Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to handle dr. appts., etc
cadaycare 03:36 PM 04-24-2009
Hi -
I am starting an in home daycare this summer and I keep thinking of questions. Here's the latest: In the event that I, or my son (14 mo. old) need to go to a doctor appt. like pediatrician, dentist, eye, etc. what is the protocol? These sorts of appointments are not done after 5 pm, or on weekends. I just wanted to know what people do. Thanks.
Unregistered 06:09 AM 04-25-2009
My husband is CPR qualified and is also on the license for our home daycare. He's a full time student and we take on more school-age in the summer, but it's been a life saver to have him on the license to help out. He usually handles appt. for our child, but if I have an appt, I usually schedule it during nap time on a day he doesn't have a class and let parents know I'll be gone for a bit during the day. My parents were also generous enough to go through background checks and physicals incase a real emergency arises.

Some of the strategies I've heard from other providers is to try and schedule appt. on days like Columbus day or other holidays that Doctors offices are open and they can get away with being closed on. Also scheduling appt. for as late in the day as possible and letting parents know they will be closing early that day. Depending on their relationship with the parents, they let them know why.

Life happens and usually appts. can be made far enough in advance that parents can make plans if given proper warning.
Unregistered 07:11 AM 04-25-2009
It depends on if you are licensed or not. If you are licensed, I think there are specific rules about who can fill in for you. I am not licensed, so I'm not sure about the licensing rules. I have my mom fill in for me when I have an appt or the kids do. I also try to schedule the appts as late in the day as possible. That way if my mom can't fill in, I can tell the parents that I am only available until x time. Then it's up to them if they want to send their child/children or find someone else for the day. Lately I've had my husband take sick time from work to take the kids to the doctor because my mom isn't available and if I take off, that's less money that I can make. He gets paid sick time from work, so why not use it?

I did take one day care kid with me to my daughter's 6 month pictures, but that was only because it was normally my day off (which is why I scheduled it), but the mom needed someone to watch her son at the last minute. I told her I had the appt and he could come with or get picked up by x time. She felt fine sending him, and I only did it because I knew he'd behave. It's not something I wanted to do, but I felt bad for them so I did it.
GretasLittleFriends 07:34 AM 04-25-2009
The county I'm in required me to have an emergency backup; someone that could come to the house and watch the children in case of emergency. That person does not have to be licensed, and can only be there x numbers of hours per year.

I wasn't licensed last year, but got married and went on my honeymoon. I had one daycare child I watched during this time. My dad came to stay at my house to take care of my kids while we were gallivanting across the country. The daycare parents were ok with him watching their little guy as long as he didn't mind.

I guess it really depends on your daycare parents.
tymaboy 01:36 PM 04-26-2009
I have parent sign a release & consent form when they start. That way I can take them in the car with me, walks, swimming, pictures etc. I try to schedule apts for as late in day as possible (my families are usualy gone by 4:30pm) or early morning. If the apt is late afternoon I ask parents to be sure to pick children up atleast 1/2hour before apt time, or if the apt is not for my son then he will stay home & watch the children untill they are picked up (this is aftre school, DS is 16) I also make sure to ask parents if it is ok for him to watch them for that short amount of time. If it early morning DH may take DS to his apt or I will take the children with us (if I have enough car seats & space in the car) There have been a few times that I set up more then 1 apt in a day, on these days I take a Vacation day to get everything done.
Reply Up