Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sitting While Playing
blandino 05:11 PM 02-21-2013
I have noticed that a few of you have a rule, or probably more of a standard, for your kids that they are to be sitting while they play. This is something I would like to start implementing with my children, but haven't done. They are familiar with the concept, because at some activities we only "sit on our bottoms"... But I am wondering how to start implementing this. What words do you use ? What are your exceptions ? Has anyone implemented this rule with a group who has not grown up with it ?

I have a fairly good crowd, but I see so many benefits to the sitting while playing concept - that I would like to implement it. Any and all advice and suggestions are very welcome.
rmc20021 05:48 PM 02-21-2013
I just simply tell them to play with the toys on the floor...over and over as needed. Sometimes I feel bad not letting them run around the way they're used to doing at home, but when you have a house full of kids it becomes a safety issue.

I don't make them just sit on the floor to play, but certain toys they want to fly through the air, or they get over stimulated and start slinging arms and legs and toys so I really watch and if they start getting too riled up I redirect them to quieter play.

Sometimes they will 'forget' and try running cars on the wall, or on the shelving units or the toy box...I just keep reminding them.

I looked up the daycare whisperer's video's on youtube yesterday and actually had my kids watch it with me so they know I'm not the only one who has those rules...reinforcing what I say to them.

If you haven't been doing that all along and want to start it, I would sit them down and explain it to them first, show them some examples, have them show me the proper ways to play with the toys and just keep reinforcing it. If you let up even once, they will try to push it.

I notice every once in a while one of the kids will 'forget' and they will immediately look over at me to see if I saw what they had done because they suddenly remembered. I remind them again. If they do the same thing a third time, they go to time out.
Heidi 06:10 PM 02-21-2013
I'm sorry, I just don't get it...maybe if I had a bigger group, but I can't imagine limiting them like that. So, I guess I have no input and I should myob...mmob, that is...
blandino 07:08 PM 02-21-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I'm sorry, I just don't get it...maybe if I had a bigger group, but I can't imagine limiting them like that. So, I guess I have no input and I should myob...mmob, that is...

See the group size is my issue. It didn't seem to be a problem when all my almost 4 year olds were little, but as they are approaching 4 (1 of who is wildly energetic - but a FANTASTIC and obedient child) it is causing too much commotion and small injuries (no one actually gets hurt, but lots of whining and tattling). Luckily we have a separate room for the babies - so their safety isn't being jeprodized, but it just isn't feeling very safe for me to have 8/9 bigger kids constantly up and on the move.

Wildly energetic DCB now has two younger DCBs who are coming into their 3s and trying to emulate him and also are enjoying his style of play. Which means that 3 are starting to "play" that way and I just feel like I work in a constant war zone (maybe a slight exaggeration). I have offered the ringleader a separate room to play in when he needs to play rough like that, and that helped a lot. But I just think the idea of sitting while playing would benefit everyone right now.
EchoMom 07:31 PM 02-21-2013
I don't get it either and it seems harsh to me, but I don't have as many kids as some of the other providers here do. So I can't say what rules I would implement in that situation. Good job to everyone that finds the exact behavior management strategies that work for them and thier group!

I have six kids ages 3 months-2.75years. On some days it's all toddlers and twos. I can't imagine having one and two year olds sit on their bottoms to play so I'm assuming this must be a rule for older ones, considering my group really doesn't even know how to race cars on anything yet.
nannyde 04:56 AM 02-22-2013
I don't do "sit and play". I do floor based play. They can get up and down a zillion times a day and move across the floor. The TOYS stay on the floor not the kids butt.
Heidi 05:24 AM 02-22-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't do "sit and play". I do floor based play. They can get up and down a zillion times a day and move across the floor. The TOYS stay on the floor not the kids butt.
Thanks for the clarification! It seems counterintuitive that we are being pushed into "Active Early" and then telling them to play on their bottoms.
nannyde 05:41 AM 02-22-2013
Thanks for the clarification! It seems counterintuitive that we are being pushed into "Active Early" and then telling them to play on their bottoms.
The amount of exercise they get with the toys on the floor is off the hook. They get up and down HUNDREDS of times a day. When I first started doing day care I had table top and chest level toys. I saw such a difference when I started having floor based play. I only have a couple of toys that are shelved or table top and the rest is off the floor. (kitchen sets, block table and tool table). EVERYTHING else is taken to the floor. I don't allow non blocks at the block table. I don't allow non kitchen stuff at the kitchen. I don't allow non tools at the tool bench.

So I keep the dedicated toys to the upright equipment. If I didn't the few flat chest level surfaces I have would be where all the toys were taken to and I would have hoarding and body blocking to protect their real estate. I want them to take them down to the floor where there is ample flat surface and they have to WORK hard to play.
countrymom 05:55 AM 02-22-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
The amount of exercise they get with the toys on the floor is off the hook. They get up and down HUNDREDS of times a day. When I first started doing day care I had table top and chest level toys. I saw such a difference when I started having floor based play. I only have a couple of toys that are shelved or table top and the rest is off the floor. (kitchen sets, block table and tool table). EVERYTHING else is taken to the floor. I don't allow non blocks at the block table. I don't allow non kitchen stuff at the kitchen. I don't allow non tools at the tool bench.

So I keep the dedicated toys to the upright equipment. If I didn't the few flat chest level surfaces I have would be where all the toys were taken to and I would have hoarding and body blocking to protect their real estate. I want them to take them down to the floor where there is ample flat surface and they have to WORK hard to play.
this is what i do, toys go on the floor, except for art projects and coloring that is done at the table. I also only allow kitchen stuff in the house center/doll center and tools at the tool center (sometimes they do fix the house so the hammers are in the house center, but it makes sense) I also find that this way when its time to clean up they know where everything belongs, just like when they become older. I keep the toys on the floor.
Country Kids 06:16 AM 02-22-2013
I don't do bottom only-heck they can barely seem to keep their bottoms in their chairs. I'm actually taking chairs away now and they can just stand if they aren't going to sit.

I do want to start keeping them sitting/kneeling on the floor though because I have a few that want to "FLY" cars and "RACE" cars then bang them into the walls. I finally ended up taking all my bigger vehicles and putting them away and when I rotate I may bring them out again but it will be bottom/kneeling only play with those.

Also, doing hula hoop play where I put certain toys in the hula hoop and they have to play with it in there.
canadiancare 06:26 AM 02-22-2013
They don't have to play sitting down here. The only rules I have are that the cars need to be used on the carpet (they would stand at my picture window and run them along the window frame otherwise- scratching it). I also don't allow the "W" sit so if I see kids sitting that way they are reminded to "fix their feet".
itlw8 06:53 AM 02-22-2013
preschoolers NEED to move If you have one very active child can you make a place where it is safe to jump and such. Winter can be hard if you can't get out. 5 minutes outdoors can help alot.

Yes I have some things I want them to use at the tables but to insist they sit, no it is not developmentally appropriate.

Instead look again at your environment and see if there is a way to fix the problem that way. Look for runways and get rid of them. See where you can make a large open space that allows to move safely . I move the tables and put down mats. that means you can roll around and be wild as long as we are safe.
blandino 08:37 AM 02-22-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
preschoolers NEED to move If you have one very active child can you make a place where it is safe to jump and such. Winter can be hard if you can't get out. 5 minutes outdoors can help alot.

Yes I have some things I want them to use at the tables but to insist they sit, no it is not developmentally appropriate.

Instead look again at your environment and see if there is a way to fix the problem that way. Look for runways and get rid of them. See where you can make a large open space that allows to move safely . I move the tables and put down mats. that means you can roll around and be wild as long as we are safe.
He has an entire room he goes to in to play wildly, and we only use this room to nap - so it is completely empty other than a rack full of mats. So he has the space, but when it comes time to do an activity - he is constantly up and around playing with it. He always has the freedom to move and go use the free room if he needs to. But when he wants to join the others for an activity, I won't jeprodize them getting hurt (even if just slightly) because he wants to be up and running DURING the activity.

For us, rolling around ad acting wild is contaigous and with 8 kids, having everyone play in that manner can't be safe. I am not wanting him to sit for 10 hours a day, but he does need to learn that there is an appropriate time and place. They get 1 hour of outside time eah day, but not until 12 noon when it warms up enough to be outside.
itlw8 08:58 AM 02-22-2013
If he is the only one in the large empty room then it would seem like a punishment. Add one friend it is fun. Add a group then you take turns. I use 2 mats but stay close by and they take turns. Right no they all like to do the broad jump. last week they were frogs. My grandson is like this. I set up road block to keep him from going through the block area.

Sound like sitting to play is not the problem but respecting the space of others is a big problem.

I also have my runners jump. If I catch them running we hold hands and I say jump. ...jump jump jump.. then I sing a song from Barney about a frog and they keep jumping. Others often join in so it is not a punishment they like it and it reminds them to slow down and it burns off excess energy.
My3cents 11:29 AM 02-22-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
If he is the only one in the large empty room then it would seem like a punishment. Add one friend it is fun. Add a group then you take turns. I use 2 mats but stay close by and they take turns. Right no they all like to do the broad jump. last week they were frogs. My grandson is like this. I set up road block to keep him from going through the block area.

Sound like sitting to play is not the problem but respecting the space of others is a big problem.

I also have my runners jump. If I catch them running we hold hands and I say jump. ...jump jump jump.. then I sing a song from Barney about a frog and they keep jumping. Others often join in so it is not a punishment they like it and it reminds them to slow down and it burns off excess energy.
we jump outside. One jumping gets everyone jumping and the space to do this activity is not a gym. It would be injury city if I allowed this. What they do at home I can't control, here I can at least try.
Reply Up