Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Am In Tears! Screaming 1 Year Olds! Advice Please!
cherlea 09:53 AM 06-08-2011
I have been doing daycare for many years. I have 4 grown kids of my own and never had this problem with dcks or my own kids thank god or I would have quit!

The one thing I can not stand is a baby who screams/screeches just for the sake of hearing themselves do it!

I started with an 11 month old baby 9 months ago who is a screamer/screecher for no reason other than just for attention. I thought I was getting him out of it by shhshhiing him with a very stern shhh and a very slight tough to his mouth with one finger.

I recently took on another 11 month old who is also a screamer/screecher 3 months ago so now these 2 are 18 months and 14 months. They scream/screech most of the time they are awake and I can not take it! When one is not screeching the other is and they get each other going.

Like I said I have been doing this for a very long time and it has always been so calm and peaceful here. I have always taken babies at 11 -12 months old only as that is when moms go back to work after maternity leave here. (I am from Ontario Canada) I have never had a screamer ever!

I currently have in my care a 4 year old a 3 year old a 2 year old and these two.

If I can not get them to stop in 2 weeks I am closing! That is how sensitive I am to this. it is the only thing that bothers me! I can change 4 dozen poopy diapers a day clean any mess, do any craft or activity ANYTHING!! Just not the screaming it is high pitched and really hurts/drives me insane!!!

What can I do and how can I tell these two sets of parents? I am sure at home they scream or screech and get exactly what they want or the attention they want. Too bad for these parents though because in two weeks I am done if they do not get out of it.

I love what I do and would like to solve this but it has to get fixed now!

If anyone can give me a solution I would be so greatful.

Thank you.
cheerfuldom 10:10 AM 06-08-2011
Are they crying or just making noise? I wouldn't even discuss it with the parent. There is nothing they can do about it and the only they will do is worry about their child, think you are doing something wrong or pull their child from the daycare. You need to decide what you can and cannot handle. Have you thought about just terming one and seeing if that stops the other from all the noise? Either way, decide what you are willing to do and don't feel bad if things don't work out. If you have been around here a lot at all, you will notice all the threads on how different kids are and how each few years, they seem to be getting worse. I am only 30 and even I notice the difference on how babies and toddlers are. The constant crying and screaming is sadly, very common. It sounds like you have put in a lot of time to try and get over this with these two babies but there is only so much you can do.
CheekyChick 01:33 PM 06-08-2011
I wouldn't shut down, I would explain to their parents that their constant screaming is taking a toll on you and then give them their two week's notice. The next time you enroll a child, give them a two week trial period and if they are screamers let them go as well. Eventually you will find quieter children that you (and your ears) will be happy with.
wdmmom 01:36 PM 06-08-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
I wouldn't shut down, I would explain to their parents that their constant screaming is taking a toll on you and then give them their two week's notice. The next time you enroll a child, give them a two week trial period and if they are screamers let them go as well. Eventually you will find quieter children that you (and your ears) will be happy with.
Yes!!! THIS!!!
momma2girls 02:41 PM 06-08-2011
Do you have a 2 week trial in your contract? It is not fun at all, to have babies like this. I have had many like this over the 9 yrs. of providing care. UGHH!!!!
bice99 02:54 PM 06-08-2011
I now have a one month trial in my contract with 24 hr notice for termination. Little ones can take that long to get used to your routine or for you to discover they aren't a good fit.
Cat Herder 03:08 PM 06-08-2011
Give a two-week notice for the worst one this Friday.

Place an ad. Interview wisely.

Pick your second worst one, place a star on your calendar 14 days from this Friday for him/her. If you still are this stressed term him/her.

Place an ad. Interview wisely.

Rinse / Repeat until you do not hate your job and the children in your care have a calm and fun place to spend their days.

There are several good threads on interviewing wisely and dealing with rage babies that may help you as well but FIRST you have got to stop this pattern. One rager at a time is more than MOST providers can handle.

You are on the fast track to burnout.

You need to take care of you so you can provide the BEST possible care for the children you have. Good luck, hun. You are not alone.
Tags:burnout, rage baby
Reply Up