Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are Your Red Flags During Correspondence & Tours?
trix23 06:19 PM 05-25-2017
What are things that are "red flags" for you?
sahm1225 06:30 PM 05-25-2017
Here's a few- When and how they talk bad about their previous daycare, if they are late for interview and don't apologize, if they try to negotiate things (start time, payment, etc.), and any rude or inappropriate comments
trix23 07:28 PM 05-25-2017
Start time like when their first day is, or like drop-off time?
CityGarden 08:18 PM 05-25-2017
When they send too many emails..... asking questions that are already answered on my website.
When they visit for too long or want multiple visits prior to committing.
When they don't follow direction on the contract
When their forms and not completed and all returned
When the payment amount is incorrect

I am sure I will have more, I just opened. Most of my red flags so far involve them wasting my time by not following directions or reading the info given.
sahm1225 09:05 PM 05-25-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
Start time like when their first day is, or like drop-off time?
Honestly, trying to negotiate things that are not negotiable like when the spot is available or asking me to open earlier or close later for them.
daycarediva 04:24 AM 05-26-2017
Asking questions already answered on my website.
Asking for earlier drop off/later pick up.
Asking for special right off the bat. " I know you don't allow but....."
Badmouthing former/current daycare provider.
Leaving daycare for policy reasons that are the same as mine.

and then there's the whole interaction with the kid while they are here- does the child listen? Do they have the child help clean up? How do they interact with the child?
Jupadia 05:19 AM 05-26-2017
I've only had one big one since starting out. The parent wanted the child to be left out of crafts and activities. Did not want kid to do a lot of stuff cause they were worried something could happen. After explaining the stuff was age and developmently appointe the parent still did not want their kid colouring and stuff so I let them know right there during the interview that they would not be a good fit. (It sucked cause at the time I needed kids but it was for the best. As well the parent wanted to see in depth all areas off the house not just the daycare space.
daycarediva 07:01 AM 05-26-2017
How about the email I just received?

Your website says you accept ages 18 months and up. My 13 month old daughter is very advanced...

and that's when I stopped reading.
Meeko 07:08 AM 05-26-2017
Acting like they are interviewing for me for a job. Bye bye!

Late to the interview. Shows that they have no respect for my time and that will almost always translate into late pick ups etc.

List of demands instead of questions.

Want "special" for their child. Shows they have no idea how GROUP care works. "Special" never fails to escalate once it's been granted.

Talking bad about the previous daycare and wanting to start the very next day. I learned early on that this means "The previous daycare had the audacity to want to be paid. They told us to take hike when we didn't...so here we are at your house"

Parents who let their child run wild during interview, with no respect for other people's belongings. That's an instant no from me. These kind of parents won't give a hoot later if their child misbehaves during the day and will do nothing to help curb the behavior.

Parents who ask me personal questions about my family and that seem uncomfortable that my husband and son are actively involved. Go away!

I sometimes don't even know exactly why I feel uncomfortable with certain families....but I go with my gut.

I tell all interviewed parents that I am meeting with several families and will decide by (date) which child I am going to take. This gives me time to think and makes parents understand that the decision is mine.

They are applying for a place. I am not applying for a job.

It takes the wind out of the sails of the "I'm your boss" type parent. It makes the "my child is jumping on your couch and it's OK" parent suddenly realize that junior might not be welcome. All win/win for me.
daycare 07:18 AM 05-26-2017
I look for a few things.

Anyone who asks for discount....NEXT

Anyone who shows up late for our first meeting...NEXT

Anyone who has snowflake syndrome.....NEXT

Anyone who lets their child destroy my house or lets their kid make any mess but then does not offer to help clean it up.........NEXT

Anyone who says, oh yeah I think I might be able to get here by your closing......NEXT

Anyone who in any way leads me to believe that they want a dump and go program, where I am expected to do all the work.....NEXT

Anyone who has major TMI.... I don't do drama...NEXT

Anyone who says, my child's last school said they were really gifted, but still kicked them out, I don't get it. Meanwhile the child dumped my house upside down.......RUN

Poptart......anyone who says the word poptart.....NEXT NEXT NEXT...

Ok im done...lol
happymom 08:17 AM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:

Poptart......anyone who says the word poptart.....NEXT NEXT NEXT...

finsup 08:20 AM 05-26-2017
I think everyone else has pretty much covered it. I'll add showing up to the interview drunk or stoned, but that's kind of obvious And yeah...it has happened
Baby Beluga 09:00 AM 05-26-2017
Pretty much all of the above

I will say though, I do like when families send loads of questions in emails prior to our interview. I would much rather potentially weed them out during emails vs interviews. One of my best clients sent me an email with a list of questions asking stuff like "Your ad mentions healthy meals, can you please give me an example of the meals served?" She was polite about it and we were able to get all of the nitty gritty out of the way early.

Also, a few things I look for - social media presence and (as already mentioned above) bad mouthing your previous provider. I have not interviewed people before based on their egregious social media posts. Also, if you bad mouth your provider to me I won't enroll you. At all.

Also, if you tell me your child is "sweet, lovable, spirited" or any other adjectives I will proceed with caution. I have never had a successful parent/provider relationship with parents who start off saying "I am looking for care for my son. He is a sweet, lovable, typical 3 year old who loves..."
IME it is code for hiding a behavioral problem.
trix23 10:24 AM 05-26-2017
What does "dump and go" mean?
daycare 10:37 AM 05-26-2017
meaning that they are just going to dump their kid on me and expect for me to do all of the work and not partner with me.

Parents dont care about anything that we are doing, all they seem to care about is what we are not doing or what they are not getting.

they are the first ones to drop off and last ones to pick up, even though they don't need all day care. Then will complain that their child has horrible behavior or will find any little thing to complain about. They expect me to do all of the potty training and so forth.

they also often dump their kids off knowingly sick and then will find any excuse argue with you that they aren't. I could go on...

lol
Mom2Two 01:36 PM 05-26-2017
It means they are treating both you and their child like objects.
Mom2Two 01:40 PM 05-26-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I tell all interviewed parents that I am meeting with several families and will decide by (date) which child I am going to take. This gives me time to think and makes parents understand that the decision is mine.

They are applying for a place. I am not applying for a job.

It takes the wind out of the sails of the "I'm your boss" type parent. It makes the "my child is jumping on your couch and it's OK" parent suddenly realize that junior might not be welcome. All win/win for me.
I might use this one in the future, if only to give some folk a wake-up call. Yes, obnoxious parent with obnoxious child, I really can live without you!
hwichlaz 05:39 PM 05-26-2017
I tend to avoid people who don't at least try to cover up their prison tattoos at a first meeting....
Tags:bad fit, red flag, red flags, the art of the interview, tours, unreasonable parental expectations
Reply Up