Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pacifier Use
Missjaime 01:00 PM 06-09-2016
Hi everyone! I have a dcg who is about to turn 5 and still uses her pacifier at nap time. I have been encouraging her parents for 2 years now to get rid of it, but have been lenient because she has had sleep issues in the past and it used to actually help her sleep. At this point, I think dcg just likes it and the parents aren't willing to push the issue. For a while I didn't really mind (my own kids didn't give them up till almost 3, Im ok with that), but now this kid is going to be 5 and heading to kindergarten! Should I make her give it up, at least here, so she gets used to not having it during the day or just leave it up to the parents? I know, its not really my problem as she will only be with me a few more weeks, but I kinda want to help these parents out!
mommyneedsadayoff 01:03 PM 06-09-2016
I would think that is a major choking hazard and just not let her have it. (Judging here...5?!? )
AmyKidsCo 01:05 PM 06-09-2016
I have a serious problem at my house - pacifiers suddenly disappear and can't be found. Replacements too. It's the weirdest thing - one day they're where they belong, the next they're just gone...
Missjaime 01:06 PM 06-09-2016
Lol - I feel pretty judge-y about it myself! When she goes and gets it out of her cubby I just cringe inside. Im surprised the other kids haven't made fun of her. We made a huge deal about one other kid giving theirs up, I thought this kiddo would get the hint. But, nope.
finsup 01:45 PM 06-09-2016
Pacifiers are gone here by 1 regardless of if they are at home or not lol. Trust me I learned my lesson with my own son and letting him have it waaaay too long. I'd just make it disappear
Ariana 02:33 PM 06-09-2016
My first child had hers until she was 4. Her dentist was fine with it as it didn't affect her teeth and it helped her sleep. I originally wanted it gone by 3 but we had a newborn at home and it was just easier. At 4 we decided to just pull the plug. We had a couple of nights of waking but she eventually stopped waking up. We are going to do the same with my youngest as well. I would say that 5 and about to start school is enough of a reason to get rid of it. Now or never!
BabyMonkeys 04:40 PM 06-09-2016
I wouldn't worry about it if her parents aren't. If she only uses it at nap time and it doesn't cause a problem, why fight it?
Unregistered 04:56 PM 06-09-2016
A family friends daughter still uses her pacifier at night for bed. She is 10. Granted the girl has several issues including social anxiety.
Controlled Chaos 08:29 PM 06-09-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I have a serious problem at my house - pacifiers suddenly disappear and can't be found. Replacements too. It's the weirdest thing - one day they're where they belong, the next they're just gone...
yep I lose them all around 9m. Just something else to keep track of. I tell parents no sleep props after 1yr. No one complains and the kids do great
NightOwl 05:45 AM 06-10-2016
My concern would be the impression given to the school that missjaime let's kids keep pacifiers all the way through their 5th year, kwim? Your local elementary school can really help or hurt your business. I wouldn't want them to think this issue came from you. Word of mouth and what people hear through the grapevine can be very powerful.

I'd start "losing" those pacifiers immediately.
Blackcat31 06:12 AM 06-10-2016
Originally Posted by BabyMonkeys:
I wouldn't worry about it if her parents aren't. If she only uses it at nap time and it doesn't cause a problem, why fight it?
I agree. When she gives it up is up to her parents.

If it's something you (as a provider) can work/deal with, cool...if not then you can try to talk with the parents but this is THEIR choice to allow or not allow......A providers only choice is whether he/she can manage it at daycare.

Originally Posted by NightOwl:
My concern would be the impression given to the school that missjaime let's kids keep pacifiers all the way through their 5th year, kwim? Your local elementary school can really help or hurt your business. I wouldn't want them to think this issue came from you. Word of mouth and what people hear through the grapevine can be very powerful.

I'd start "losing" those pacifiers immediately.
Meh....I highly doubt the pacifier use would reflect badly on the child care If that were the case, I can think of a whole lot of other unwanted or undesirable behaviors we (as providers) should be stressing about.

If the child uses it only for nap time, it would be a non-issue in school.
NightOwl 08:04 AM 06-10-2016
Do you think they'll allow her to have it at school? They won't do that here. They aren't even allowed to bring a security blankie. :/
jenboo 08:22 AM 06-10-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree. When she gives it up is up to her parents.

If it's something you (as a provider) can work/deal with, cool...if not then you can try to talk with the parents but this is THEIR choice to allow or not allow......A providers only choice is whether he/she can manage it at daycare.

Meh....I highly doubt the pacifier use would reflect badly on the child care If that were the case, I can think of a whole lot of other unwanted or undesirable behaviors we (as providers) should be stressing about.

If the child uses it only for nap time, it would be a non-issue in school.
I'm probably one of the weird people where if I was looking at a childcare and saw older kids walking around with pacifiers, i would be turned off and look for care elsewhere.
Granted if it's only used at nap i wouldn't know and for some reason a slightly longer usage at nap doesn't bother me as much. Mostly when they have it in their mouths all day.
I currently have a 15m dcg who will walk around with it all day. It drives me bonkers but I only have her for the summer so I'm not going to take the time to break the habit. I made her take it out yesterday when I was taking pictures for my fb page
Blackcat31 09:17 AM 06-10-2016
Originally Posted by NightOwl:
Do you think they'll allow her to have it at school? They won't do that here. They aren't even allowed to bring a security blankie. :/
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I'm probably one of the weird people where if I was looking at a childcare and saw older kids walking around with pacifiers, i would be turned off and look for care elsewhere.
Granted if it's only used at nap i wouldn't know and for some reason a slightly longer usage at nap doesn't bother me as much. Mostly when they have it in their mouths all day.
I currently have a 15m dcg who will walk around with it all day. It drives me bonkers but I only have her for the summer so I'm not going to take the time to break the habit. I made her take it out yesterday when I was taking pictures for my fb page
The OP stated the pacify was used during nap time only.

So she wouldn't need to bring it to school nor would she be walking around with it.

I too, see older kids walking around with pacifiers, sippy cups and/or bottles and I've done a few eye rolls but it never occurred to me that it's a reflection on their daycare provider. The parent maybe but I fail to see the connection between that type of thing and the quality of care they receive in child care.
MunchkinWrangler 09:36 AM 06-10-2016
Every child has their "vice" so to speak. I think breaking these habits are the parent's job not the provider's. And nap time only really wouldn't bother me. I think parent's need to stop judging each other. Period. Unless a child is in danger or isn't taken care of well, I feel it's none of my business and vice versa.
Annalee 09:43 AM 06-10-2016
I have had several children who used paci's at home but didn't use them here....sometimes it is just a parent thing. I have kids that get no bottles here but still get them at home....up to school-age and some thereafter....

I don't make it my problem, just run my daycare as I see fit!
jenboo 12:17 PM 06-10-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The OP stated the pacify was used during nap time only.

So she wouldn't need to bring it to school nor would she be walking around with it.

I too, see older kids walking around with pacifiers, sippy cups and/or bottles and I've done a few eye rolls but it never occurred to me that it's a reflection on their daycare provider. The parent maybe but I fail to see the connection between that type of thing and the quality of care they receive in child care.
Idk what it is about it, it's just a weird pet peeve of mine. I don't really know how to explain it. I'm definitely not saying that the provider doesn't provide care if they let an older child run around with a pacifier.
Missjaime 12:23 PM 06-10-2016
As I said in my original post, this is only during nap time and it really doesn't bother anyone but me. I have decided not to worry about it and let her parents deal with it. I have her the rest of the summer, and that's all. Perhaps this post should have just gone on the "vent" post.
jenboo 12:40 PM 06-10-2016
Originally Posted by Missjaime:
As I said in my original post, this is only during nap time and it really doesn't bother anyone but me. I have decided not to worry about it and let her parents deal with it. I have her the rest of the summer, and that's all. Perhaps this post should have just gone on the "vent" post.
That's exactly what I would do.
Like I mentioned above, i have a girl who I would typically get off the pacifier but she is only here for the summer so I'm not going to worry about it.
LysesKids 01:10 PM 06-10-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
Pacifiers are gone here by 1 regardless of if they are at home or not lol. Trust me I learned my lesson with my own son and letting him have it waaaay too long. I'd just make it disappear
I do nothing but babies & I don't allow them from the get go with one or two exceptions in 10 years (Special needs infants)... I was tired of other babies grabbing paci's from younger mouths (many still get a paci at home). The babies have all learned to live without here lol
Tags:5 year old, pacifier, pacifier - wean off
Reply Up