Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New 10 Month Old In Care- Great Napper To Barely Napping
maelb05 07:34 AM 09-19-2019
I just started a 10 month old and this is her third week. Her first week here was great! Especially her naps. I put her down for both morning and afternoon naps, she would roll to her belly and fall asleep. She took 1- 1 1/2 hour naps each nap.
Her second week, she started crying when I would put her down, but after 15 minutes, would fall asleep.
This week, for morning nap, she "talks", cries and then falls asleep for about an hour. Every afternoon this week though she has refused to go to sleep, so she is awake from 9:30 or 10 until pick up at 4pm.
Before starting care with me, grandma watched her. At the interview, mom and dad talked about her being such an easy baby and a great sleeper (which she was the first week). I have not had a baby in care before that has gone from being a great napper to barely napping. It is usually the reverse situation!
I do realize and have told mom that obviously the atmosphere is quite different here than at home or grandmas, so that could be causing the problem. Mom feels so bad that this is happening because she is still napping fine at home on the weekends.
I would think baby would be more likely not to fall asleep in the morning when the rest of the kids are awake and she can hear them. But instead, she is staying awake when it is completely quiet in the house and it should be easier for her to fall asleep, since that is what she is used to at home.
Other than the environment changing, what else could be causing such a dramatic change in her sleep patterns in a short amount of time?
jenboo 08:55 AM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by maelb05:
I just started a 10 month old and this is her third week. Her first week here was great! Especially her naps. I put her down for both morning and afternoon naps, she would roll to her belly and fall asleep. She took 1- 1 1/2 hour naps each nap.
Her second week, she started crying when I would put her down, but after 15 minutes, would fall asleep.
This week, for morning nap, she "talks", cries and then falls asleep for about an hour. Every afternoon this week though she has refused to go to sleep, so she is awake from 9:30 or 10 until pick up at 4pm.
Before starting care with me, grandma watched her. At the interview, mom and dad talked about her being such an easy baby and a great sleeper (which she was the first week). I have not had a baby in care before that has gone from being a great napper to barely napping. It is usually the reverse situation!
I do realize and have told mom that obviously the atmosphere is quite different here than at home or grandmas, so that could be causing the problem. Mom feels so bad that this is happening because she is still napping fine at home on the weekends.
I would think baby would be more likely not to fall asleep in the morning when the rest of the kids are awake and she can hear them. But instead, she is staying awake when it is completely quiet in the house and it should be easier for her to fall asleep, since that is what she is used to at home.
Other than the environment changing, what else could be causing such a dramatic change in her sleep patterns in a short amount of time?
Are you getting her down about 15 min before she shows tired signs? Is she getting enough wake time? How's her schedule with you compare with hers at home?

I feel like maybe she is overstimulated and not getting down in time.

I have had one baby who did this though. She started at 3 months and was a great napper until about 6ish months where she pretty much stopped napping completely. Never figured out what changed.
Annalee 09:09 AM 09-19-2019
I have dcb11mos. He began here at age 6 months and a sibling of one I have in care already. He weighs 25-30lbs and is a very large child. Anyway, he started not sleeping at normal nap time so I cut out the morning nap and that worked for a while. But two weeks ago, I contacted licensing and asked if I could place him on a cot for nap since he could physically climb out of a pack and play and she agreed this was a good idea for safety purposes. This is our second week and he has slept two hours every day on the cot. Not sure what the deal is, but maybe you could try putting him on a cot if licensing in your state will allow.
Tags:transitioning - babyfood - solids, transitioning - bottle to cup, transitioning - bottle to food
Reply Up