Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>About To Lose My Mind!!!
sahm2three 09:04 AM 06-30-2010
Sheesh! Is it Friday yet?!?!?!? It has been yet again, another LONG week! I don't know what has gotten into kids (and some parents!). First, one dc mom has been late every day. She is my first to drop off, so when she is late, it means I could have slept in!!! Then her kids start off fighting the SECOND they walk in the door!!! UGH! The second ones to be dropped off, before 7 AM mind you, RING the door bell!!! Not only do I tell everyone not to ring it, I put it in my handbook AND I have a sign that I hang on the front door saying not to ring the bell but to knock quietly!!!! My kids are still sleeping, but not after the door bell rang. Then I made this super yummy carmel roll thing and the kids picked at it!!! I went to all that trouble and time making them and they totally picked at it. Then the baby didn't sleep but about 15 minutes and is now super fussy. We went outside, but it is so flipping hot that it made the kids even more irritable even though they have plenty of water stuff to do. So they continued to fight. We come in and the rule is everyone takes their wet stuff out to the deck and lays them out to dry. I think 1 out of 10 did it. My son was supposed to clean his room and he brought up "dirty" clothes. What he brought up was the last month's worth of CLEAN clothes I gave him to put away!!!! UGH!!!! And it is only 10!!!! God help me! LOL! Thanks for listening, just needed to get it out!
momma2girls 09:25 AM 06-30-2010
DO you have a monthly newsletter? THis is where I place stuff in there, as reminders- I have a note on mine, not to ring the doorbell as well.
Yes, you do need to put a stop to everything now!!! Be strong!!!! Good luck!!
jenh171 09:28 AM 06-30-2010
sounds like Max and Ruby time to me! lol!
Golden Rule 09:33 AM 06-30-2010
I am so sorry your day is going that way..... Some days just make us question our sanity.

I am having one a bit similar......I have been in this forum a good bit today to keep from running screaming through the streets...

The newborns are eating and resting almost to perfection.....but I have been listening to a 3 year old scream, yell and kick the floor for almost 3.5 hours, now. She is wearing shorts today but feels she should be in a princess dress. She is in the screaming corner, bean bag next to my desk here, and rarely makes it to the "4 hours continuous mark" in my contract, but does this up to 3 days weekly. (She has been here for almost all of her 3 years and started this around December, nobody else here does it, and she also does it at home. They have talked to their ped many times about it.)

If she did not have the sweetest, most promp paying/picking up/responding to phone calls etc. parents on earth.....well, ....lol!!!

We all have those days.... I guess being able to talk to one another is about as good as it gets!!!!! Sending good vibes for a better afternoon!!
jenh171 09:40 AM 06-30-2010
the "screaming corner"...LOL!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 10:24 AM 06-30-2010
It's nice to know we are not alone....I have days so bad I question why I even started this business.

The doorbell: sounds like a time when you want to rip the note off the door and put it right in front of the parents face to read. I get upset when a child comes in the morning and cries loud and wakes my youngest daughter up and my day is shot because she is so cranky from being woke up. Ruins my entire day.

Fighting: I would put the siblings in a time out for their fighting or take away a special privalage.

Vent away!! I don't know what I would do without this board..it's my only place to vent since most other people don't understand what our days can be like.
katie 11:01 AM 06-30-2010
Lololol thanks I needed to know someone else was having my day!
TGT09 03:20 PM 06-30-2010
I'm having an awful week again! Kids are constantly fighting...starting fights, bickering, not doing what their told, not eating, etc, etc etc, ETC! Wednesday is also my LEAST favorite day of the week because I'm open from 7am-10:30pm AND I have too many kids to fit in my car to go anywhere!!

I feel for ya! I hope your day got better!
sahm2three 04:19 PM 06-30-2010
Thanks everyone! It really didn't get better. But, I could look at the clock and counting down the time made it better, lol. It was an early ending day today, thank goodness! Thanks so much for the commiseration! That was all I needed!
professionalmom 05:40 PM 06-30-2010
I saw a funny status on Facebook once. I think it went something like this, "how early can I declare it bedtime?" It was a status for moms, but I am sure those of us who are daycare providers have days where we wonder "How early can I declare it as nap time?"

Of course, I often try to push nap time back as far as I can, because if they sleep 2 hours and go down at 12:30, they'll be up at 2:30. But if they go down at 1:30, then they'll sleep until 3:30 and then get up just in time to go home. So that would almost end my "busy" part of the day at 1:30 and I can breathe a huge sigh of relief.
Preschool/daycare teacher 10:13 PM 06-30-2010
I am so glad to read your posts! It's not just on my end... This week has been VERY long for me too. Constant fighting, attitude, back talking, whining, complaining, and all of them screaming at each other. I then end up being very short with them, which makes me feel bad that night. But then the next day comes and it starts all over again, and the words, "Too bad!" actually came out of my mouth yesterday! It sounded so rude even to myself, but my mood doesn't get better as their moods continue to go down hill.
I think I'll pull my hair out if their attitudes and fighting hasn't improved by next week. I think I'll make it through this week just knowing next week is a new week. Or it BETTER be No one has any idea how tough child care is until they have dealt with all the fighting and whining and complaining, and screaming. As someone else has said, You have to have nerves of steel for this job profession.
Daycare Mommy 09:45 AM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
The second ones to be dropped off, before 7 AM mind you, RING the door bell!!! Not only do I tell everyone not to ring it, I put it in my handbook AND I have a sign that I hang on the front door saying not to ring the bell but to knock quietly!!!! My kids are still sleeping, but not after the door bell rang.
What finally got the point across for my old family that did this was taking the "Do not ring doorbell / Please knock quietly" sign off the door and taping it over the doorbell itself.
Crystal 09:55 AM 07-01-2010
simple doorbell fix: take the panel off and disconnect the wires. no more doorbell.
Daycare Mommy 10:15 AM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
simple doorbell fix: take the panel off and disconnect the wires. no more doorbell.
I'd forgotten about it til you said this, but we've done that too. No matter how many signs I put up or reminders I gave, this mom thought it was cute for her boys to come flying up the walk and then pound on the door and ring the bell constantly until I got there. It was just annoying at first, then just plain unacceptable once I enrolled an infant that came super early and was still sleeping every day when this very noisy second family arrived... at least until the boys hit my door. My husband disconnected the door bell and only then did it FINALLY occur to her that it wasn't so cute from our side of the door.
momma2girls 10:34 AM 07-01-2010
Unfortunately in newer houses, you can't do this. In my last house and this one, they were all hooked into all the wires into the house. I have a sign under my doorbell, please do not use during daytime hours.
Crystal 10:50 AM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
Unfortunately in newer houses, you can't do this. In my last house and this one, they were all hooked into all the wires into the house. I have a sign under my doorbell, please do not use during daytime hours.
then you just open the doorbell fixture inside the house and disconnect the wires there.
Francine 11:17 AM 07-01-2010
THat's what I did! Tried the notes taped right over the door bell and they would ring it through the paper, not so much parents but UPS, FedX etc.
misol 11:32 AM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by Golden Rule:
..... She is in the screaming corner, bean bag next to my desk here, and rarely makes it to the "4 hours continuous mark" in my contract, but does this up to 3 days weekly. (She has been here for almost all of her 3 years and started this around December, nobody else here does it, and she also does it at home. They have talked to their ped many times about it.)
Golden Rule, what happens at the 4 hour continuous crying mark? Do you call the parents to come pick up? I haven't had that happen quite yet but I have a kid who pushes the envelope. He will cry for about 2.5-3 hours straight, then stop to eat, then cry for another hour or two, etc. So technically it's not continuous. I might consider adding this to my handbook but changing it to 3 hours LOL.

hI Hope everyone's day gets better! It's Friday Eve! Whoot whoot! My hope is that most of you have Monday off. I'm so glad I have the "If the holiday falls on a weekend..." rule in my handbook.
sahm2three 11:32 AM 07-01-2010
Can someone tell me how to disconnect the dog bark? ROFL! Seriously, she barks at everyone, even if they don't knock! UGH!
Golden Rule 11:49 AM 07-01-2010
Can someone tell me how to disconnect the dog bark? ROFL! Seriously, she barks at everyone, even if they don't knock! UGH!
The dog bark birdhouse....intended for neighbors dogs. At Doctors Foster & Smith. Been sleeping good for a while, now (neighbors put their dog pen on property line, next to my bedrom window...ugh. Even though they also have over 5 acres...).... Just emits sounds that drive them nuts...

I know you were kidding, but it works...
momma2girls 02:03 PM 07-01-2010
then you just open the doorbell fixture inside the house and disconnect the wires there.
Oh, I never thought of that!! lol!! I have a note under mine, to not ring it.
Golden Rule 02:43 PM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
Golden Rule, what happens at the 4 hour continuous crying mark? Do you call the parents to come pick up? I haven't had that happen quite yet but I have a kid who pushes the envelope. He will cry for about 2.5-3 hours straight, then stop to eat, then cry for another hour or two, etc. So technically it's not continuous. I might consider adding this to my handbook but changing it to 3 hours LOL.
Wow!! I missed this completely....sorry. Yes, my contract states that a temper tantrum lasting more than 4 hours (wth great detail as to what constitutes a tantrum ie. no tears, no other cause than to control an event, inanimate object or person etc.) wil require the child to be picked up.

It also goes into detail about my recommending having this followed up with a pediatrician, as it could be a sign of health issues, before deciding on a plan of discipline.

The last time I got this close to having to enforce this was 6 years ago.... so it does not happen often.
misol 06:33 PM 07-01-2010
Originally Posted by Golden Rule:
Wow!! I missed this completely....sorry. Yes, my contract states that a temper tantrum lasting more than 4 hours (wth great detail as to what constitutes a tantrum ie. no tears, no other cause than to control an event, inanimate object or person etc.) wil require the child to be picked up.

It also goes into detail about my recommending having this followed up with a pediatrician, as it could be a sign of health issues, before deciding on a plan of discipline.

The last time I got this close to having to enforce this was 6 years ago.... so it does not happen often.
Thanks. I think I will do this too.
QualiTcare 10:05 PM 07-01-2010
Sheesh! Is it Friday yet?!?!?!? It has been yet again, another LONG week! I don't know what has gotten into kids (and some parents!). First, one dc mom has been late every day. She is my first to drop off, so when she is late, it means I could have slept in!!! Then her kids start off fighting the SECOND they walk in the door!!! UGH! The second ones to be dropped off, before 7 AM mind you, RING the door bell!!! Not only do I tell everyone not to ring it, I put it in my handbook AND I have a sign that I hang on the front door saying not to ring the bell but to knock quietly!!!! My kids are still sleeping, but not after the door bell rang. Then I made this super yummy carmel roll thing and the kids picked at it!!! I went to all that trouble and time making them and they totally picked at it. Then the baby didn't sleep but about 15 minutes and is now super fussy. We went outside, but it is so flipping hot that it made the kids even more irritable even though they have plenty of water stuff to do. So they continued to fight. We come in and the rule is everyone takes their wet stuff out to the deck and lays them out to dry. I think 1 out of 10 did it. My son was supposed to clean his room and he brought up "dirty" clothes. What he brought up was the last month's worth of CLEAN clothes I gave him to put away!!!! UGH!!!! And it is only 10!!!! God help me! LOL! Thanks for listening, just needed to get it out!
If the parents have been told not to ring it and there's a sign on the door, I'm just guessing that it's probably the kids ringing it. When I would take my kids to daycare, my little one would run ahead of me sometimes and ring the bell which wasn't an issue because it was a large center and nobody was being disturbed - but the bell was for visitors that didn't have the security code. he just loved pushing the button and hearing the bell cus he was 2 and that's what 2 year olds think is cool. he's progressed to bigger and better things like operating the buttons on the toaster and microwave now. I'd just take the bell off like crystal said or it's gonna keep ringing.
Tags:long week, tgif
Reply Up