Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCD Shows Up With Formula For Breastfed Baby
Unregistered 08:02 AM 03-11-2013
I started an 8 week old infant who belongs to a friend of mine (yes, i know) but she has two older girls who i cared for before and they moved into our neighborhood after the girls had already been here a few months, but after a while husband got layed off and he started keeping them, and when they needed care again i was full.....fast forward 1 year, now they have a new baby......it just so happened i had space for all 3 girls but me and mom have become pretty good friends in the mean time (we live like 5 houses apart).

Now, to the issue, Dad dropped off the girls today and brought baby with formula.........she has been on breastmilk, last thursday, dcm gave me the heads up that she was going to switch but wasn't having much luck bc baby is refusing the enfamil, well i dropped by her house saturday evening to pick up my children (i had cpr and first aid class) and i asked her how she was dealing with the formula today, and she told me that she hasnt been giving it to her bc she has just been avoiding it as long as she can.

That was sat at 6pm. Do you think that they got her used to it in one day?

She ate at 7:30am today and hasn't woke yet so i have no idea what im in for but if she is refusing to eat or screaming.....etc, are there any helpful hints i should know about? I dont have any breastmilk to mix it with, just straight enfamil. Btw she is 11weeks now.

If she does refuse would it be unreasonable to call dcp to pick up? Or do i just stick to it, she WILL eat eventually right?

I thought when she said "trying to switch" it would be a longer process kwim,

I dont know her reaction yet but i will let you all know, i just want to be prepared with ideas befor she awakes, which should be about 15-30 min :-)
SquirrellyMama 08:13 AM 03-11-2013
It might not be that bad. My first dd switched around that age and took right to it. My other 2 were bf'd longer and never wanted to take a bottle even if it had br milk in it.

I think you could call parents if she refuses the bottle and is miserable.

K
momofboys 08:17 AM 03-11-2013
PArents shouldn't have placed it in your hands to get her onto formula - very unfair IMO - if she won't drink it I would say they need to pick up & she can't come over until she has made the transition.
MarinaVanessa 08:43 AM 03-11-2013
I think that this question should have been directed at the parent at drop-off.

"Hey Steve, I noticed that the baby was dropped off with Enfamil and no breastmilk. I know that on Saturday evening I talked to Susan and she said that she wasn't having much luck with it and wasn't giving it to her so I'm a little wary. Did you have complete success yesterday with the formula? Because if not and if I have trouble with it, just to give you the heads up, she'll need to be picked up early or I'll need breastmilk to be dropped off"

If you have any trouble at all you should give either mom or dad a call and relay the same message as above and either require that they immediately bring breastmilk or that they come to pick her up.
crazydaycarelady 09:21 AM 03-11-2013
This happens as lot in daycare! Child gives up binky starting Monday morning. Child starts wearing underwear beginning Monday morning. Baby eats formula, first thing Monday morning!
Unregistered 09:52 AM 03-11-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
This happens as lot in daycare! Child gives up binky starting Monday morning. Child starts wearing underwear beginning Monday morning. Baby eats formula, first thing Monday morning!
ROFL

That's hilarious! Thankfully baby girl did good for her feeding, i was just working myself up over nothing. I know i should have addressed this issue with dad but i he rarely picks up or drops off and is a police officer and ex military so he is like straightlaced, stonefaced, back stiff, never laughs type guy and frankly, intimidating.

He called back to let me know he would be picking up at 11:30 to take baby to dr. for shots, so i only had to do one feeding, maybe they were more thoughful than i initially thought. Poor little baby, FORMULA & SHOTS all in one day! Welcome to the real world little one.....
MarinaVanessa 10:27 AM 03-11-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I know i should have addressed this issue with dad but i he rarely picks up or drops off and is a police officer and ex military so he is like straightlaced, stonefaced, back stiff, never laughs type guy and frankly, intimidating.
Maybe it's just me but nothing scares me anymore ... I do daycare .
jenn 06:36 AM 03-12-2013
Some kids don't really have trouble transitioning, so I would give it a try. If the baby is refusing to eat, I would call someone to either pick up, or provide milk the baby will accept.
Reply Up