Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Take 3 Yr Old?
Unregistered 03:28 PM 12-04-2014
I had someone come pick up paperwork and bring me the physicals and shot records she shows me on the physical it says has frequent loose watery stools. She knows my policy on diarrhea. Should I take this little girl? She is not potty trained still in diapers. Also they for me not to use wiped on her only a wash cloth which is not happening here. What are your opinions?
JoseyJo 03:39 PM 12-04-2014
Well, if they know that you will send home after 1 (or 2, 3 whatever your policy is) loose stools regardless of the reason, and they understand and agree with you not using washclothes then I don't know why you couldn't enroll.

That being said, it doesn't sound like a good fit.. Personally, if I knew that wipes caused problems for my child, and the daycare only used wipes then I wouldn't enroll in that daycare. Also, if I knew my child was going to get sent home multiple times a week when she wasn't sick I wouldn't enroll. (Not that there is anything wrong with either of those things, but it obviously wouldn't be a good fit). If the parents do enroll I bet they don't last long.
daycare 03:39 PM 12-04-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I had someone come pick up paperwork and bring me the physicals and shot records she shows me on the physical it says has frequent loose watery stools. She knows my policy on diarrhea. Should I take this little girl? She is not potty trained still in diapers. Also they for me not to use wiped on her only a wash cloth which is not happening here. What are your opinions?
If I had to change my program to suit one child/family I would pass.

It sounds like you already know the answer to what you want to do.

Only other option is to implement a 2-week paid trial and see how it goes. If during that time you still think that you cant handle the special request then let them go.

I personally would not accept a child that had to have personal wash cloth wipes, because I don't have a place that I could properly dispose of them nor do I want a bag full of poopie washcloths sitting around my house all day long waiting to go hone with the child.

If the parents were willing to give a diaper genine and provide all the wash cloths, then I might consider it, but I would be asking why this child is having all these watery stools? that just does not sound normal to me at this age....,
momtomany74 03:50 PM 12-04-2014
Nope. Pass
Thriftylady 05:33 PM 12-04-2014
I would do a trial period and may do the wash cloths IF they provide the washcloths and bags to put the soiled ones in. I wouldn't do any extra work, I would use their washcloths, put in bags (they provide the bags) for them to take home and wash. May find that they give that up quickly enough.
CraftyMom 06:17 PM 12-04-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I would do a trial period and may do the wash cloths IF they provide the washcloths and bags to put the soiled ones in. I wouldn't do any extra work, I would use their washcloths, put in bags (they provide the bags) for them to take home and wash. May find that they give that up quickly enough.

I second this. I would do the trial and see, but I would also ask more questions. Do certain foods trigger it? Is there a diagnosed allergy? Have they considered dairy intolerance? Etc

They would need to supply all washcloths, probably 10 per day I'm guessing. I would not wash or rinse them at all in my sink, eww. They would be bagged and waiting outside for the parents. I also do not want a bag of poopy washcloths sitting around all day.
daycarediva 09:36 AM 12-05-2014
Instead of washcloths- can they use paper towels? my ds has very sensitive skin, and we used just damp paper towels (viva worked best for us, soft/strong and stay put together when wet). For daycare, I brought in a roll of paper towels a week instead of wipes.

I would be strict on my send home policy- I send home for diarrhea the first time. I have a guy in care who started with the same issues. Within his two week trial I saw a pattern to the poos. After I spoke to Mom we did a food log/diaper log and narrowed it down to oranges and strawberries. Never a loose stool again.
rosieteddy 10:42 AM 12-05-2014
I had a child who needed no wipes.I took a empty wipe box ,roll of bounty and had them folded to fit.I added plain water and used just like wipes.I would have the parent bring this ready for care.I also think the food log would be helpful.She may train quickly and then you would have a 3 yr old.
Tags:diarrhea policy
Reply Up