Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Backwards Numbers
Michelle 10:24 AM 01-25-2012
I have a 4 year old that is whizzing through 0-10 addition math problems with ease and I am just a little concerned that she is writing some numbers backwards. Should I ignore it for now so that she doesn't get discouraged?
Or should I have her erase the number and rewrite it every time?
It is usually number 7 and 2
We do practice writing our numbers correctly on separate sheets.
She just keeps reversing them when doing her math.
Michael 12:12 PM 01-25-2012
I would keep working on it as 27. Make it mean something other then numbers so she visualizes it as something new.
kendallina 01:44 PM 01-25-2012
It's totally normal for kids to write numbers backwards sometimes or often. I once had a little girl that always wrote her whole name backwards. When they are developmentally ready, they'll get it. I think it's fine to mention it sometimes that it's backwards, but I wouldn't 'make her' rewrite it.
grandmom 02:11 PM 01-25-2012
My own dd did this with many things. She tested in the 99% nationwide for highly gifted in math and non-verbal. She can still write upside down and backwards at the same time. This is stuff of engineers.
Kaddidle Care 03:07 PM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by kendallina:
It's totally normal for kids to write numbers backwards sometimes or often. I once had a little girl that always wrote her whole name backwards. When they are developmentally ready, they'll get it. I think it's fine to mention it sometimes that it's backwards, but I wouldn't 'make her' rewrite it.
I work with 4-5 year olds for the most part and they OFTEN write their names backwards. Even the ones that have been writing it for quite some time by themselves correctly. We usually have a giggle over it. It's no biggie.

The fact that the 4 year old is breezing through these problems is unique in itself. I would just say "oopsie, that number is backwards or reversed. Let me fix that for you." and move on.

Perhaps a little more practice on writing numbers but not at the same time as doing the math. You've got a bright one there!
Michelle 03:22 PM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
I work with 4-5 year olds for the most part and they OFTEN write their names backwards. Even the ones that have been writing it for quite some time by themselves correctly. We usually have a giggle over it. It's no biggie.

The fact that the 4 year old is breezing through these problems is unique in itself. I would just say "oopsie, that number is backwards or reversed. Let me fix that for you." and move on.

Perhaps a little more practice on writing numbers but not at the same time as doing the math. You've got a bright one there!
Oh, I know! I would like to claim credit but she and her brother are gifted.
She's reading first grade level. I have had her since she was 2 and I taught her to read at 3 but she would have learned anyway.
Well thank you everyone, I will use all of your great advice.
Lilbutterflie 03:42 PM 01-25-2012
Yup, my DD still occasionally writes some letters/numbers backwards and she is in 1st grade. She is a great student and getting all A's. Her teacher says it is completely normal for them to write letters/numbers backwards until the 2nd grade.
DBug 07:27 AM 01-26-2012
One of my instructors in teachers' college explained it like this: a spoon is a spoon, no matter which way you hold it, just like with every other object in the world -- except for letters and numbers. A "b" completely changes it's meaning when it's backwards or upside down. It's a HUGE shift in perspective for a child to grasp! So it's definitely not a big deal and its completely normal, especially at this age.

She's doing amazingly well for so young! Keep up the good work .
Reply Up