of my sons to have milk in a sippy cup at bedtime until he was 2 years old. His first dentist appointment was a disaster. He definitely had bottle/milk rot.

Thank goodness I have decent dental insurance. He needed a root canal, crown (they did a silver filling crown since it's a baby tooth, 5 fillings. He had to go under general anesthesia because all they had to do.

My out of pocket was $700. Insurance paid close to $2,000
Lorna 09:35 AM 11-22-2014
My daughter went to bed with a bottle then a sippy cup. Til she was 2. She is now 13 and not a cavity.

I would be careful. Its his child and if you don't do it the way they want they might not leave him with you at night and nighttime. I have parents in my daycare request a bottle laying down I wouldn't say a word. Its not my child.
Wednesday! 10:02 AM 11-22-2014
I know grandmas can get a bad rep sometimes for being intrusive, but you're right about this. Lorna, It's truly amazing that your child didn't have any dental problems! But most kids who go to bed with milk for long periods of time will have serious dental issues.
Op, I agree that you should tread lightly. You don't want to alienate your son. You are right about this, but I know it can be a very touchy situation when there's a disagreement. I think some sort of pamphlet is the right way to go or maybe email them a few links To articles on the affects of nighttime milk drinking.
Thriftylady 10:27 AM 11-22-2014
Originally Posted by pandamom:
You can use me as an example. I really kick myself, my fault.

I allowed one of my sons to have milk in a sippy cup at bedtime until he was 2 years old. His first dentist appointment was a disaster. He definitely had bottle/milk rot.

Thank goodness I have decent dental insurance. He needed a root canal, crown (they did a silver filling crown since it's a baby tooth, 5 fillings. He had to go under general anesthesia because all they had to do.

My out of pocket was $700. Insurance paid close to $2,000
I told my DS that because it happened to him. I asked him if he remembered never getting to have gum or caramel or anything gooey and sticky when he was little and he said yes. I asked him if he wanted his son to go through that with a mouth full of caps and crowns. Only my son had to be hospitalized to do his work, because he wouldn't let the dentist touch him. He was two or three at the time. Looks like yours had to be done at the hospital also? Then we had to take DS back to the hospital and he was nearly admitted because he was so sick from the anesthesia he couldn't stop throwing up and was severely dehydrated. He went through so much because of ME letting him have a bottle to bed.

I know they will make mistakes as parents, we all do. I would just like them not to make the same ones I have.
Silly Songs 11:11 AM 11-22-2014
Can you just suggest he or his wife discuss it with their pediatrician ? Usually hearing it from someone other than mom helps .
Unregistered 11:21 AM 11-22-2014
If he asks why tell him to do a google image search on bottle rot. That might change his way of thinking.
Wednesday! 02:58 AM 11-23-2014
Wow. I googled it and another search suggestion that popped up was meth mouth. So Google equates the affects of bottle rot with the effects of meth on the user's teeth. How disgusting.
Unregistered 07:31 AM 11-23-2014
I don't think having your son research this is going to be productive. Most parents DO know the bad effects of certain behaviors and habits but they do it anyways because it's easiest.
Instead, I would maybe try to offer them different ideas/tricks to help their son get to sleep. You said, they said they do it "so he doesn't cry" so try to find other alternatives to help him not cry instead.
Providing a ton of research as to why he shouldn't do certain things will make him (and his wife/girlfriend) feel as though you are trying to upend their authority as parents, make you come across as a know it all (no one likes advice when they didn't ask for it) and more than likely force a wedge between you and them which only results in you not getting to see your grandson as much. I know as a young parent I resented my MIL for putting her nose in places I didn't ask her too and the only thing it made me do was not let my child be around her much.

As a new parent I needed to make my own mistakes and to find things out on my own. If I needed to ask, I appreciated her wisdom and advice but not very much so when I didn't ask.
CraftyMom 06:20 AM 11-24-2014
Originally Posted by Lorna:
My daughter went to bed with a bottle then a sippy cup. Til she was 2. She is now 13 and not a cavity.

I would be careful. Its his child and if you don't do it the way they want they might not leave him with you at night and nighttime. I have parents in my daycare request a bottle laying down I wouldn't say a word. Its not my child.
Laying a child down with a bottle here at naptime is against regs. So regardless of a parent's request I can not and will not do it. What they do at home is their business, but here I have rules to follow.
Thriftylady 07:29 AM 11-26-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Laying a child down with a bottle here at naptime is against regs. So regardless of a parent's request I can not and will not do it. What they do at home is their business, but here I have rules to follow.
That was the rule in Kansas when I was a provider there. Not sure about here in Ohio since I am legally unlicensed, but a rule I will still follow.
craftymissbeth 07:35 AM 11-26-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Yep.. that's a no-go here in Kansas, also. Not to mention the fact that I don't want drinks anywhere near my sleep equipment. Gross.
renodeb 04:14 PM 12-01-2014
I did that with my son but was shown the error of my ways before my daughter was born.
Deb
AmyKidsCo 12:01 PM 12-02-2014
Can you compromise and give him water instead of milk?
Thriftylady 12:56 PM 12-02-2014
I didn't give him anything, guess what he went to sleep in about five minutes. My son just won't allow him to cry. He is a year old and they are still feeding him just off their plates now, because they don't want him to get messy. My word this kid is going to need mommy and daddy when he goes to college.
Reply Up