Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing Early
erinalexmom 09:50 AM 12-15-2011
I am a nurse and I have a nursing job that I do PRN. Well they called today and offered me a regular postion at 430pm on Fridays. I really want to do it! 1) we need the money! 2) my husband is home at that time and I wont need my own sitter. 3) I miss being a nurse! (I kind of have the eventual goal of getting my debt paid off, closing the daycare, and just working part time as a nurse)
I was thinking about it and all my kids are picked up by 3 on Fridays except 2. One is usually picked up by 430 but grandma works from home so she probably could pick him up by 4pm. The other family, the mom works till 5pm but the dad works till 3pm and works 5 blocks away. He just doesnt want to get the kid cause he coaches 4 sports and is "busy" I hate to turn down an opportunity to make the $ in a job I love due to 1 hour time when the parents could pick up but choose not to. What would ya'll do?
mismatchedsocks 09:53 AM 12-15-2011
talk to the parents of the two families that are later. Let them know that you need to leave the house by 4pm on Fridays. Ask them if there was someone who can get the kids early. Would your husband be available to stay and give them away?
MarinaVanessa 10:05 AM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
Would your husband be available to stay and give them away?
I was thinking this very same thing. If your 2 families have an issue with picking up earlier and if DH is already going to be home then could he not just keep the kids until p/u? It might be worth a shot.

I go to school on Thursdays and I need to be out of here no later than 5:30pm. One family can't get here until 5:45pm and she comes here directly after work so he stays with the kids. On other occasions I may have an appointment or meeting and the parents run late and he stays with them until they get picked up.

Of course I talked to the families before this and they were all okay with it. I also made sure that they knew that the kids would more than likely be doing movie time while he was here alone with them. It's only once a week, could that be an option?
erinalexmom 10:28 AM 12-15-2011
Some days yes he could. He just hates kids actually except ours. I know its wierd but that just how he is. I know he would really resent it.
cheerfuldom 11:45 AM 12-15-2011
what if you get everything ready and all he has to do is hand the kid out the door? just do movie time on Friday afternoons?
Solandia 12:04 PM 12-15-2011
Originally Posted by erinalexmom:
Some days yes he could. He just hates kids actually except ours. I know its wierd but that just how he is. I know he would really resent it.
My dh would totally resent doing this on a weekly basis, as well. Even if he had to do nothing, literally, for the daycare kids. He has watched the dckids on occasion for OB appts, and when *I* had to be somewhere & the parent was late picking up the dckid. But to be expected to on a weekly basis...but it is "not his job, didn't sign up for this". When he did sub for me, it was a favor to ME, because he loves me, not to the household or to our future debt payoff.

If I were you, I would just change my hours on Friday on a permanent basis. Just..."I am a closing at 4pm on Fridays, starting on *** date. If this arrangement is unsatisfactory, please remember I require a 2-wk notice. Thanks, your provider."

But if you need the clients, you need them....but if you are like me you forget to ASK for dh's opinion for a course of action (like, hey, which do think is a better idea...closing early on Fridays, possibly losing a couple clients & taking the PRN gig which may or may not progress into something great --or-- just keep the daycare going as usual?) I wouldn't make the PRN job contingent on his doing your daycare gig...it makes a world of difference in dh's perception if I involve him in the initial process (instead of just letting him know what I decided). The outcome is generally the same, regardless...
wdmmom 12:31 PM 12-15-2011
If this is going to be something that you want to do every Friday, I'd provide notice now.

I close at 3pm every Friday. All of my daycare families know this going in. If they come here, they are responsible for making sure their child is picked up.

I would tell your families that you were offered an opportunity that would require you to close at 3pm (or whenever) every Friday. Either they will accommodate your new closing time or they won't.
SimpleMom 12:34 PM 12-15-2011
Oh goodness! I would just close earlier on the days you need to. sounds like it would work just fine Congrats on the job offer!!
daycare 12:37 PM 12-15-2011
I would just tell them that do to recent changes that you will need to change your hours of service from x to 4:00 on Fridays.

I had to do this so that my son could get therapy when he was first born. I didnt tell them why, I just did it and everyone magically could meet the new hours..

Don't stress on it too much. You have to do what is best for you too and just think about the Adult conversation you will get to have....lol
erinalexmom 01:43 PM 12-15-2011
Ok so my stepdaughter who is 17 has offered to do it. This will help her out with some extra $ (ill pay her a little) and I will offer it to the parents. I am going to just give them the choice eigther my stepdaughter does it or they pick up early. I am trying to accomidate the parents but the new job (in the words of The Godfather lol) "made me an offer I couldnt refuse"
erinalexmom 01:46 PM 12-15-2011
Although I would love the 'adult conversation" daycare its a special needs kid who cant speak, so there goes that theory But I love the nursing job! I have been with that company for 2 years and I still love every shift
Reply Up