Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Regression
Onawhim 08:51 AM 12-04-2014
I have a dkg who will be 3 in January. She has been potty training since September and has been doing really good staying dry all day asking to go to the bathroom etc up until 2 weeks ago. Now she has accidents (not full blow soaked but enough to wet her underwear and pants) but she doesn't tell anyone she did it. She gets here about 7:45 I take her to the bathroom at 8:15, 930, 1030, 12, 2:30, 3:30 and if she is still here 4:30. She can't pull down her pants can't pull them up, can't get on the toilet (even though I have a stool) can't wash her hands (again a stool) this same child can't dress herself, starts crying when I ask her to put her hat on. I'm at a loss as what to do with her.
Meyou 08:57 AM 12-04-2014
Put her back in diapers and wait until she is actually ready. Right now, you are trained to get her to the toilet on a schedule and do everything for her.

Ready means asking to go every time she has to go, pulling her own pants up and down, using a potty seat and stool if she needs them and then moving them to wash her hands. She isn't ready at all IMO.

As for dressing herself, I would give her lots and lots of time to practice getting dressed at times when you don't need her ready ASAP. We had zipper practice every morning for a week last winter when some of the kids were having trouble.
craftymissbeth 09:33 AM 12-04-2014
I agree with Meyou.

She's not potty trained at all.
Leigh 09:42 AM 12-04-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Put her back in diapers and wait until she is actually ready. Right now, you are trained to get her to the toilet on a schedule and do everything for her.

Ready means asking to go every time she has to go, pulling her own pants up and down, using a potty seat and stool if she needs them and then moving them to wash her hands. She isn't ready at all IMO.

As for dressing herself, I would give her lots and lots of time to practice getting dressed at times when you don't need her ready ASAP. We had zipper practice every morning for a week last winter when some of the kids were having trouble.

Onawhim 09:44 AM 12-04-2014
How do you approach parents?
craftymissbeth 10:55 AM 12-04-2014
Originally Posted by Onawhim:
How do you approach parents?
First things first, I would let them know that due to her accidents she needs to be in pull ups (or diapers if that's your preference). Let them know that you will always help her at potty time, but it *must* be initiated by the child. This shows that they're aware of their body's signals for when it's time to go potty. I would also ask them to set her up for successes as far as her clothes go... she should be wearing pants that *she* can pull up and down (like sweats, for example).

My dcg2.5 is in the potty training process. She wears a pull up here, but undies at home. She is free to use the restroom any time she wants here, but I don't remind her... I take her only when she tells me it's time (I do randomly ask the room if anyone would like to use the potty, but it's just at random times when I think about it.. except before nap.. everyone is expected to at least try before they lay down). She wears loose pants with an elastic band and she's doing an ok job at getting them on and off (sometimes they go back on backwards, but I don't correct her... I want her to feel accomplished... and she does have trouble if the legs go inside out so I help with that). She has trouble getting on and off the toilet even with the stool, so I started letting her completely remove her pants and pull up so her legs are totally free to climb up. She gets a new pull up from her cubby by herself and puts it and her pants back on by herself. I'm basically just a support person or cheerleader. And a hand-washing reminder
KiddieCahoots 10:56 AM 12-04-2014
Why not tell them what you just told us, that sounds pretty good to me.
Then conclude what your telling them with what Meyou said.....Ready means asking to go every time she has to go, pulling her own pants up and down, using a potty seat and stool if she needs them and then moving them to wash her hands. She isn't ready at all.
Tags:potty training regression, regression
Reply Up