Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Secret Santa
CraftyMom 06:24 AM 12-03-2014
I decided this year to do a gift exchange, first time.

Should I do a secret Santa where the kids pick names and buy for a specific child, or have the girls bring a girl gift, boys bring a boy gift?

The kids are all 3 and under and 2 are infants.
NoMoreJuice! 07:30 AM 12-03-2014
I do Secret Santa with my twelve kids and their older siblings. On Monday I sent home a letter explaining how it works, the price limit, and cards for each parent to fill out with or about their own children. On each child's card, it lists their favorite colors, activities, what they're in to, etc. Most have already returned them, and I'm going to switch them up and pass them out on Friday. I have a spreadsheet of which children are matched up, in case they lose the card or forget.

It's fun, and the older siblings love getting involved. The kids really enjoy picking out and giving a gift to their friend, and then the bonus is that they receive a gift!
Shell 07:56 AM 12-03-2014
Pp is definitely doing a better job than I did I had kids pick names out of a hat, and on the paper it says the child's name, age, price range of $10, and the date to have the gifts in by. So far, so good!
CraftyMom 08:19 AM 12-03-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
Pp is definitely doing a better job than I did I had kids pick names out of a hat, and on the paper it says the child's name, age, price range of $10, and the date to have the gifts in by. So far, so good!
This is what I was thinking, but $5 limit. I like the idea of writing what the child likes, makes it a bit easier. Especially for parents of kids of the opposite gender, parents of girls might think, what do boys this age like? etc
Unregistered 09:41 AM 12-03-2014
I would just have each child bring one wrapped gift that could be for either a boy or girl.
It's the easiest way to manage. Especially if one child forgets the gift he bought but still expects to get one from another child.
It also makes it easier for the parents too.
mskaykay 10:27 AM 12-03-2014
The last few years I have asked each parent to bring a wrapped book (no more that $5) in a brown paper bags so their child doesn't see. At our Christmas party we have a Santa come and hands the book to each child. The parents love it and every child goes home with a new book.
CraftyMom 11:04 AM 12-03-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I would just have each child bring one wrapped gift that could be for either a boy or girl.
It's the easiest way to manage. Especially if one child forgets the gift he bought but still expects to get one from another child.
It also makes it easier for the parents too.
I considered this idea, but I have 2 infants, so they might end up with a gift that isn't age appropriate. Unless I bought the baby gifts, but it kind of defeats the point
CraftyMom 11:09 AM 12-03-2014
Originally Posted by mskaykay:
The last few years I have asked each parent to bring a wrapped book (no more that $5) in a brown paper bags so their child doesn't see. At our Christmas party we have a Santa come and hands the book to each child. The parents love it and every child goes home with a new book.
Nice idea!
AmyKidsCo 11:23 AM 12-03-2014
I have a sign up for the families who want to participate. Parents jot down a couple likes/dislikes, then I draw names. I think it means more to the children to pick out gifts for a specific friend - especially since my children's ages range from 18 mos to 5 years.
spud912 01:57 PM 12-03-2014
Just be prepared if someone "forgets" .
CraftyMom 02:17 PM 12-03-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
Just be prepared if someone "forgets" .

I'm asking that they bring them in the day before so I know if I need extras
Reply Up