Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>PT vs FT Notice/Explanation
gracepatiencelove 10:39 AM 03-13-2014
First off - is this fair?
I have a part time infant. 3 days a week. First family so they do not pay if they are not here, not contracted hours so I've NEVER enforced a late payment, late pick up fee. I really, really like the family, adore the baby. But, full time trumps part time. Is that a fair business practice? If I offer FT to PT DCF first?

Secondly. I want to make it clear that someone could come in and take the FT spot if they are not willing to pay for it. How do I send out that sort of notice regarding the spot?

Third... when they ask why, what is a clear, concise answer? I tend to babble. I do like having PT because I get off days with just my kids but I need to work to support us. That's just how it is!

Sorry for all the posts, I am just working on all of my recent interviews and now I'm wondering how to explain this if/when it comes up.
gracepatiencelove 10:48 AM 03-13-2014
Also, does anyone have limits on the hours/days of part time care?
melilley 10:52 AM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by gracepatiencelove:
Also, does anyone have limits on the hours/days of part time care?
I do part time care, but they have to come at least 2 days a week and I charge per day (at a higher rate than if you were to break down the f/t rate per day), no matter if it's for 2 hours or 10. I allow families to come for up to 10 hours a day.

I actually have 2 p/t families that make up for a full time spot, financially I come out $10 a week ahead from the full time rate. I like it because I have two light days!

A lot of providers have it that full time trumps part time and they will offer the p/t families the spot first.
Blackcat31 10:54 AM 03-13-2014
I am in this business to make money. That means always doing what will bring in the most income. That is usually the goal for any business.

Sooo because of that I have always had the rule that full time care gets priority over part time care.

If I had a situation like yours, I would offer the PT family the FT space like this:

"DCP's, I am currently looking to fill a FT space. As a currently enrolled PT family, I would like to offer this space to you and give you first right of refusal.

It is also important that I let you know that should you choose to not accept the FT position, I will continue to advertise and interview to fill that vacancy. Should that happen, I may no longer be able to continue offering care to you on a PT basis.

Please understand that this is in NO way personal and is a business decision that is based on my goal to continue working towards financial stability."

If parents question you about loyalty or being long term clients, I usually answer by sympathizing with them that I DO feel badly but that as a business owner, I cannot allow my personal feelings to dictate my business decisions.

HTH
daycarediva 11:11 AM 03-13-2014
It's in my parent handbook that FT spaces trump PT (even though I charge more per day for PT). I TYPICALLY offer the PT family the space before I fill it with a FT family.

I also have definitions for PT as 1-4 days per week. Ft is 5 days per week.

My days are UP TO 10 hours of care, OT fees apply if I can accommodate more hours than that per day.

If you don't already, get them on a contract, get set hours, set days, agreed upon. I also find it a wonderful idea to charge more/day for PT spaces. My rate schedule is:

5 days=175
4 days=160
3 days=135
2 days=100

drop in is $50, plus they supply diapers and wipes (that I typically supply).

I have a 3 day/week child and a 2 day/week child share a space. I make $235 from that. (as opposed to 175 for a FT client).

I also have a child who attends W-F, but I have a Mon/Tue space open. IF I find an awesome FT client, I would offer my PT family the space, and if they declined, I would have to let them go to enroll a FT client. It IS business.
Tags:full time, part time, terminate, termination due to hours
Reply Up