Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>She Put The Baby Over The Fence And Told Her To Go To My Door By Herself!!
permanentvacation 07:09 AM 06-25-2014
I can't take anymore! My 17 month old's mother called this morning and asked if her cousin could drop the baby off at 10 instead of their scheduled drop off time of 9. I told her that I really need them here at 9 so I can start our day and activities, but since she (the mother) had gotten in a car accident and she is relying on her sister to bring the child to daycare right now, I said that would be fine.

So, the other kids are playing in the back room, the dog is looking out the front door. I just finished eating breakfast and decided to look out the door with the dog. It's 9:08 and I see the 17 month old is walking up my sidewalk inside my fence BY HERSELF!!! And her adult cousin is standing outside of my gate!!! The adult had lifted the child over my gate and told her to go up to my door! SHE'S 17MONTHS OLD!!! I have 2 concrete steps that the baby would have to get herself up to get onto my porch. If my dog weren't looking out the door, I would have had NO CLUE that the child was out there!

I just can't get over this! It's almost an hour later and I'm still shaking and stuttering! (I shake and stutter when I get too upset) As the cousin was driving away, I started saying I think I need to just go work at McDonalds! I can't handle what some of these people think is okay to do with their children.

What if the baby had fallen down the steps and busted her head open? What if the baby had fallen down the steps and damaged herself in a life-long way (got brain damage for example)? Would the cousin have stood at the gate and made sure that I brought the child in my house, or would she have gotten in her car and driven off before I even noticed the child in my yard?

After I saw the baby on the sidewalk, all Hell broke loose. I yelled through the door to the cousin telling her she HAS to get the baby and bring her in. The dog started barking like crazy, so I had to yell louder at the lady. Then I yelled up the steps for my daughter to come get her dog. The lady is yelling back at me that she can't open the gate. I don't understand why she is incapable of lifting the normal gate latch but apparently it's a difficult maneuver for her or something! I start getting my dog up the steps and make him go with my daughter. The lady opens the gate and brings the girl in. I went off on her and told her that she can never do that again! She has to come into the house with the baby.

I don't know! I just don't understand some people.

I called my sister - (who did daycare for 25 years a while ago) to try to calm myself down. She couldn't believe this woman did that either. Then I called the mother of the child. She said the cousin had already told her that she put the baby over the gate and she said that she told her cousin off and said to her 'Don't you know how young my daughter is? What's wrong with you?" I told the mother to make sure that everyone who drops the baby off knows that they HAVE TO bring the child all the way into the house. I told the mother that I was so shaking up by this that I almost called her and told her to just come get the child because I was so upset that I couldn't calm down enough to watch her today. But I didn't send her home.

It's been an hour now and I'm still quite upset about this.
Naptime yet? 07:36 AM 06-25-2014
Deep breaths...

I would say unbelievable, but I'm not shocked. To say some people are stupid is an understatement.
Angelsj 08:24 AM 06-25-2014
Also not shocked! People can be pretty dumb.

midaycare 08:32 AM 06-25-2014
Some people ...
Soccermom 08:48 AM 06-25-2014
Sadly this does not surprise me one bit....

I had a DCD who would send his 19 month old through the kitchen and downstairs to find us all by himself. He would just yell to me from the entrance

"Hi there, _________ is here! Have a good day, talk to you later!"

AND both parents were not working at the time so it's not like they were in a big rush to get to go anywhere all the time.

I would jump up and run up the steps to help DCB come down....sad.

I don't understand why people think these types of things are okay...plus if the child gets injured on our property, we become responsible.
daycare 08:59 AM 06-25-2014
I had a Dad do this once, but he had the kid walk down the STREET. This kid was 3.

Dad only visits like 3 times a year and I guess thought that it was ok to park down the street and let the kid walk to my house by herself.

She could hardly knock on the door and when I finally heard the light knocking I open the door to see her standing there, the dad was no where in sight.

He did not even wait to see her go in let alone drop her off down the street.

The only reason I know he dropped her off down the street is because my next door neighbor was out watering her lawn and came over and told me shortly after the dad leaving. She saw the whole thing.

I guess when people don't have kids or don't know what is appropriate because they are not used to dealing with kids they don't know what is or is not ok. Not saying it was ok, just not shocking to me I guess.
permanentvacation 10:30 AM 06-25-2014
This is the same 17 month old that I had to demand that they get a car seat for the child or I would have to call the authorities on them putting the baby in a car with no car seat. She also only takes a max of a 45 minute nap because they put her down for a 2 hour nap as soon as she gets picked up from daycare! So she sleeps from 4:30/5pm - 6:30/7, has dinner then goes to bed for the night.
AmyKidsCo 11:26 AM 06-25-2014
Wow, people are crazy!
melilley 11:34 AM 06-25-2014
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
This is the same 17 month old that I had to demand that they get a car seat for the child or I would have to call the authorities on them putting the baby in a car with no car seat. She also only takes a max of a 45 minute nap because they put her down for a 2 hour nap as soon as she gets picked up from daycare! So she sleeps from 4:30/5pm - 6:30/7, has dinner then goes to bed for the night.
I just don't get it. Sad.
Reply Up