Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Craigslist
KEG123 12:43 PM 01-08-2011
So I see a few of you use CL to advertise... If you do, do you get many people responding? What information do you include in your ad? Do you put your phone number in the ad, or just do e-mail.

Just curious because ads sometimes scare me, you never know who it is calling, etc. (But this is something I'm going to have to get over somewhat)
DBug 01:11 PM 01-08-2011
I use Kijiji (basically the same as CL) as my primary form of advertising, and I've gotten a ton of business from it. I DO NOT list my phone number or address (too easy for the bad guys to find you ), but I list my website and email address. My website has all of my rates, policies, availabilities, etc., but it also does not list my address.

My ads usually start with the benefits of my daycare (craft/circle time, lots of outdoor play, early potty learning, etc) and then I give the available spot and the age I'm looking for. And then I give my website address -- people either go there first and contact me with the contact form on the site, or they email me through Kijiji (not sure if CL has that option).

I just find it's safer to do everything through email. I do have a sign outside, but if you haven't been on my street, you wouldn't know where I'm located.
Abigail 01:21 PM 01-08-2011
Our Craigslist is fine. It depends on how much is posted in your city (if you city even has a CL category). I know I posted ads for my sister's small unlicensed daycare a few years back and only got one response in a year! LOL, it was free so I had to use it. It did give out her number because she doesn't have the internet, but I would never give out my number. Her ad didn't do well mostly because her city wasn't listed under the state on CL. Hope that is not too confusing.

What catches my eye just to look at the tons (10-25 per day) of listings in daycare in our area is something unique. I don't like to see "Daycare Opening" or "Daycare" or even "Infant Spots" as titles....why? they are on there everyday and it's not unique enough to find the same one you read a few days later. The recent CL subject line that caught my attention was "Now Interviewing" and so I clicked to read it. Others are just repeats so I don't want to waste my time clicking on three ads that all say "Daycare Openings" if it might be the same person.
Michael 02:45 PM 01-08-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Our Craigslist is fine. It depends on how much is posted in your city (if you city even has a CL category). I know I posted ads for my sister's small unlicensed daycare a few years back and only got one response in a year! LOL, it was free so I had to use it. It did give out her number because she doesn't have the internet, but I would never give out my number. Her ad didn't do well mostly because her city wasn't listed under the state on CL. Hope that is not too confusing.

What catches my eye just to look at the tons (10-25 per day) of listings in daycare in our area is something unique. I don't like to see "Daycare Opening" or "Daycare" or even "Infant Spots" as titles....why? they are on there everyday and it's not unique enough to find the same one you read a few days later. The recent CL subject line that caught my attention was "Now Interviewing" and so I clicked to read it. Others are just repeats so I don't want to waste my time clicking on three ads that all say "Daycare Openings" if it might be the same person.
That is why we stopped with the free listings years ago. We charge a minimal fee per month. With the credit card information we know we are not getting fly by nights since money is involved. KinderCare just listed their 1700 centers with us.
lvt77 03:23 PM 01-08-2011
I give minimal information on both my website and CL postings
I only give out my phone #

Heres the thing, you are going to bring anyone who reads craigs list into your house.. I had a crazy experience where a young family came into my home after responding to a CL add and the man was NUTS. The couple not married, came to my house for a tour. Seemed like ok people

then all of a sudden the man started coming by my house unannounced wanted to say hi and weird stuff...You have to be very catious. Dont give out personal info during a tour of your house either..

My advice is that you give minimal info as possible, do a phone interview first, and then if you are ok with the people, then proceed. Never include your pic. of you or your dck on your site. If you do blur out the faces for safety and respect.
It took my husband getting involved to tell this guy to take a hike or esle to stop it. I was afraid to leave my home or be here alone for a bit,,,
I still advertise on there and still give tours, but only when my husband is home.

I did try daycarematch.com paid money to use it and did not get one hit out of it..
marniewon 03:37 PM 01-08-2011
I use CL, but I do not give out my phone number or even my email addy. I direct them to my website, which also doesn't have my actual email addy, just a "contact me" form that goes to my email, or they will just reply to the fictitious email addy that CL provides. I have ads out on CL and a local board. They are the same exact ad. I was pretty sure I wasn't getting any hits from CL, but the family who just signed with me said they saw my ad on CL. They also saw it on the local board, but saw it on CL first (and replied from there).

Honestly, I really don't want anyone knowing my phone number or location, and prefer they not have my email addy either, until I get a feel for them. At one point I had my number on my website, and I got this really freaky family. To be fair, they had very thick accents (Indian, I believe) so I'm assuming that they had moved to this country recently and had really no idea of how things work here as far as daycare goes. But it was to the point that when I finally did allow the interview, I had my dd's REALLY BIG boyfriend here when dad came to interview. And he called numerous times, and I think the language conflict would have been to great to fill - he was just not getting a lot of the things I was saying, and I was very confused by a lot of what he said also.
ddnanny13 12:50 PM 01-10-2011
I just posted an ad on craigslist and this is what it said:

My name is Danelle and I have several openings in my home daycare available. I have one spot for 6 months up as well as 3 others for school age children. We have a structured environment that includes a pre-school curriculum, circle time, music, and room for spontaneous learning. My pre-school curriculum is based upon MN state standards for Kindergarten as well as being catered to a variety of different ages. It includes everything from History and Social Studies to counting and letters. I also use a large amount of sign language in my program as an additional way to foster learning. Infants are included as much as possible in all of our activities as well as given their own opportunities to learn. I check infants milestones to ensure proper development and work with parents to help all children reach their goals. My home is your child's home and I use as such. My entire home is open for the children giving them more space to learn, grow, and play. This also allows for alone time if children want or need. We follow a food program for all meals so you can be assured your child will be served nutritious food while in my care. My after school program offers homework help, nutritious, snacks, free play as well as other individual needs that children may have. To set up a tour or interview please respond to this post or contact Danelle at 763-742-4203.

I have pics of the daycare itself but none with any people in them. I only schedule interviews when my hubby is home- craigslist ad or not. I also inform them that I have several family members on the police force hear, just casual conversation... haha. Only business I have ever gotten was word of mouth or from craigslist.
Tags:advertising, craigs list
Reply Up