Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Program/Operations Policies
JessyM 04:30 PM 08-30-2016
Does anyone have a sample of a program/ operations policy to share? It was easy to find parent handbook samples. I am in the State of Washington. Thanks for your help
Michael 10:23 PM 08-30-2016
Welcome to the forum!
Blackcat31 06:39 AM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by JessyM:
Does anyone have a sample of a program/ operations policy to share? It was easy to find parent handbook samples. I am in the State of Washington. Thanks for your help
I am confused as to what you mean by program operations?

I understand parent handbooks but am not understanding what info would be included in program/operations policies.
I am thinking maybe policies that have to do with power outages, weather related issues, etc?

I don't know...

I'm having trouble connecting the dots but in my defense I've only had one cup of coffee.....but anyways, I include all of that type of information in my parent handbook.

Can you clarify what you are looking for and I have no doubt someone will happily have a reply for you!

Welcome to the forum!
JessyM 04:31 PM 08-31-2016
@Blackcat31 Thanks for your comment! For the licensing, I need to have a program/operations policies. It means the following

In addition to parent policies and procedures required under WAC 170-296A-2375, the licensee must have written program/operations policies that include:
(1) Plans to keep required program/staff records current;
(2) Child supervision requirements;
(3) Mandatory reporting requirement of suspected child abuse and neglect and other incidents under WAC 170-296A-2300;
(4) Plan for off-site field trips;
(5) Plan for transporting children;
(6) Plans for preventing children's access to unlicensed space;
(7) Medical emergency, fire, disaster and evacuation responsibilities;
(8) Guidance and discipline responsibilities;
(9) Overnight care, if applicable; and
(10) Plan for staff (when applicable) to include:
(a) Staff responsibilities;
(b) Staff training;
(c) Staff expectations; and
(d) Professional development.
nannyde 05:43 PM 08-31-2016
I don't think too many businesses are going to hand over their hard earned operational policies for free. If you need to be taught how to do this for licensing maybe consider hiring a consultant to guide you through the process.
LysesKids 06:17 PM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't think too many businesses are going to hand over their hard earned operational policies for free. If you need to be taught how to do this for licensing maybe consider hiring a consultant to guide you through the process.
I thought OP was asking more for a facility than a home that's why I stayed out... some states require homes to do similar on certain things, but the STAFF part is what made me say CENTER.

If someone tries to open a center without experience or Knowledge, I say doomed within a year; and yes I have seen it happen with 2 centers within a mile of where I use to work my childcare home in AR... the Directors/Owners had no clue what was actually needed & both shutdown 6-12 months after opening; one even tried to copy my policies online & had the nerve to send "staff" without kids to an interview at my home... (didn't happen because I require the babies be present if mom hasn't had the baby yet)

How is a trying to copy a home childcare of 5 infants going to help a center of 50-100 kids?
JessyM 11:17 PM 08-31-2016
Thanks all for your answers.

In the State of Washington, you need a program policy for a home childcare and even in a home daycare, you may have staff (it's not my case, but a husband/daughter helping in your daycare is considered as a staff for a licensor).

I do not need a consultant for now (but who knows I might need one someday).

I already wrote my operational policies and parent handbook and wanted to make sure, I did not miss something. I did that with the parent handbook, which is easy to find.

Anyway, it might be better to ask the child care ressources, they may have some good ressources! Does anyone have already used their services?
Blackcat31 06:01 AM 09-01-2016
Originally Posted by JessyM:
Thanks all for your answers.

In the State of Washington, you need a program policy for a home childcare and even in a home daycare, you may have staff (it's not my case, but a husband/daughter helping in your daycare is considered as a staff for a licensor).

I do not need a consultant for now (but who knows I might need one someday).

I already wrote my operational policies and parent handbook and wanted to make sure, I did not miss something. I did that with the parent handbook, which is easy to find.

Anyway, it might be better to ask the child care ressources, they may have some good ressources! Does anyone have already used their services?
The local child care resources agencies in each area are a fantastic source of info for providers, especially because each area is so specific as to the requirements each provider must have.

Most of what you listed as things you are required to have are similar to what my state requires but it's not something we have to have in any type of official format or or in any type of manual. We just need to have a "plan" or "written directions" on how we are going to manage each aspect/subject listed in the requirements.

I would definitely start with Child Care Aware! (new name for what used to be Child Care Resources)

Here is the link to Washington state's Child Care Aware

http://wa.childcareaware.org/
onebzmom 05:05 PM 09-01-2016
Hi I am in WA state also! I just spent the last 2 weeks updating all my policy's. I just went item by item and took each thing from my handbook and popped it in here! My parent handbook is 43 pages! I covered EVERYTHING! Where in WA are you?
JessyM 11:22 AM 09-02-2016
Originally Posted by onebzmom:
Hi I am in WA state also! I just spent the last 2 weeks updating all my policy's. I just went item by item and took each thing from my handbook and popped it in here! My parent handbook is 43 pages! I covered EVERYTHING! Where in WA are you?
Wow mine is only 25 pages and I thought I covered everything !!!!I'm in Bellevue.
Tags:licensing, operations policy, program policy, washington state
Reply Up