Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Opening Gifts?
MsLaura529 12:30 PM 12-19-2013
If you get a gift from a parent, do you open it there in front of them? Or wait until they leave?
melilley 12:34 PM 12-19-2013
I open it in front of them. Most of the time the dck is standing there and they are excited for you to open it. I do have to say though that I do feel embarrassed when I open them in front of the parents. I don't know why, but I do.
Brooksie 12:37 PM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I open it in front of them. Most of the time the dck is standing there and they are excited for you to open it. I do have to say though that I do feel embarrassed when I open them in front of the parents. I don't know why, but I do.
Same.
nanglgrl 12:45 PM 12-19-2013
me too.
butterfly 12:48 PM 12-19-2013
Yep, me too.

Sometimes I'll ask the dck if they think I should open it now or wait until Christmas.
thetoddlerwhisper 12:57 PM 12-19-2013
not always in front of the dcp but i always have the child "help" me open it.
littlemissmuffet 01:15 PM 12-19-2013
I never open in front of parents. I generally don't get excited about gifts (from anyone) - I actually prefer not getting gifts because we have enough crap in our home, etc - and I'm not good at pretending... so I'd hate for a parent to expect a better reaction than I'm likely to give.

I guess I'm a bit of a Grinch. Oh well.
spud912 01:16 PM 12-19-2013
I thank them at the time and then open it after the parent leaves. I will send a nice appreciative text. Next time I see them, I give a handwritten thank you card. I don't know.....it's too weird to open it in front of them....BUT I do want them to know it is very appreciated...whatever it may be.
Play Care 01:22 PM 12-19-2013
I never open gifts in front of parents - they typically hand it to me in the morning as they are out the door. I love it because I can open it with the dck and gush over it to them Then I write a thank you note and verbally thank them at pick up. If they handed it to me at a time where I was clearly expected to open it then and there I would do so graciously. Even if I don't like/want/need the gift. At the very least I'm modeling good manners
Maria2013 01:33 PM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
If you get a gift from a parent, do you open it there in front of them? Or wait until they leave?
I open it right way
originalkat 02:39 PM 12-19-2013
I have done it both ways. Usually I open it right then although it is kind of uncomfortable.
SilverSabre25 02:48 PM 12-19-2013
I just got one (and am shocked!!) and when dcm handed it to me she said, "Here's a gift for you, you can look at it later." so I did. As soon as they were out the door, lol. It was really nice too. I want to clone them. They are amazing.
kathiemarie 02:55 PM 12-19-2013
I wait. I put it under my tree and tell them I can't wait until Christmas so I can open it. The kids totally get that you have to wait until Christmas to open your gifts.
nannyde 04:34 PM 12-19-2013
I ask... should I open now or wait till Christmas?
Lucy 07:01 PM 12-19-2013
I do too!! I do everything I can to just put it under the tree and wait. But if they request me to open it right then, I will. I feel under the spotlight and that they are reading my reaction to the gift, so I have to "perform". It makes me nervous, because if I don't like it, or it's just cheap or something I'll never use, I have to pretend like it's the best thing EVER. Makes me uncomfortable.
MsLaura529 07:21 PM 12-19-2013
Interesting reading all the different replies.

I receiced one today at pick-up, dcg is not even a year yet, so it wasn't like I had to make a deal about it for her. And pick-up is a crazy time, so I just said "thank you so much" and put it up on the shelf. I opened it after they left and will give them a thank-you note next time I see them.

Now, I was told by one dcm that her boy specifically picked out my gift and she said she can't wait to see me open it to see my reaction, so that I will be opening in front of them. So I guess it depends on thr timing and child.
misslori50 09:34 AM 12-20-2013
im opening mine at our party
Shell 09:45 AM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I never open in front of parents. I generally don't get excited about gifts (from anyone) - I actually prefer not getting gifts because we have enough crap in our home, etc - and I'm not good at pretending... so I'd hate for a parent to expect a better reaction than I'm likely to give.

I guess I'm a bit of a Grinch. Oh well.
Guess I am a Grinch, too. I always wait until the parent leaves, and open it with the child. I can act the part for the child, because they genuinely enjoy getting a gift for me, and that part is so sweet and innocent. But otherwise, I don't really like getting gifts because I don't know where to put it all either- like the santa mugs and random lotions- I am extremely organized, and this kind of stuff is hard for me to find a place for, and makes me feel guilty if I re-gift it or toss it.
TomCopeland 11:44 AM 12-26-2013
Tax implications of gifts from parents:
If the gift is cash or a gift card, it's taxable income.
If the gift is not cash or cash equivalent, it's not taxable income.

If you spend the cash or gift card on something used in your business, you can deduct it using the normal rules of deductions.

If you use the item given to you in your business, you can deduct it using the normal rules of deductions. If you don't know the price of the item, look it up online or guess the value.

Happy Holidays!
Reply Up