Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It's Amazing..
NiNi.R. 05:08 AM 08-30-2011
what a little bit of planning and organizing can do for your mood. I've been caught in a rut all summer. I love my job but I get so sick of it being in my home sometimes. I have about 900 square feet that my family of four has to share with my daycare. I decided to change things up a bit. I ordered a curriculum and redid my entry way.

Originally, I had a big ol' bulletin board next to my front door where I had a calendar posted. I'd also used it to tack up anything the parents needed to take home. More often than not parents wouldn't even pay attention to it. I also had a set of cubbies that my father-in-law made that I never painted. The wood was starting to get gross from the kid's shoes.

So I went to Dollar General to see what ideas I could come up with. I decided to spray paint the cubbies black and then bought some plastic black totes that fit perfectly inside the cubbies. I labeled each one with their name. They are to put their shoes and jacket inside them. I also bought each child a folder, the portfolio kind that you can clip pages into the middle. In the middle of each folder is the calendar for the month. They will also be making an alphabet and numbers book over the course of the year so I will also place those in the middle so the parents can see the progress as they go. The pockets of the folder I will use to send home forms or any of the projects the kids make. I will also paperclip notifications to the pockets. So no more bulletin board! It will be interesting to see if I have to remind parents to check out the folders. I informed them yesterday if the folder is in the cubby that means there is something important inside them that needs to be looked at or taken home.

Next is my daycare room. I'm considering over labor day weekend doing a serious toy elimination. A majority of what's in there doesn't even get played with but still gets drug out all over the place.
godiva83 05:59 AM 08-30-2011
It really does...I find when I plan or organize it gives me much more
Motivation! I really like. The idea of folders, also, I have to do some toy eliminating also...for some reason
The same toys that are not being played with end up decorating my daycare rooms floor
Sugar Magnolia 09:54 AM 08-30-2011
That sounds really nice! I hope you enjoy your "new" environment! Glad to hear the cubbies came out nice
Stacy214 12:57 PM 08-30-2011
I totally agree! Sounds nice!
MarinaVanessa 01:14 PM 08-30-2011
I totally agree with you about redecorating. It totally changes your mood doesn't it? I have a small space to work with to begin with and so I ended up using our outdoor patio space (condo) and have started using it as an extension of our daycare space. I put up a canopy to block the sun (until I can get something more permanent) and moved our dramatic play, train table and art centers out there. I wasn't using it all for DC before and now that I moved it out there It free's up so much space inside and looks more organized. My day just flows better. And I also got a curriculum. I ended up getting Mother Goose Time because another provider I know gets it and we ordered it together. Both are making my life a little easier and saving me a little time.
Crazy8 02:34 PM 08-30-2011
it is amazing, isn't it??? We moved almost 5 years ago and I quickly set up my daycare so kids could come back (took 2 days off for the move) and even though I moved things around as necessary I never really felt like it was complete. FINALLY this summer I painted, rearranged, etc. and it feels soooo much better!!!
Tags:organizing, positive, renovate, uplifting
Reply Up