Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CIO 6 months
lil angels 07:40 AM 09-18-2012
So how do you " sleep train" a baby. He sleeps ok but he has to be put to sleep while being rocked or in a swing ect. Then when he falls asleep I put him in his bed. I am not allowed to let him sleep anywhere else. Mom gets that and we would like to be able to just put him to bed But he cries and cries. I stated by putting him in there. Of course crying because he is tired then I keep going in every few minutes to rub his back I don't pick him up and then leave I don't know if I am doing this right.

I need some advice. But he should be old enough to just lay in bed and leave I think what are you thoughts.
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 09-18-2012
I've been pretty lucky so far (With the exception of one baby) but mostof mine seem to sleep rather well once I get a regular routine down with them.

The one I have now is 6 months old and what I do is change the diaper, feed a bottle, burp and then lay the baby down in the crib. I have a little white noise machine I turn on, then tell baby sleep tight and walk away.

Sometimes I hear the baby fuss a bit but never full on crying.

In a few minutes the baby is alseep. The crib I use is also right in the play room so the baby sleeps on and off all day as needed while the others play nearby.

Mom said she started vacuuming while the baby was sleeping while the baby was really young so they became acclimated to noise....

I don't really know what to do with a baby that cries so much or so long. I guess I would just keep doing what you are doing until the baby learns to put themselves to sleep. I suppose they don't know how until they HAVE to do it....kwim?

That is tough to have to listen to though....hang in there Hoping it gets better soon!
lil angels 08:03 AM 09-18-2012
Update I am so excited!! he is asleep all on his own I did what I said above and it took almost twenty minutes he is alsleep. He did roll on to his tummy though.

It's ok to let them sleep on their tummy if they do tithe selfs right?
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 09-18-2012
Originally Posted by lil angels:
Update I am so excited!! he is asleep all on his own I did what I said above and it took almost twenty minutes he is alsleep. He did roll on to his tummy though.

Yep, once they can roll over on their own, you can't do much about it. Just keep checking on him though

YAH!!!

That is great that he is asleep. I bet the next time it will take even less time than it did now.
lil angels 08:11 AM 09-18-2012
Yep I am so excited I have another baby only 8 weeks starting soon so I thought I had better figure this out or I am in trouble. So now hopefully it should only get better from here. I am so glad I tried it and it worked, mom will be to I hope.
AnneCordelia 08:21 AM 09-18-2012
20 minutes is awesome for a first time!! Keep it up and he'll be napping great for you in no time!
rhymia1 08:49 AM 09-18-2012

I am so glad!

I have always been anti-CIO, but I had two brothers who would get so mad if they saw me come in the room. I would try to rub backs, heads, etc. But they would work themselves up more when they saw me, no matter what. I finally realized that if I left for 5-10 minutes, they fell asleep faster and stayed asleep longer then when I was trying to comfort. Go figure
MyAngels 09:37 AM 09-18-2012
It's okay as long as they can roll both ways - front to back and back to front .
cheerfuldom 09:40 AM 09-18-2012
Originally Posted by rhymia1:
I am so glad!

I have always been anti-CIO, but I had two brothers who would get so mad if they saw me come in the room. I would try to rub backs, heads, etc. But they would work themselves up more when they saw me, no matter what. I finally realized that if I left for 5-10 minutes, they fell asleep faster and stayed asleep longer then when I was trying to comfort. Go figure
I think most kids are like that. Besides, I wouldnt consider 5 or 10 minutes CIO....I call it fuss-it-out. Just giving them the time they need to wind down. Some kids just cry, its not the end of the world. And it is what they do to tune out the world and settle themselves. I would rather have 5 minutes of crying than 2 hours of coming and going and them not sleeping.
lil angels 09:41 AM 09-18-2012
Well now he slept for a half hr whitch is normall I only let them get a catnap in the morning so they are ready for a good long nap in the afternoon. Curious to see how it goes.
lil angels 10:50 AM 09-18-2012
It only took about 15 min this time. Yay we may have it that wasn't so bad. Now hopefully he stays asleep. Thanks everyone for your replies.
Reply Up