Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Let Me Introduce Myself...
permanentvacation 07:49 PM 07-05-2011
Guess I'll introduce myself a bit finally.

I have owned and operated a licensed home daycare for the most part of 20 years in Maryland. Before I opened my own daycare, I worked for my sister at her home daycare for a while. I have moved a couple of times - due to my ex-husband. When I moved and was waiting for my new daycare license, I went out to work. I was the manager of a hotel once - that was a really cool job. I have also worked in 3 daycare centers - one for 1/2 a day. They wanted to make me the assistant director of the center. So they had me work in each room for about 1/2 - 1 hour each. In each room, there was something that was extremely dangerous about it - such as sissors, a stapler, letter opener, etc. located in the bottom drawer with no baby latch in the baby room - can you tell me why? The cribs were tied together at one time and then untied and they tied the yarn to itself around the crib railing and left it dangling in the crib. A child could have easily hung themselves with it! They told me to let the 4 year old go down the hallway by himself to the bathroom -(he's supposed to be within sight and sound at all times) and the bathroom is right next to the back door - which has no alarm on it, no one is anywhere near the door to see if anyone goes in or out of it, and it leads outside where there is no fence. But they told me to let the boy go by himself to the bathroom. I gave him about 3 steps by himself and then told the lady that she'd be out of ratio in the room, but I'm going to monitor the boy in the bathroom. Glad I did - there was a mop bucket full of bleach water sitting in the bathroom by itself! The boy could have drown in it, drank it, who knows what! So I quit that job and turned them in in 1/2 day! Another center was just too chaotic for me - worked there about 2 or so weeks and found the job at the 3rd center - I worked there til I got my new daycare license for my home that I had just moved into. But for the most part of 20 years I've owned my home daycare. I love my job! I like teaching the preschoolers the best. I really like seeing them light up after trying to get them to understand a new concept and they finally get it! They are so excited and proud of themselves! Of course my personal favorite thing about doing home daycare is being able to be with my own children as much as possible. I absoutely love being involved in my children's lives. Probably because my mom died when I was around 20 years old. I had recently gotten married - she did get to see and be a part of my wedding. But she died when I was 3 months pregnant with my first child. She didn't even get to see my children. So I think her death made me realize that you really don't know how much time you have with the people you love. I know that when my kids turn 18 years old, they can move anywhere in the world they want - I might not see them much after they're 18, but I also know that they or I might not even be around that long - not that I'm always expecting death - just that realistically, you never know. So I embrace every moment that I can with my children and the people that I love.

I am qualified to be a director of a center with 20 children. I am working - slowly- on my A.S. Degree in Early Childhood Education. Once I get my A. S., I can be the director of a center with an unlimited amount of children. One day, after my younger daughter is grown, I might try to open my own center.

Welp, guess that's about the basics of who I am. I'm sure you'll learn more about me as I work my way up to 100 posts on here!
Michael 03:32 AM 07-06-2011
Welcome to the Forum!
rbmom 08:19 PM 07-06-2011
Hello and welcome!
permanentvacation 07:51 AM 07-07-2011
Hi guys, thank you for welcoming me!
Tags:new member
Reply Up