Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I really have to stop being wishy washy with the parents
Lorna 07:07 AM 06-04-2013
Yesterday one of my parents dropped off her son. Said he had diarrhea the day before and to call her if he did it more than once. I didn't say anything. Even though my policy says they can't be in the daycare for 24 hours after having diarrhea. When she said it I thought well that isn't going to happen. But he was the only child yesterday so I thought how bad could it be. So by 11 pm he had a blowout. Up his back. I had to put him in the tub and spray him down. All over my floor and rug! So I called her to pick him up. His gramma came and picked him up. I made it clear to his mother and his gramma that if he has diarrhea I can't have him in the daycare. So this morning I called her and asked how he was, if he still had diarrhea. She said he hadn't gone again since here. I told her I couldn't take him until he had a solid poop. I have other children here today so I cShe calls back an hour later and says he was solid. So I told her he could come.

So he is here now. I am really doubting what she has told me. I should have stuck to my policy that he couldn't be here until 24 hours after having diarrhea. But I know she is thinking she already paid for daycare she is leaving him here. She is working at a fastfood restaurant and I know she can't afford to miss work. She can't afford daycare as it is.

If he has diarrhea this morning then what would you do? I am thinking that I call her he goes home and has to be away an entire 24 hours. If she has a problem with that than thats it. I am done with this one. I hate when parents think my daycare is a right for them and that they have bought and paid for me! lol
Cradle2crayons 07:13 AM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by Lorna:
Yesterday one of my parents dropped off her son. Said he had diarrhea the day before and to call her if he did it more than once. I didn't say anything. Even though my policy says they can't be in the daycare for 24 hours after having diarrhea. When she said it I thought well that isn't going to happen. But he was the only child yesterday so I thought how bad could it be. So by 11 pm he had a blowout. Up his back. I had to put him in the tub and spray him down. All over my floor and rug! So I called her to pick him up. His gramma came and picked him up. I made it clear to his mother and his gramma that if he has diarrhea I can't have him in the daycare. So this morning I called her and asked how he was, if he still had diarrhea. She said he hadn't gone again since here. I told her I couldn't take him until he had a solid poop. I have other children here today so I cShe calls back an hour later and says he was solid. So I told her he could come.

So he is here now. I am really doubting what she has told me. I should have stuck to my policy that he couldn't be here until 24 hours after having diarrhea. But I know she is thinking she already paid for daycare she is leaving him here. She is working at a fastfood restaurant and I know she can't afford to miss work. She can't afford daycare as it is.

If he has diarrhea this morning then what would you do? I am thinking that I call her he goes home and has to be away an entire 24 hours. If she has a problem with that than thats it. I am done with this one. I hate when parents think my daycare is a right for them and that they have bought and paid for me! lol
At the first loose stool I would call for pickup IMMEDIATELY and tell her that the child can't come back until at least Friday but that if she brings the child back Friday with diarrhea, you will insist on a doctors note and the child can't return until Tuesday of next week. I get pretty firm with parents that cant follow my illness policy. And my policy is pretty lenient.
Lorna 07:18 AM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
At the first loose stool I would call for pickup IMMEDIATELY and tell her that the child can't come back until at least Friday but that if she brings the child back Friday with diarrhea, you will insist on a doctors note and the child can't return until Tuesday of next week. I get pretty firm with parents that cant follow my illness policy. And my policy is pretty lenient.

You do how many days after a loose stool? Today is tuesday?
Cradle2crayons 07:22 AM 06-04-2013
Crap lol I thought today was a different day. I ask 24 hours after the first solid stool which would signify the stop of diarrhea. If it starts again, then that 24 hours starts over.

If they bring them back still having diarrhea, then I ask they take them back home for 48 hours but if your policy doesn't state that she may fight you on that.

I'd ask she pick up immediately at the first loose stool and not return until Thursday. But that's only IF the child's diarrhea stops.
Leigh 08:26 AM 06-04-2013
The way I look at it, the decision is out of my hands. State regulations do not allow a child with diarrhea at care. Just blame it on your license and apologize that you are not able to take the child without risking your job.
Lorna 08:28 AM 06-04-2013
Well I am not in the states. In my province most of the daycares are unlicensed which I am. Here getting licensed doen'st benefit you at all. So no one does. So all I can do is enofrce my own policies.
wahmof3 10:00 AM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Crap lol I thought today was a different day. I ask 24 hours after the first solid stool which would signify the stop of diarrhea. If it starts again, then that 24 hours starts over.

If they bring them back still having diarrhea, then I ask they take them back home for 48 hours but if your policy doesn't state that she may fight you on that.

I'd ask she pick up immediately at the first loose stool and not return until Thursday. But that's only IF the child's diarrhea stops.
LOL you said "Crap" in this thread...... sorry but I had to laugh
Cradle2crayons 10:06 AM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
LOL you said "Crap" in this thread...... sorry but I had to laugh
Hahahahahaha..... Yes... Yes I did say crap lol....

Blackcat31 11:48 AM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by Lorna:
Well I am not in the states. In my province most of the daycares are unlicensed which I am. Here getting licensed doen'st benefit you at all. So no one does. So all I can do is enofrce my own policies.
I agree that there are times in which using licensing regulations or rules can be beneficial to backing up our own policies but in all honesty, you have a rule about being diarrhea free for a full 24 hours before returning to care.

Just stick to and enforce your policy and this won't be a problem.

I also understand and sympathize with the DCM that she works a job that does not allow her paid time off when her child is sick but at the same time, she must have known you had this policy when she signed on and if managing a back up provider when necessary or taking time off isn't something she can easily do then she should have found a care provider that allows her to pay by use or one that doesn't mind when her child attends with diarrhea.

I know you made an exception because you only had that dcb for that one day, but making exceptions to your policies only confuses parents and then sets the stage for further negotiation late down the road when you won't or can't make the same exception again.

I would simply tell mom that he cannot return until he has gone a full 24 hours without having any diarrhea. If he has diarrhea a second time while in your care, I would send him home and not allow him to return for 48 hours the next time.
AmyKidsCo 12:12 PM 06-04-2013
My policies are 24 hours after the LAST bout of diarrhea (or vomiting) without the use of medications. I'm pretty firm about enforcing it because I'd rather risk POing a parent than having to clean a mess off my carpets!
Reply Up