Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Worst Part??
laundrymom 09:59 AM 02-10-2015
What's the worst thing about our career??

For me? DISHES. I loathe them as much as Glinda and Elphaba loathed each other at the start of Wicked.
Annalee 10:00 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:

For me? DISHES. I loathe them as much as Glinda and Elphaba loathed each other at the start of Wicked.
THIS QUESTION IS EASY!!! QRIS ASSESSMENT!
Rockgirl 10:07 AM 02-10-2015
For me, the tedium. The potty/diaper routine, preparing food, cleaning it up, then do it all over again....and again. If I had someone to do those things for me, oh, the projects we could do! Those routines just eat up so much of my time.
jenboo 10:11 AM 02-10-2015

The long hours.
Currently I'm 7-530
After I move I'm going to attempt 7-4 but not sure I'll find any families
Annalee 10:11 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
For me, the tedium. The potty/diaper routine, preparing food, cleaning it up, then do it all over again....and again. If I had someone to do those things for me, oh, the projects we could do! Those routines just eat up so much of my time.
I cut out morning snack and now do lunch a little earlier which gives a larger amount of time in the morning to allow for activities, free play, etc... I provide breakfast but all children have to be here by 7:30 to eat. All children have to arrive by 8 or be considered absent. Lunch is at 10:15 and nap at 11:30. PM snack is at 2:00. This way I am not cleaning up meals all day long!
laundrymom 10:14 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
THIS QUESTION IS EASY!!! QRIS ASSESSMENT!
Is this a requirement? I've noticed several people mention it and I'm unfamiliar with it.
Josiegirl 10:14 AM 02-10-2015
Wear and tear on my home and not being able to furnish it the way I'd like without thinking about how the kids will use/abuse/or destroy it.
Annalee 10:17 AM 02-10-2015
Is this a requirement? I've noticed several people mention it and I'm unfamiliar with it.
It is in my state and has been annually since 2002. Is is a law for all group/family/center here but I think it may be voluntary elsewhere but it will make it's way around.....just a matter of time. BTW, we were told QRIS would be voluntary in the beginning but BAM it became a law before providers could blink.
daycarediva 10:19 AM 02-10-2015
I love my dishwasher. I run it twice a day. My kids all line up, help/serve themselves, and clear their own dishes (place them on the counter as they are excused from the table 1 at a time). I do a quick rinse and load the dishwasher. I run it after lunch, then before I wake them up I unload it. I also prep as much as possible the night before.

For me..... it's parents who don't put their child first.
laundrymom 10:19 AM 02-10-2015
It is in my state and has been annually since 2002. Is is a law for all group/family/center here but I think it may be voluntary elsewhere but it will make it's way around.....just a matter of time.
Do you know how it's different than accreditation? I'm a NAFCC accredited provider. Level 4 paths to Quality. I've just not done much with naeyc because I'm limited to 10 kids. That's why I went NAFCC.
Annalee 10:27 AM 02-10-2015
Do you know how it's different than accreditation? I'm a NAFCC accredited provider. Level 4 paths to Quality. I've just not done much with naeyc because I'm limited to 10 kids. That's why I went NAFCC.
I was NAFCC Accredited for 6 years and only let mine run out because funding ceased here. I loved it! Accreditation is set up for providers to succeed. The NAFCC observer is a child care provider. FCCERS-R Assessment is set up for providers to fail. The observor is someone with a degree that uses her perception of the FCCERS-R book leading to major inconsistencies and is unrealistic to meet all requirements. Does that make sense? The provider's report card here is based solely on the ASSESSMENT score. Therefore a provider can have an early childhood degree, be Accredited and have a CDA but if they do not score high enough on the assessment their report card receives a big fat 0. Something is wrong with that. I generally score well but it is a game after so many years. I do not believe one assessment day a year should define providers for another year. Give providers credit for the other components on their report card like Family involvement, professional growth, developmental learning, etc. The Assessment holds too much weight.
laundrymom 10:32 AM 02-10-2015
I was NAFCC Accredited for 6 years and only let mine run out because funding ceased here. I loved it! Accreditation is set up for providers to succeed. The NAFCC observer is a child care provider. FCCERS-R Assessment is set up for providers to fail. The observor is someone with a degree that uses her perception of the FCCERS-R book leading to major inconsistencies and is unrealistic to meet all requirements. Does that make sense? The provider's report card here is based solely on the ASSESSMENT score. Therefore a provider can have an early childhood degree, be Accredited and have a CDA but if they do not score high enough on the assessment their report card receives a big fat 0. Something is wrong with that. I generally score well but it is a game after so many years. I do not believe one assessment day a year should define providers for another year. Give providers credit for the other components on their report card like Family involvement, professional growth, developmental learning, etc. The Assessment holds too much weight.
Ahhh I see. In that case I would agree. Indiana hasn't mentioned it yet. We are still trying to get people licensed! Grrrr.
hope 10:39 AM 02-10-2015
Parents....anything to do with the parents.
momofsix 10:49 AM 02-10-2015
Paperwork. For the state, for taxes...
I get more organized every year, but I still don't like it.
finsup 10:56 AM 02-10-2015
Not being able to take part in homeschooling groups during the week or do very much volunteer work
Play Care 10:56 AM 02-10-2015
Paperwork
Wear and tear on my home
Doing something I really don't want to because it gets me clients (be it working longer hours, transprorting to preschool, etc.)
Getting stuck with all the housework, errands, cooking, etc because I'm home
Kabob 10:57 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Wear and tear on my home and not being able to furnish it the way I'd like without thinking about how the kids will use/abuse/or destroy it.
This and always feeling like I don't have privacy in my own home. This would be solved if I had a separate daycare space...in which case I think not having an adult to talk to during work is a bit tough sometimes. I feel like I regress to babytalking if I don't get out of the house or talk to an adult at least once a day...
nanglgrl 11:24 AM 02-10-2015
Paperwork would be my number 1 closely followed by the changes I've seen in parent expectations and the regression of children when it comes to mastering their self-help skills.
Too many parents wanting their young children to know things like A,B,C's and to potty train when they aren't ready and to many children who havent mastered the social/emotional or self help skills that they should have for their age.
LysesKids 11:28 AM 02-10-2015
As AnnaLee said, in our state it is required now... that is unless you stay license exempt like me. Means fewer kids and not as much pay for subsidy, but being I am infant only, even licensed I could only take 4 like I do now. As I get older, I'm sort of grateful I don't chase preschoolers lol
Unregistered 11:30 AM 02-10-2015
It's the same thing day in and day out. BORING!!!
Blackcat31 11:56 AM 02-10-2015
Ahhh I see. In that case I would agree. Indiana hasn't mentioned it yet. We are still trying to get people licensed! Grrrr.
If you are a Level 4 in Paths to Quality you are already participating in your state's QRIS program at it's highest/max level.

http://www.in.gov/fssa/carefinder/2554.htm

QRIS page for your state https://occqrisguide.icfwebservices....nfo&stateID=64
Blackcat31 11:59 AM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Paperwork
Wear and tear on my home
Doing something I really don't want to because it gets me clients (be it working longer hours, transprorting to preschool, etc.)
Getting stuck with all the housework, errands, cooking, etc because I'm home
That (bolded) is my favorite part of this job.

The worst part for me is having to be an observer of the same song and dance some parents need to do everyday with their child at drop off and/or pick up.

It's hard to see the awesome, independent happy little kids I have during the day morph into these strange little creatures that whine and fuss about things they normally manage with ease every other day.
Jack Sprat 11:59 AM 02-10-2015
Paperwork, parents, and setting up for rest time!
laundrymom 12:01 PM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If you are a Level 4 in Paths to Quality you are already participating in your state's QRIS program at it's highest/max level.

http://www.in.gov/fssa/carefinder/2554.htm

QRIS page for your state https://occqrisguide.icfwebservices....nfo&stateID=64

Well cool!! I'm on year 5 of being accredited I think. It wasn't super hard. Mostly making my program and their guidelines mesh.
Shell 12:05 PM 02-10-2015
Diapers are my least favorite part!
Kabob 12:11 PM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That (bolded) is my favorite part of this job.

The worst part for me is having to be an observer of the same song and dance some parents need to do everyday with their child at drop off and/or pick up.

It's hard to see the awesome, independent happy little kids I have during the day morph into these strange little creatures that whine and fuss about things they normally manage with ease every other day.
I hate drop offs and pickups for this reason...so awkward. I had a grandma pickup and have no clue how to get dcb in his jacket once he started crying. I had to step in and dress him which is rare for me to do but it was entirely out of control at that point where the grandma was even saying she didn't know what to do...so awkward.

I liked paperwork until I had all sorts of taxes to remember to pay when I hired help when I was pregnant. Ick...
bananas 03:54 PM 02-10-2015
Dishes
I have no dishwasher!

Turning my entire living space into a daycare.
I live in a one bedroom apartment and the whole thing is a daycare, but my one bedroom….well, that's just daycare storage, a bed to sleep, and some dressers to store our clothes. I have no couch (needed more space for daycare), I eat dinner on a fold-out kids table, and I just want to scream some days. I have a second evening job that I go to and work till midnight (sometimes 2am) and my husband works 12-15 hour days, so we actually spend very little time "living" in our apartment….but still. We're saving for a house so we're making temporary sacrifices I guess.
ColorfulSunburst 06:30 PM 02-10-2015
Dishes - just because I have been hated it whole my life.
Weekly reports - just because English is my second language.
permanentvacation 07:01 PM 02-10-2015
The loneliness for adult companionship.

I could complain for weeks about how horrible it is that parents aren't involved in their children's lives, come to daycare late, pick their kids' noses, etc. But the part of this job that truly damages me is being lonely. I don't have any adults in my life other than my one sister who lives in Florida that I talk to on the phone. My older daughter moved away to college over 3 years ago. My younger daughter (now 17 years old. Her birthday was yesterday) hangs out with me for a short time each day when she gets home from school and when she goes to the kitchen to get something to eat. But she mainly does her own thing. I am with the daycare kids (or one daycare kid) during the day, then by myself practically all night and all weekend. Yeah, the loneliness is the worst part of the job for me.
KiddieCahoots 07:23 PM 02-10-2015
The sometimes inconsistent paycheck with the revolving door of daycare.

Things can change so quickly with daycare, good parents gone bad, illness, family's circumstances have changed, dcp's loss of job.

Makes for an uneasy feeling when you have to rely on your daycare income.
AmyKidsCo 08:19 PM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
This. Especially now that our youngest are 10 & 8, so there's less chance of our own kids destroying something.

Also, constantly having to take non-daycare things that my family left behind out of the daycare space.
LysesKids 03:49 AM 02-11-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
The loneliness for adult companionship.

I could complain for weeks about how horrible it is that parents aren't involved in their children's lives, come to daycare late, pick their kids' noses, etc. But the part of this job that truly damages me is being lonely. I don't have any adults in my life other than my one sister who lives in Florida that I talk to on the phone. My older daughter moved away to college over 3 years ago. My younger daughter (now 17 years old. Her birthday was yesterday) hangs out with me for a short time each day when she gets home from school and when she goes to the kitchen to get something to eat. But she mainly does her own thing. I am with the daycare kids (or one daycare kid) during the day, then by myself practically all night and all weekend. Yeah, the loneliness is the worst part of the job for me.
BINGO... this is me; the loneliness got worse after my youngest went off to college 4 years ago... All my family are still up by you, so it's phone calls only. I have some great friends that I met when I moved here, so it's not crappy everyday, just some days lol. Heck even the guy I have been trying to date has a crap schedule at work at the moment and he's all frustrated that we may not get to see each other for our Valentines date ( He works a contract homeland)
LK5kids 04:37 AM 02-11-2015
Isolation and loneliness!
Play Care 04:43 AM 02-11-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
This. Especially now that our youngest are 10 & 8, so there's less chance of our own kids destroying something.

Also, constantly having to take non-daycare things that my family left behind out of the daycare space.
Same here - I feel as though I spend my days cleaning up after everyone else. Cleaning up the things left by the family so dck's can't get into things, and cleaning up from day care so my family isn't tripping over dc stuff. It's getting exhausting
daycarediva 09:44 AM 02-11-2015
Horrible parents. Maybe I'm jaded the last few weeks. There is very little regard for the child's well being going on with 2 parents, both now gone.

Kids behavior- I have screen addicts and children who just do NOT listen. By Friday, we're good to go and Monday morning brings me back wild crazy children. What do they DO to them over the weekend? (Sugar, no naps, no routine, late nights, processed food, unlimited screens, no outside time...)

It's a growing trend, and I'm over it. I am now specifically asking at interviews if the child has a tablet/ipad, what a day off for their child is like, and then not offering spaces to those families who won't mesh.
laundrymom 10:54 AM 02-11-2015
I'm learning of tons to add to my contract!!

My dishwasher went belly up THREE WEEKS AGO!! And I'm saving for a new one.
Unregistered 10:59 AM 02-11-2015
1. Not feeling like my house is my own.

2. Dishes and constant cleaning (for daycare and my own family)

3. Parents who expect greatness from their child but are not willing to contribute in making that happen.

4. Parents.
Baby Beluga 12:16 PM 02-11-2015
For me, this job causes a huge amount of anxiety.

Anxiety to make sure everything is clean.

Anxiety due to working all day, then cleaning up, then running errands to make sure "xyz" are done, then running home to cook dinner and then rushing through bed and bedtime routine with my DD.

The anxiety of advertising and trying to make sure I am full.

I have just been one big ball of stress and anxiousness lately and that is my least favorite thing.
Luna 06:08 PM 02-11-2015
The hours. 5:50am to 5:00 pm I'm in bed by 8:30, so there isn't much time for "real" life.
kendallina 06:15 PM 02-11-2015
Not having coworkers. I feel like I do a good job as a preschool teacher, but I do a good job because of everything that I learned from former coworkers, so I feel like I'm no longer growing as a professional. Also, sometimes I just need to vent about parents or talk about whether something is a developmental issue or whatever. I miss coworkers so much!

Also, when talking to others I don't feel like they understand what I do. I don't think they understand that I am a business owner and I work hard and am a professional. I take what I do very seriously-I am helping to raise little people to be productive citizens (well, kindergarteners) and I just don't feel like this profession receives the recognition it deserves.

Besides that, I love LOVE love what I do.
blueskiesbutterflies 04:20 AM 02-12-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
Parents....anything to do with the parents.

Janiam 05:42 AM 02-12-2015
Interesting thread. For me at this moment parents are the worst part, but as someone else I may be a little jaded right now with my current situation. Typically I would taxes and parents who think it's ok to give their kids laxatives before sending them to DC
Unregistered 05:54 AM 02-12-2015
Witnessing little people, who still use the bathroom in their pants, being placed in charge of their entire family unit. Then, dealing with those repercussions.
daycare 06:46 AM 02-12-2015
When the kids age out.

I'm already crying thinking about it.
hope 07:39 AM 02-12-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Witnessing little people, who still use the bathroom in their pants, being placed in charge of their entire family unit. Then, dealing with those repercussions.
Hahaha! I know this is serious but I like how you worded it. Really is crazy!
Tags:daycare environment, tired of daycare
Reply Up