Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drama King?
Hunni Bee 03:20 PM 02-16-2013
My three year old nephew is becoming wayyyyy over-drama-fied. He cries so much, and his crying is now accompanied by these long tirades about the woes of his life lol...

It used to be just "im coughing, I have the hiccups" or "my leg/lip/eye/whatever hurts", when told no or asked to something he doesn't want to.

Now its "everybodys angry at me! Nobody's my friend anymore! Nobody's happy! Wahhhhh..." Its really getting crazy because he does it all thr time.

My mom said the other day he did it for 45 minutes! She said she sat and listened and consoled for thr first 20, and he seriously sounded like a grown woman in a therapy session.

I think it has to do with thr fact that he won't be the only child in the family soon. But isn't he a little young for this kind of thing? Hr just turned 3 at thr end of November.
Starburst 04:30 PM 02-16-2013
It does sound like he is trying to get attention- which would be explained if a baby is on the way. He may feel that there is so much talk about a new baby that he feels when the baby gets there no one will have time for him. But no, he's not too young toshow signs of being jealous. Toddlers are more than capable of jealousy- they are at the begining ages of consiousness to were they beaware of their surroundings and are more than capable of understanding that a new kid will change things- especially if they are used to being the only child.

You can try reading him books about becoming a big brother and why being an older sibling is special. If the mom knows she is having a girl and is having another baby shower or plans on having a gender reveil/ultrasound party (they are becoming more popular) she can ask that guests bring a small gift for the older brother. Or you guys can have an 'all about me' day for him and take him to a movie or a park or do something he likes to do. Or promise that once a week, month, every other month after the baby is born he will get a special "big brother only" day with 1 or 2 adults (mom, dad, grandma/pa, auntie/uncle) while someone watches lil bro/sis.

I think this a reason why most parents don't want their kids to be too far apart- I hear alot of people say they idealy want their 1st and 2nd children to be no more than 2 years apart (if they can help it). I'm a first born too; but my brother is only 1.5 years younger than me- iIm not sure if that was planned or not.
cheerfuldom 04:35 PM 02-16-2013
are you sure mom is not feeding into this? if she is pregnant (and probably exhausted at this point), she may be so busy prepping for baby and taking care of herself that he feels he has to resort to this behavior for attention.
Hunni Bee 05:37 PM 02-16-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
are you sure mom is not feeding into this? if she is pregnant (and probably exhausted at this point), she may be so busy prepping for baby and taking care of herself that he feels he has to resort to this behavior for attention.
You are right, his mom does feed into it. Her parenting skills aren't the best.

But its me that's pregnant, not her. He's just the only child in the entire family, and now there will be a new baby cousin to share the limelight with. We're a tight knit family.
Starburst 05:53 PM 02-16-2013
Well then that does seem to change the game a bit that makes sense to why he said that to grandma instead of you or his mom! He may be afraid that since he is not the only grandchild anymore that Grandma will only give the baby attention/ gifts.

I understand what you mean now. My cousin's son (3 soon to be 4) is the first born and only child in his generation on our side of the family (so far) and he is with his mother's (my cousin) side most of the time and is extreamly spoiled with gifts/attention by everyone. I admit it- I am sometimes guilty of this too . But his Nonna, Nonnu, and Auntie (my aunt, uncle, cousin) spoil him the most on our side- though from what I hear his dad's mom spoils him alot too. And he LOVES his Auntie- he listens to her more then he listens to his own mom (or his Nonna). I seriously think if his auntie had a baby he would totally flip out! Even more so than if his mom had another baby.
Tags:family, jealous, new baby
Reply Up