Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Some Opinions on Fevers
CountryRoads 11:38 AM 12-12-2018
I am curious as to what your thoughts are on fevers.

Dcb and dcg (same family) seemed fine this morning at drop off. Around lunch, dcg wouldn't eat and and was fussy. I took her temp and it was 101.8. I figured it would be a good idea to check the sibling as well and it was 100.8.

Dcg went downhill fast after I checked her temp. By the time mom got here, she had droopy eyes, crying, just looked overall miserable. My first thought is that mom dosed and dropped. I should add at this point that this mom has a lying problem (not just about daycare - on everything) and I have a hard time believing what she says. I flat out asked if she gave them medicine this morning and she said no. She then tried to give the teething excuse for dcg.

I ignored it and reminded her that they need to be fever free for 24 hours without medicine before coming back.

Do fevers like that come on suddenly? I can't help but think she knew about the fevers (at least the dcg fever) and gave them medicine before they came. Lunchtime is right around when the medicine would be wearing off.

Everyone is just starting to get over their colds and I can't help but think that dcm brought her knowingly sick kids into our home.

Thoughts?
Blackcat31 11:42 AM 12-12-2018
Adopt the 24/48 hour rule and dope and drops decline immensely 😉

Some kids can get a fever swiftly without warning and others seem to go about it gradually. Everyone is different.

As for teething, I list it as an excludable symptom on my illness policy so I rarely hear that excuse.
CountryRoads 11:50 AM 12-12-2018
I'm going to look stupid here, but that's okay...
what's the 24/48 hour rule?

I actually just updated my illness policy this year to say that any fever 100.0 and over is not allowed no matter the reason.

Last year, (same family) said that dcb 103 fever was teething
Blackcat31 11:57 AM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
I'm going to look stupid here, but that's okay...
what's the 24/48 hour rule?
Parent opts to keep unwell child home on their own and they stay out until 24 hour symptom free

Parent drops off unwell kid at day hoping to “wing it” for the day and you have to send them home they are excluded until symptom free for 48 hrs

Puts the onus back on the parent to do the right thing.

(Thank you Cat Herder )
Other threads about 24/48 rule
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=24%2F48+rule
storybookending 12:17 PM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Parent opts to keep unwell child home on their own and they stay out until 24 hour symptom free

Parent drops off unwell kid at day hoping to “wing it” for the day and you have to send them home they are excluded until symptom free for 48 hrs

Puts the onus back on the parent to do the right thing.

(Thank you Cat Herder )
Other threads about 24/48 rule
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=24%2F48+rule
BC or CH. I have seen you post about this 24/48 hour rule and I am curious as to how it is worded in your handbook. I haven’t had any parents push the limits on sick kids yet but I know it’s common and I’m waiting for it. Sorry if the answer is in one of the threads you linked. It’s time for me to start after nap diapers and I have to get off haha
Cat Herder 12:42 PM 12-12-2018
Direct from my newsletter:

“Exclude until 24 hours after fever subsides. Without fever-reducing medications.”

Clarification: If your child is sent home for fever you will be asked to keep your child home for a minimum of 48 hours. 24 hours symptom-free does not equate to 24 hours after onset of symptoms.

Example: Your child was sent home Monday afternoon with a fever of 102 and lethargy; the soonest your child will be accepted back into care will be Thursday morning so long as they have been symptom-free for 24 hours on Wednesday.

Monday = Thursday
Tuesday = Friday
Wednesday, Thursday or Friday = Monday

I know it can be frustrating keeping home a child who appears well an extra day but that is how we reduce transmission to others and limit the number of times children must be sent home sick overall. Please do not bring sick children to daycare. No child who has been given fever-reducing medications will be accepted into care. Please do not risk the health and safety of other children in care.

Thanks in advance!
Michael 01:25 PM 12-12-2018
More threads on Fever Policy and 24/48 hour rule: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=24%2F48
storybookending 09:06 PM 12-20-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Direct from my newsletter:

“Exclude until 24 hours after fever subsides. Without fever-reducing medications.”

Clarification: If your child is sent home for fever you will be asked to keep your child home for a minimum of 48 hours. 24 hours symptom-free does not equate to 24 hours after onset of symptoms.

Example: Your child was sent home Monday afternoon with a fever of 102 and lethargy; the soonest your child will be accepted back into care will be Thursday morning so long as they have been symptom-free for 24 hours on Wednesday.

Monday = Thursday
Tuesday = Friday
Wednesday, Thursday or Friday = Monday

I know it can be frustrating keeping home a child who appears well an extra day but that is how we reduce transmission to others and limit the number of times children must be sent home sick overall. Please do not bring sick children to daycare. No child who has been given fever-reducing medications will be accepted into care. Please do not risk the health and safety of other children in care.

Thanks in advance!
Awesome thanks for sharing
Tags:24/48, 24/48 rule, fever - policy
Reply Up