Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Head Count?
amberleigh222 05:42 PM 09-21-2017
Do you find yourself constantly doing a head count?
midaycare 05:45 PM 09-21-2017
All the time! And I only have 6!
hwichlaz 06:00 PM 09-21-2017
not in the house, but at the park yes
momofsix 07:02 PM 09-21-2017
All the time. I even did it with my own 6 lol
Baby Beluga 07:43 PM 09-21-2017
Yes, and I only have 4, lol.
e.j. 08:10 PM 09-21-2017
All day long - inside and out. Glad to know I'm not the only one!
Josiegirl 01:33 AM 09-22-2017
Definitely! To the point that the SA dcks were doing it all summer.
284878 03:58 AM 09-22-2017
Yes, when I use to watch my nephew's and niece I would do Marco Polo at the park. If I could not see one of the boys in the fort, I would say hi x and they would respond with a hi. My niece was the youngest and never out of my site.
daycarediva 04:22 AM 09-22-2017
Yes!

At every transition, potty break, during walks, at the playground pretty much constantly- I count up, and then back down.
Blackcat31 06:05 AM 09-22-2017
Oh goodness....I do head counts all the time... including those times in which I am not even at work. Guess some habits are hard to break.
storybookending 06:21 AM 09-22-2017
We got yelled at for calling them "head counts" by our licensor my last year of care at the center with school age kids. Appearently "face counts" are what we are supposed to call them now

Literally looked at me and said "and here where "Billy" is signed in. How do you know that child is "Billy""... oh I don't know maybe because he's in 4th grade and he's been in this after school program since K. "So you looked at him". No lady I didn't look at him at all.. in fact that's just a random child that got into our locked facility by himself and is following our schedule and no one noticed he doesn't belong

That being said my current group in small and my yard is fenced. I don't literally count them in my head just notice if one is missing or maybe that's my subconscious counting.. oh where is "Billy"? Oh he was climbing the ladder when I scanned and I didn't see his little head peak out. There he is.
284878 06:47 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
We got yelled at for calling them "head counts" by our licensor my last year of care at the center with school age kids. Appearently "face counts" are what we are supposed to call them now

Literally looked at me and said "and here where "Billy" is signed in. How do you know that child is "Billy""... oh I don't know maybe because he's in 4th grade and he's been in this after school program since K. "So you looked at him". No lady I didn't look at him at all.. in fact that's just a random child that got into our locked facility by himself and is following our schedule and no one noticed he doesn't belong

That being said my current group in small and my yard is fenced. I don't literally count them in my head just notice if one is missing or maybe that's my subconscious counting.. oh where is "Billy"? Oh he was climbing the ladder when I scanned and I didn't see his little head peak out. There he is.
What if you can't see their face and you can only see the back of their head do you have to count them or worry that you can not find them?
storybookending 06:49 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by 284878:
What if you can't see their face and you can only see the back of their head do you have to count them or pretend that you don't see them?
Idk she was not our regular licensor and full of it. My boss said she was just looking for something to nit pick because she couldn't find anything else wrong.
midaycare 07:07 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Definitely! To the point that the SA dcks were doing it all summer.
Ha! I can beat that, my 2 and 3 year olds do it. How many kids do we have Everyone? Only problem is they don't always count themselves
Snowmom 07:14 AM 09-22-2017
All. Day. Long.
BumbleBee 10:41 AM 09-22-2017
Yup! Only time I don't catch myself doing it is if I only have 1 or 2 kids.

The last time my licensing consultant was here she says "wow, busy day here today! How many do you have today?" (she was nice, not accusing or anything. I had a very busy group and it sounded very busy because it was!)

I completely blanked. We had 11, then one got picked up so that was 10, then 2 got dropped off so we were at 12, then 3 got picked up so I was at 9. All of that happened in the hour before she arrived so my brain was not in tip top shape.

I'm standing there going "um....uh...." and the 4 year old looks up and goes "there's 9 here right now. 2 girls and 7 boys."

Licensor looks at me, I just say "yeah, she's right. 9 kids right now."
hwichlaz 12:53 PM 09-22-2017
Mine are all in a gated room together, lol. I have to open and close the gate for them, so I don't count when we're inside.
flying_babyb 06:40 PM 09-22-2017
11 kids most days. Count them once leaving classroom, call ALL their names (and some respond) then repeat when we get to the hallway before outside, then a headcount on the playground. Each time we have to put a mark next to the child's name. On the playground I count at least 10 times in a hour cause we only have a half fence between the blacktop (2 and 3's playground) and the woodchips (4+ playground) and the grass (1.5 and under). I swear my kids try to sneak over to the big kid side at least once a hour.
daycare 07:27 AM 09-23-2017
My rule is that every time the door opens we do another head count. Also any time we go from inside to outside. I have 12-14 kids
Buttercup 07:28 PM 09-24-2017
Yup, it was my center's policy to do head counts every time we went from one room to another, or inside/outside. We also had to know how exactly how many children were in our room at all times. There's no way I'll be able to break that habit when I start my own daycare
CeriBear 02:18 AM 09-25-2017
All the time!
DaveA 03:24 AM 09-25-2017
Yes- especially when we're outside or on a trip somewhere.
sharlan 04:24 PM 09-25-2017
All. The. Time.

When we go on outings, I count every 15 minutes, every time we get in or out of the car.
Tags:head count
Reply Up