Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Building Customer/Parent Loyalty
LeadershipConnection 06:45 PM 05-13-2009
Hi,

What ideas have worked for you when it comes to retaining parents and keeping them happy?

This can be a challenge because you may think a parent is happy and then all of a sudden they leave.

Julie Bartkus
www.MotivateTeachers.com
Unregistered 04:19 AM 05-14-2009
Good question. In my almost 10 years of being a home provider, it hasn't been that much of an issue being able to retain clients. Here is my list of why I think the parents stay:

Dependability
Activities for children
Offering a preschool program at no extra charge
Very rarely closing for a day
Having a handbook and knowing up front what is expected
Having a fenced in yard with appropriate play equipment
Offering good meals
Not making a big deal out of the "little things"
Having workable hours....6:30 to 5:15
Homey environment

When I think back over the years as to why some left.....
1. I had cared for a child for 2 months and their cousin wanted in my daycare 1 to 2 days per week, I didn't have room, so the first child left and shorted me 2 weeks pay.

2. Parent knew when signed on payment was expected whether the child was here or not, vacation, holidays, sick days included. Christmas holiday came and mom didn't want to pay for the 2 paid weeks she got off from the school. She left because of that. I had actually charged her less the Christmas before due to this because she whined about the policy.

3. 1 family left because I called their 5 year out on a lie he went home and told his mom about something another child supposedly did to them. One thing I will not and can not tolerate is a lying child. It only causes trouble.
tymaboy 06:10 AM 05-14-2009
I have never thought about keeping the parents happy. I do my best to care for their child & have the child happy. If the child looks forward to coming to you everyday that should tell the parents you were a good choose for their child. I know parents like when a provider does projects with the children & I try to send out emails 1-2 times a week with pictures of their child. Communication is also a huge part of it.
Reply Up