Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Enough Food?
Registered but Anonymous 07:28 AM 11-09-2012
I have a new six year old girl who started last week. Every morning she says she's still hungry after breakfast. She's the only one. Today we had scrambled whole organic large eggs (2 oz. scoop), 1 slice of turkey bacon, half a banana, half a slice of whole wheat toast with pumpkin butter, 6 oz. glass of milk and a 4 oz. glass of orange juice. She ate/drank every bit! It far exceeds CACFP standards and I'm not reimbursed for all of the components but I feed them like I feed my own children. Right after breakfast she said: "Miss? I'm still hungry!" To which I replied: "Well, I think we're going to have another glass of milk and then be done until snack time. That's more than enough for pretty little six year old." Now I feel bad. I would never want a child to go hungry, but I find it so hard to believe that she's truly still hungry. No, she's not overweight and she has no diagnosed medical conditions besides latent asthma. EVERYTHING I've learned about nutrition, child development, and portion control says that she should no longer be hungry after that complete meal. I wouldn't be hungry after that meal! Ideas? Am I wrong, here?
Springdaze 08:14 AM 11-09-2012
my first thought is maybe shes just bored. i eat when im bored and i must be bored alot!
Willow 08:25 AM 11-09-2012
As a child, a very very thin bean pole child, I ate more than my dad did.

My metabolism was sky high, and still is, and it keeps me hungry all the time. There is nothing wrong with me. I canjust pack it in and burn it off very quickly.

My daughter is the same way. She easily eats more than my husband does at times and is by far one of the thinnest kids in her class. We joke at times that she must have a tape worm. She calls it Charlie. When she's "starving" and eats as much as a grown man she shrugs and says there's nothing she can do, Charlie is hungry

I'm sure it doesn't help matters that your food is different than her norm and probably tastes exponentially better.

You don't have to feed her more than you're used to serving but if there's nothing wrong with her I highly doubt it will hurt.
crazydaycarelady 08:32 AM 11-09-2012
Afrter eating that much she should no longer feel actual hunger, she just might be expecting to have a stuffed feeling.
Meyou 08:34 AM 11-09-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
As a child, a very very thin bean pole child, I ate more than my dad did.

My metabolism was sky high, and still is, and it keeps me hungry all the time. There is nothing wrong with me. I canjust pack it in and burn it off very quickly.

My daughter is the same way. She easily eats more than my husband does at times and is by far one of the thinnest kids in her class. We joke at times that she must have a tape worm. She calls it Charlie. When she's "starving" and eats as much as a grown man she shrugs and says there's nothing she can do, Charlie is hungry

I'm sure it doesn't help matters that your food is different than her norm and probably tastes exponentially better.

You don't have to feed her more than you're used to serving but if there's nothing wrong with her I highly doubt it will hurt.
I was like this too and my kids are the same way. If she's active and healthy she may really just be hungry. I try to give my girls alot of protein. They eat tons of eggs and lots of nuts and seeds for snacks.
sharlan 08:40 AM 11-09-2012
My 3, 4, and 5 yo each eat 1 1/2 XL eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, 1 slice of toast, 1/2 banana or apple, and 6 oz of milk for breakfast. All 3 are super slim.

My teeny 13 mo eats the same.
My3cents 09:23 AM 11-09-2012
My two year old's eat more then that.

a whole banana
1-2 eggs
2-3 pieces of bacon
a whole slice of toast
glass of milk
and maybe a handful of cereal
cheese on the eggs

Many kids are morning eaters, the meal they get the most out of. Plus I would offer more if still hungry. My kids all know when they are full, they tell me. They are not over weight either. I have big eaters. I don't deny kids food, if I had a child that had a weight issue, I would talk with parents and come up with a plan. I have also seen kids that have smaller meals (parents were providing them) and were over weight. The whole family was over weight. I think Metabolism has a lot to do with diets in children and family genetics.
itlw8 10:31 AM 11-09-2012
really that was plenty but maybe she just wants seconds. another 1/2 slice of toast would be fine and then water. Does she eat fast?
Heidi 10:38 AM 11-09-2012
If she does eat fast, ask her to slow down a bit so her tummy can give her brain the "full" message.

Otherwise, I'd say "Ok, tell you what. I'd like to wait for 20 minutes, and if you are still feeling hungy, we'll get a nice big glass of milk to hold you over until lunch".

My second son has always had a mole's metabolism. I remember as a kindergartner we learned that when he had a "meltdown" in school, it meant he needed something to eat. Usually a carton of chocolate milk did the trick.

He's 20 now, in the army for almost 3 years. He is 6'2" and weighs maybe 150. Absolutely NO body fat.
countrymom 10:46 AM 11-09-2012
I would give her 2 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon (because you can never have enough ask my kids) and a whole piece of toast. Like my own kids. They eat really good for breakfast and supper and lunch is a hit or miss, but you can only eat so many sandwiches.
Unregistered 12:23 PM 11-09-2012
Thank you for the insights and thoughts! The scoop is supposed to be 2 eggs, but I haven't tested that theory out. I just took my food rep's word for it.

I don't want anyone to think I would ever let a child go hungry. Two hours after breakfast they had carrots and celery with choice of dips (strawberry cream cheese, peanut butter with raisins, or low-fat blue cheese), fruit and jello parfaits with homemade whipped cream (6 oz serving) and purified water with wild berry fruit flavor (pureed frozen mixed berries to a pitcher of Brita). 2 hours after that we had homemade vegetable lasagna, spring mix salad with candied walnuts, dried cranberries and duck confit (my mom made the confit; it's soooooo good!), bubble bread (garlic toast with a bruschetta and mozzarella mix on top), apples slices with sharp cheddar cheese, and grape juice. She ate it all, then came back later after nap and said: "when's snack?" as she watched me take the oatmeal-raisin-flax cookies out of the oven, of which she had 3. I think I'm going to have to let her go because I don't want her to be hungry but I can't afford to feed her until she can't possibly eat any more 4 times a day. Today she's here until 5:30 so I'll feed her an early dinner of pizza on whole wheat bagels, pasta salad, mixed vegetables, strawberry shortcake (only with angel food cake) and Ovaltine milk.

I feel really sad and like a really bad provider today. I have too many clients to increase my food bill too much for one, even as much as I've come to care for her.
kitykids3 12:39 PM 11-09-2012
That is more than I feed my kiddos and if they have exceeded the 'normal' for what they need, then you definitely have not let her go hungry and I would not feel bad about it. Usually takes the brain about 20minutes to tell us we're full. Does she eat really fast? I have one that does and scarfs down a ton of food for a 4 year old, so I have him wait a little before he gets thirds. Usually then he wants to be excused.
If she is a morning eater, then perhaps talk to the parents about giving her a little snack before she comes.
Meyou 12:41 PM 11-09-2012
For my school aged kids....if they are still hungry after meals or snack I let them have apples. If they're hungry they'll have one and if they're just bugging they won't. Maybe you can try that with DCG.

She sounds well fed and like a very good eater.
Unregistered 03:40 PM 11-09-2012
I allot 45 minutes for a meal and she is usually done in about 20ish, but she's in the middle of the group. I have two who are "scarfers", done in 10 minutes or less, and they sit for the entire meal socializing or enjoying another cup of milk/water. I have one who would take the entire 45 minutes but I encourage her to eat and she's getting better and now she takes about 35 minutes.

Anyhow, this may all be moot because I'll probably lose her by the 1st of the year. She was homeschooled up until last week (when she started) and mom's hours changed. Mom was going to work until 1-2 and then homeschooling DCG in the afternoons/evenings. She asked me to keep her late today because she had a meeting after work and comes to find out she now needs to work a full day (until 4:30 every day) in a new division starting in the new year. Apparently, DCD is not happy with the current afternoon/evening homeschool plan, and now DCM fears he's going to make her enroll DCG in public school during the day since DCM will be working so late. I'll know more when they return on Tuesday, but I'm pretty sure DCG will be mainstreamed. I also asked DCM about the portion sizes DCG eats at home, and DCM says they're mostly "grazers", so she'll eat lightly multiple times per night and will occasionally have chicken nuggets/mac and cheese/chili (her favorite foods, I found out!) when she's really hungry. So, maybe DCG is just really digging the hearty meals she eats here. It's just so hard to believe she will eat so lightly at home and so heavily here.
LK5kids 12:22 AM 11-10-2012
Oh my goodness...you have absolutely no reason to feel you are not a great provider. You are offering wonderful meals and snacks.
I don't see how you're obligated to give her any more food. Doesn't she go to school? Don't feel bad at all.
cheerfuldom 03:28 AM 11-10-2012
Do you know the family very well? Are you sure that she is being well taken care of at home?

I say this because as a young child, I would eat like crazy at other peoples houses because there was very little at home. I wasnt necessarily hungry for all the food I was eating elsewhere, but I wasnt used to food being available and didnt have any sense of self control about it. I am not saying that is your responsibility to single handedly address this issue but that there are more reasons besides hunger that a child might be eating and asking for so much food.
countrymom 04:43 AM 11-10-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Do you know the family very well? Are you sure that she is being well taken care of at home?

I say this because as a young child, I would eat like crazy at other peoples houses because there was very little at home. I wasnt necessarily hungry for all the food I was eating elsewhere, but I wasnt used to food being available and didnt have any sense of self control about it. I am not saying that is your responsibility to single handedly address this issue but that there are more reasons besides hunger that a child might be eating and asking for so much food.
I wonder this too because my dd babysits for a well to do family who control food in their house. So when the child comes here,they eats like crazy because they are not use to it. And really most kids burn it off.
dave4him 06:01 AM 11-10-2012
some kids just eat!
Unregistered 11:45 AM 11-10-2012
Originally Posted by Registered but Anonymous:
I have a new six year old girl who started last week. Every morning she says she's still hungry after breakfast. She's the only one. Today we had scrambled whole organic large eggs (2 oz. scoop), 1 slice of turkey bacon, half a banana, half a slice of whole wheat toast with pumpkin butter, 6 oz. glass of milk and a 4 oz. glass of orange juice. She ate/drank every bit! It far exceeds CACFP standards and I'm not reimbursed for all of the components but I feed them like I feed my own children. Right after breakfast she said: "Miss? I'm still hungry!" To which I replied: "Well, I think we're going to have another glass of milk and then be done until snack time. That's more than enough for pretty little six year old." Now I feel bad. I would never want a child to go hungry, but I find it so hard to believe that she's truly still hungry. No, she's not overweight and she has no diagnosed medical conditions besides latent asthma. EVERYTHING I've learned about nutrition, child development, and portion control says that she should no longer be hungry after that complete meal. I wouldn't be hungry after that meal! Ideas? Am I wrong, here?
My slim 5 year old son would eat double that for breakfast. Some kids are just big eaters or go through big eating phases.

I don't want to hurt your feelings about the comment "that's more then enough for pretty little six year old" but saying that really could send an unintended image issue message to the girl. "Pretty" should have nothing to do with her asking for seconds. Just my honest opinion.
littlemissmuffet 12:46 PM 11-10-2012
Sounds like it was plenty, but I would have offered another piece of toast (with PB) and an apple - cheap.
youretooloud 01:08 PM 11-10-2012
I think I would give her a little more than that. It seems like around 4-6 they eat a ton. I'd give her at least a full piece of toast and two strips of bacon.

If you can, cut back on the juice and milk, and give her more food. Although, I know how expensive it can be.
spud912 01:24 PM 11-10-2012
First and foremost, your food sounds great! Can I come over and eat too?!?

Second, I think the primary problem here is that she is used to grazing throughout the day. I've found that when I get a new child who is accustomed to grazing, they tend to act "starving" all day for a few weeks. Eventually, they get into the swing of eating 3 balanced meals and 1-2 snacks and they find they are no longer "hungry" throughout the day.

Lastly, I did want to mention that some children (and adults) have different appetites and metabolisms. As a (skinny) child, I remember frequently eating more than my father, who ate a lot. To this day, I can still pack away a good amount of food and maintain a normal (lower) BMI. In fact, I'm not sure if you're familiar with the restaurant Chipotle but I can easily eat one of their gigantic burritos, plus an appetizer and dessert without even feeling close to "stuffed." It's no surprise that my younger dd inherited the good eating gene also. I still remember her packing away 1-2 whole wheat Belgium waffles (with applesauce topping instead of syrup), 1-2 scrambled eggs with cheese, 1.5 cups of plain Greek yogurt and 1 cup of pureed steamed fresh peaches in one sitting when she was 11 months old . I always joke with everyone that she will eat us out of house and home. During her 1 year birthday party, she ate the equivalent of a 6 inch sub and about 2 cups of fruit in one sitting. As far as her weight? She is below the 5th percentile! Her appetite actually had me questioning the doctor on a couple of occasions, but her blood work indicates she is perfectly normal.

If I were in your shoes (and what I currently do for my big eaters), I would serve a normal amount of food. When she asks for more, give the normal amount that you provide for seconds. When it comes to thirds, I would start divvying out the remainders you know the others won't eat. Once the food is all gone (or you've gone through everything you intend to serve), then cut everyone off like you normally do and tell them they will eat again at the next meal/snack. Don't feel guilty though!
heather 02:08 PM 11-10-2012
If she doesn't have a weight problem, I would let her fill up on all the toast/banana she wanted.
Naturally cooked foods like bacon and eggs have to be divvied out, but you can always throw in another slice of toast in the toaster.
I would also talk to her mom about it and if necessary charge the extra food to her alone. As a mother I would not want my kids to go hungry and I would rather pay an extra 50 cents per meal or whatever it costs you than have my child hungry.
providerandmomof4 02:33 PM 11-10-2012
Okay, I guess that I'm not the norm here. I feel like my portions could easily feed me and therefore little dck couldn't possibly be hungry. Sometimes they eat fast and their stomach hasn't had a chance to register the food. I always tell my dc kids that if they're still hungry they can have an apple/carrot sticks but to wait 5-10 mins and see if they are still hungry. There usually isn't any takers. Oh and I wouldn't feel mean. I've had kids that would eat as long as I put food in front of them and that's not healthy. Sometimes you just have to say, "No...we're finished now, we've had enough."
Nellie 03:46 PM 11-10-2012
Most of the kids at my place are morning eaters. Most of them eat breakfast at home and are ready for a large breakfast at my place and are starving at snack. Right now I have a one year old going through a growth spurth and he easily could eat double that on a normal day and for the last week he is starving from breakfast till lunch. He is eating more than the 4 year olds. One thing I'd take into consideration is that this girl is 6 and not 2 or 3. In the summer when I have a few SA and they eat more than the tots. I'd give her a full slice of toast. It is probable cheaper than a second glass of milk.
daycarediva 09:02 AM 11-11-2012
I would up it to 2 slices of toast and a whole banana, because that is what my 4 1/2 yo ds, 5 yo dcb, 6 yo ds and 8 yo dcg all eat (all of it too) but that would be IT until snack.
SilverSabre25 09:43 AM 11-11-2012
I agree with the others that some kids are just morning eaters, and offering more toast/toast with PB isn't too hard and give some more bulk and more protein.

And also...your menus sound incredible! I'm a bit jealous :P
DaisyMamma 12:06 PM 11-11-2012
Originally Posted by chellenj:
my first thought is maybe shes just bored. i eat when im bored and i must be bored alot!
I have a 4yo that tells me all day long he is hungry. The other kids are way younger then him. On days when there is no school and bigger kids are here then he is occupied and hardly eats anything... I don't want him to be hungry either, but obviously he is just bored.
Unregistered 08:10 AM 11-12-2012
Thank you for the suggestions! I can absolutely give her toast with PB and a whole banana to see if that helps. I don't want to be stingy and I was really searching for a way to encourage healthy eating while also meeting her needs. I love this site!

As for the "pretty" comment, it had nothing to do with her eating/weight/outward appearance. She is a pretty princess, and I call her (and all my little girls) "pretty princess" all the time. I call my little boys "handsome princes" and it has nothing to do with physical attractiveness. It has to do with their personalities/behaviors, and I encourage inner beauty all the time. Many of the children I get have special needs or are foster children. I encourage positivity all the time because many times their home environments were very negative and encouraged poor self-esteem.
Auntie'sHouse 01:22 PM 11-12-2012
Ask her parents what types of food she eats at home. Maybe they are giving her foods that fill you up quicker and less healthier..??
Tags:eats - too much
Reply Up