Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pets?
missjenny 03:41 PM 06-22-2012
Does anyone have pets in their home? How does this affect your daycare?

I have two cats and while I can only assume that the younger one would stay away from any children I'll have in my care I can almost expect the other one to be climbing on any lap that will let him.
Willow 04:30 PM 06-22-2012
I currently have four dogs, a cat, a rabbit (living in an outside hutch off the garage) and a partridge in a pear tree :P

Although all of my animals are phenomenal with children the liability issues are too great for them to have out around my daycare children regularly. My elderly Lab, Pug and Miniature Pinscher are kept in our bedroom during the day. Our young Lab is crated in our mudroom or put outside in the kennel run during business hours depending on weather.

I adore my critters and they are absolutely like little fur children to me. I will not risk a kiddo accidentally sitting on a leg, stepping on a foot, poking an eyeball etc. Even if they did my critters are extremely tolerant, but I'd never expect them to be perfect with their responses 100% of the time, they are just animals after all. If they reacted, or even just accidentally knocked a kiddo over not only could my pets be injured, but would I be liable for any injuries AND one of my critters could end up losing their life in the end by no fault of their own.

They all meet my families when they contract for care with me so parents can see they are all friendly and very well trained, and on the rare occasion I'll let kids pitch them treats and let them love on them but day to day, no way. I'd definitely keep them separated.

I have had families that have never had pets and were terrified of them feel very comfortable with their kids coming here because of my level of cautiousness.

I would personally never contract for care with someone that had their dog or cat out with free run of the daycare space. Although it's a home it's also a business and I would consider it not only dangerous but very unprofessional.
Kiki 06:48 PM 06-22-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
and a partridge in a pear tree :P

I have a dog, and 2 cats. We used to also have turtles and fish, but we recently gave them away to new families.
It's never been an issue for me to get families based on my animals, at least not that I know of. My cats are mostly outdoor cats, and are rarely in the house, when they are they are usually perched up high on top of my cabinets/separation wall between the day care room/kitchen. The kids know that they aren't allowed to run up and grab them, the cats come to them for attention every once in awhile, but not too often.
My dog has free roam, but is put out when we eat/are doing rowdy projects; for the most part all of the kids just ignore her unless they are first getting here in the morning, she'll give them loves and then walk away to be her lazy self again.
originalkat 05:36 AM 06-26-2012
We have 1 miniature schnauzer. He was raised around the daycare since he was a puppy. He comes and goes throughout the home. I gate him during drop offs and pick ups so he doesn't bother parents by trying to be pet. most parents love having their child exposed to a dog. He mostly stays to himself, but ventures in with the kids at times. When I get my new daycare room with separate entrance set up though, I will keep him out of that space.
B Lou 07:16 AM 06-26-2012
As a pet owner I would personally never kennel my animals all day long. That in my opinion is very cruel.

As a FAMILY CHILD CARE provider I feel that my dog is part of my family. I always inform prospective parents of our dog before any interview is scheduled.

I believe that having an animal not only teaches the children how to care for an animal but also the joy that one can bring to their lives.

By the way my dog is about 8 years old and loves all of the children. Allows them to pull her around and dress her up.

I have had parents ask me if we had an animal before they even come for the interview. Most of them are pleased to find out that we do.

I find it very insulting that someone would view having a pet in Family Child Care unprofessional.
Willow 07:36 AM 06-26-2012
Originally Posted by B Lou:
As a pet owner I would personally never kennel my animals all day long. That in my opinion is very cruel.
So every single other person on the planet with a dog and a full time job outside of the home is being "very cruel" to their dog? What do you think they do??

And for the record our outdoor kennel run is larger than the size of our kitchen/living/dining room area. Covered. Shaded. Grassy. With 50 acres and 3 ponds to run on after hours. I'd love for you to tell my dogs they've got it rough in any way shape or form.

By the way my dog is about 8 years old and loves all of the children. Allows them to pull her around and dress her up.
I would never subject any of my dogs to such treatment.

My dogs adore children but I think you're playing with fire there.

They are living breathing animals to be respected, not children's toys.

I have had parents ask me if we had an animal before they even come for the interview. Most of them are pleased to find out that we do.
Every parent I've interviewed has been pleased to find out I have animals also. And further impressed that while some interaction is allowed my priority during my working day is the care of their child and their child's safety. One cannot adequately supervise a dog with a large group of children. With a small group of children it can be a challenge.

This is why so many many children are maimed and even killed by their own family pets annually, even more by dogs who do not reside with them directly.

CDC statistics don't lie.

I find it very insulting that someone would view having a pet in Family Child Care unprofessional.

You are entitled to your opinion. In turn I find it very concerning that someone would fail to see the liability issues with letting a dog be pulled around by children in a daycare setting.
B Lou 08:16 AM 06-26-2012
Excuse me for allowing me to express my opinion. We all have allowed you to express yours.

I use to have a full time job outside of daycare. And my dog was and has never been kenneled. I guess that's the difference in people.

I knew as soon as I disagreed with you that you would come back and tell me how wrong I am. It seems as though every time someone posts you feel obligated to tell them how wrong they are.

Personally I do what works best for me as I'm sure you do what works for you.
Willow 08:17 AM 06-26-2012
Wanted to add, I realize my opinion is not popular in regards to dogs in a home daycare setting, but Tom Copeland posts on this board I believe and is pretty well respected from what I've seen.

Here is his take on it:
www.tomcopelandblog.com/2012/06/the-cost-of-dog-bites.html

I would imagine much of this applies to all injuries sustained by provider owned pets...scratches, bumps, bruises or even broken bones from being knocked down or over, diseases or illness associated with interaction, etc.

I know I don't have tens of thousands of dollars just laying around to pay out over such an incident, and far beyond that I would never risk one of my beloved pets being forced to quarantine or euthanize one of my own through no fault of their own.

No one thinks it can happen to them, until it does. No one thinks their dog could ever be pushed too far, until they are and everyone's lives are changed forever.

I will not subject my family, my pets or the lives of my daycare families to such potential heartache and ruin.
Willow 08:25 AM 06-26-2012
Excuse me for allowing me to express my opinion. We all have allowed you to express yours.
Isn't that what I just said??

I use to have a full time job outside of daycare. And my dog was and has never been kenneled. I guess that's the difference in people.
I'm sorry one of my dogs doesn't prefer being in my bedroom with the others during the day for that long because he's a year old rowdy Labrador and would get bored?

I don't know what else to say to that. The only thing better than being with me in his eyes is being outside. When I cannot attend to him directly that's what he prefers. I don't understand what's so offensive about that?

I knew as soon as I disagreed with you that you would come back and tell me how wrong I am. It seems as though every time someone posts you feel obligated to tell them how wrong they are.
There is no reason for personal attacks.

I answered the question the original poster asked, and you jumped on me implying what I'm doing is not in line with being a "FAMILY CHILD CARE provider". Add to that I was being cruel to my dogs with how I've chosen to manage my pets regardless of the reasoning being it. Of course I'm going to respond to that. Anyone would.
spud912 09:15 AM 06-26-2012
I do not have pets for several reasons:

1) Cost
2) Time investment
3) Cleanliness
4) Liability (especially this reason)

One day, I'm sure we might get a dog, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I am fine without pets, but I think my children would benefit from having a dog.
missjenny 11:44 AM 06-26-2012
I appreciate all the replies. I don't think my cats would need to be separated I would expect after the initial meeting would stay upstairs but I know if I had a dog I would keep him separate. My husband and I agree that when we go to buy our first house it must have a yard large enough that we could fence part if it of for a medium sized dog.
Tags:pets in daycare
Reply Up