Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>5 Year Old Being Untruthful - Accidents
registered 12:30 PM 04-14-2011
Ok so I have a 5 year old dck that still has a few accidents a day. Mom and dad send pull ups for nap. I send him into the potty to put his pull up on and just trust that it's being done.

Over the past few weeks he's done things like hide it in the trash, hide it behind the potty, under the stool, etc. I don't realize he didn't have it on until he inevitably wakes up wet.

So I've told mom and I've talked with him a lot and it's still happening.

Recently he's even hid wet underwear under the stool and gone commando so his parents wouldn't know that he had an accident here.

I just don't know what to do and it's still happening after both me talking to him and I'm sure his parents at home.

I had to get the carpet cleaned a few weeks back because it was happening every nap.

I just don't feel like I should have to check a 5 year olds pants ever day to make sure they are putting a pull up on when they just informed that they did.

What would you do in this situation??
cheerfuldom 01:23 PM 04-14-2011
wow! I don't think I could put up with a 5 year old having so many accidents. If the parents are doing everything possible to finish the potty training then perhaps they should get him checked out medically. There are specific reasons that a child is still having accidents at that age. Are you sure the parents aren't just letting him wear pull ups all the time at home and that sort of thing?
daycare 01:43 PM 04-14-2011
oh boy sounds like you got the kid that I just termed...lol

I had the same exact issue. Not only was the kid haivng accidents during nap time, but would also poop pants or pee in pants while outside at play time. I talked to the parents about it on what seemed like a daily basis. They said at first he only happened here, but then I would hear a different story from the grandma or sister who often participated in drop off and pick up.

One day I send out an email that said....All children still in the potty training process must be sent in pull-ups each day until the Provider has stated other wise. All children must go a full two weeks without accidents before they will be removed from pull-ups. I also told them that becusae so many kids were being sent to DC with improper attire that the DC carpets were getting soiled and therefore would need to be cleaned. I closed the DC early the following day so that I could get them professionally cleaned.... I also stated if the parents still continue to send thier child in improper attire that I would bill them for the next carpet cleaning bill...

This child that I had would lie all the time about using the bathroom. I would tell him to go and he would go in the bathroom and fiddle around. Then come out and lie about going.

I told the parents that I felt it was not appropiate for me to be handeling a 5 year old little boy in the bathroom that it was inappropiate intimacy. No one should be touching a child there of that age.

I then asked them to see a doctor about it...maybe there was something wrong....

they ended up blowing up in my face abotu it and said that there was nothing wrong with their child and that the child was just LAZY....lol

they also told me that they pay me to wipe thier child's butt and that's what child care providers do..........uggh after that I said umm NO and bye-bye

So is this only happening during nap?
Unregistered 01:49 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
oh boy sounds like you got the kid that I just termed...lol

I had the same exact issue. Not only was the kid haivng accidents during nap time, but would also poop pants or pee in pants while outside at play time. I talked to the parents about it on what seemed like a daily basis. They said at first he only happened here, but then I would hear a different story from the grandma or sister who often participated in drop off and pick up.

One day I send out an email that said....All children still in the potty training process must be sent in pull-ups each day until the Provider has stated other wise. All children must go a full two weeks without accidents before they will be removed from pull-ups. I also told them that becusae so many kids were being sent to DC with improper attire that the DC carpets were getting soiled and therefore would need to be cleaned. I closed the DC early the following day so that I could get them professionally cleaned.... I also stated if the parents still continue to send thier child in improper attire that I would bill them for the next carpet cleaning bill...

This child that I had would lie all the time about using the bathroom. I would tell him to go and he would go in the bathroom and fiddle around. Then come out and lie about going.

I told the parents that I felt it was not appropiate for me to be handeling a 5 year old little boy in the bathroom that it was inappropiate intimacy. No one should be touching a child there of that age.

I then asked them to see a doctor about it...maybe there was something wrong....

they ended up blowing up in my face abotu it and said that there was nothing wrong with their child and that the child was just LAZY....lol

they also told me that they pay me to wipe thier child's butt and that's what child care providers do..........uggh after that I said umm NO and bye-bye

So is this only happening during nap?
No we're having usually at least 2 times during the day that I'll look and see his pants are wet and have to send him to change. And then there's nap. It's always pee accidents...never #2. Mom and Dad will promise huge prizes if he stays dry and sometimes it works and he'll go a day w/o an accident but that's usually only once a week.
daycare 02:19 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
No we're having usually at least 2 times during the day that I'll look and see his pants are wet and have to send him to change. And then there's nap. It's always pee accidents...never #2. Mom and Dad will promise huge prizes if he stays dry and sometimes it works and he'll go a day w/o an accident but that's usually only once a week.
so does he wear a pull up at all?
AnythingsPossible 02:48 PM 04-14-2011
While you may not want to check on him and make sure it is being done, apparently you are going to have to if you want to fix the situation and don't want to term him. If it were me, I would treat him like any other child who is potty training and be sending him to the bathroom every so often. I would stand outside the bathroom while he is in there, it wouldn't be intrusive and you would know what he is doing in there, if anything. As he leaves the bathroom, a simple check would let you know if he put the pull up on or not.
I just had a 4 year old who I termed because of these types of issues(Plus numerous others!). It just went beyond my comfort zone, but if you are willing to work with him, I would do as stated above and treat him like a toddler that is potty training, because essentially, if he is still having accidents, he isn't potty trained.
daycare 02:54 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
While you may not want to check on him and make sure it is being done, apparently you are going to have to if you want to fix the situation and don't want to term him. If it were me, I would treat him like any other child who is potty training and be sending him to the bathroom every so often. I would stand outside the bathroom while he is in there, it wouldn't be intrusive and you would know what he is doing in there, if anything. As he leaves the bathroom, a simple check would let you know if he put the pull up on or not.
I just had a 4 year old who I termed because of these types of issues(Plus numerous others!). It just went beyond my comfort zone, but if you are willing to work with him, I would do as stated above and treat him like a toddler that is potty training, because essentially, if he is still having accidents, he isn't potty trained.
I agree with this here...

I on the other hand, I did not feel comfortable with changing a pooped or pee diaper/pull-up of a young boy, not baby. I did not want to put my self in a position for someone to say something that could get me into trouble. No person should be touching a child in that area when they are that age. That is unless they have special needs. Then that is understanable....
Tags:5 year old, accidents, untruthful
Reply Up