Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Having A "Chill" Day?
Unregistered 06:32 AM 04-03-2012
Hi!
I care for my own 2 children plus an additional 2 children M/W/Th/F but on Tuesdays, I only have one child (other than my own 2) My DD and DCG are best friends and DD DS and DCG get along and play together amazingly.

Do you ever have a day or days that you just let the kids free play so you can get stuff done around the house or just have some down time?

Sometimes I feel really guilty but other times I feel like it's really good for them to learn how to entertain themselves.

What do you think?
Jenniferdawn 08:08 AM 04-03-2012
Allowing the kids to roam around and play by themselves I think is crucial. It's my job to make sure the children are loved, cared for and are safe, but I don't believe my job is to be playmate. Allowing the kids to come up with their own things to do develops their creativity. Don't feel bad!
bunnyslippers 08:33 AM 04-03-2012
Having one of those days for the past few weeks. They are little, and sometimes need to play by themselves. And sometimes, I need them to play be themselves. Have at it, sista! Enjoy it while you got it!
Soccermom 08:57 AM 04-03-2012
I try not to overentertain the kids. Kids need time to develop their own ideas and games. If they are never left to their own devices they are never given the chance to use their imaginations. I also find the kids play better when I step away and let them be. I plan crafts and activities to do if I see that things are getting a little crazy or if the kids get really bored...however boredom is good sometimes too. It pushes kids to create games and engage others in play.
As long as the kids are being loved and well cared for physically they are fine. Some days it is fun to plan all kinds of cool stuff to do and other days it is fun to do some laundry and listen to the laughter coming from the other room
SimpleMom 09:03 AM 04-03-2012
I agree with the above posts ;0) You aren't neglecting the cute little munchkins. It's good for kids to play with free play at times--more so than not. imho
Reply Up