Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need To Resolve Today ASAP!
countrymom 06:17 AM 12-12-2012
I'm still in shock what happened. So my driveway is 4 cars long and 2.5 cars wide. Lots of parking. Well, 2 of the parents park behind each other and they pull all the way in (their kids use my house as a bus stop and I take them off the bus at night) the other one, well she likes to park over my sidewalk and not pull up at all, she drops her one child off (every other day) and then sits in the car waiting for the bus.

the first 2 families (their kids go to another school) had a sub. bus driver so it was late. So they were still in the drive way, when another parent came. When this parent came, she had no room to pull into my drive way because the mom who parks over my side walk REFUSED TO PULL HER VEHICLE UP. so the mom that just pulled in was hanging on the road and touching the others bumper. (she drops and runs, less then 3 min. here anyways)

the mom that parks over the sidewalk sat in her vehicle while all the parents stared at her and she refused to move her car (pull it up) the other 2 parents couldn't even get out of my driveway, so the mom who's car was hanging on the road was directing them out.

I'm so shocked at how inconsiderate this mom was that I need to do something. This was all witnessed by my 3 kids, and the other 2 daycare parents (one who called me right away and will speak her mind on friday to the mom lol) Dh said I should have went outside and told her to move and if she doesn't like it that she can park next door on the road.

I need a way to go about this, should I post a note or what. Help me think of something. Oh the dh of this lady (the one who parks over the sidewalk) does the same thing, I've had grandparents in pickups complain because he refuses to move.
melilley 06:23 AM 12-12-2012
In MI it's illegal to park on the sidewalk...if it is where you live too, you could just tell the mom that or just tell her straight out that it's not safe for her to park there and other parents need to get in and out. You could even put it in your handbook about parking in the driveway only, or like you said next door in the street., I've seen that people have a section of parking in their handbooks. I can't believe that mom wouldn't move!
EchoMom 06:34 AM 12-12-2012
I think that's so insanely rude rude rude I would very seriously consider terming her. I mean, that's just absolutely uncalled for and I wouldn't stand for it! And if she's THAT rude about her car, I would guess she's probably rude in other ways???
countrymom 07:07 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
I think that's so insanely rude rude rude I would very seriously consider terming her. I mean, that's just absolutely uncalled for and I wouldn't stand for it! And if she's THAT rude about her car, I would guess she's probably rude in other ways???
yup, you hit the nail on the head. And its illigal here too to park across the side walk.
wdmmom 07:24 AM 12-12-2012
In Iowa it's illegal to block the sidewalk as well. I also have a section in my handbook about how to use my driveway. I know it's stupid why I would have to spell it out but you'd be surprised.

I would notify all parents with a newsletter of changes beginning 2013.

Dear Parent: Beginning January 2, 2013 the following changes are being implemented. The driveway must be used in a manner for picking up and dropping off. Please be courteous of other patrons of the daycare by not blocking their car. Please be sure to pull in far enough so that the sidewalk isnt blocked as well. My driveway can no longer be used as a wait station. If you are finishing a call or waiting for the bus, please finish your business by parking on the street. Thank you.
Blackcat31 07:28 AM 12-12-2012
Dear DCP

Due to some recent issues with parking in my driveway, ALL families who are here to drop off/pick up children from daycare can park in the driveway but please do so in a timely manner so that others may also use the drive to drop off/pick up their children from daycare.

If you are parking and waiting for the school bus to pick up or drop off, you will no longer be allowed to park in the driveway but must use the street.

If at any time you will need to park longer than 5 minutes, please do not use the driveway at all.

Thank you for you consideration in this manner.

Daycare Provider

JenNJ 08:24 AM 12-12-2012
Tell that mom that she may no longer use your driveway. Simple.
daycare 08:28 AM 12-12-2012
go find some construction cones and put them in that area so that she can no longer park there. I would also send out the letter that BC wrote.

Is it possible to spread out the drop off times?

I have a small driveway and small street. I have my parents booked to where they will arrive about every 10-15 minutes apart so that they are not all here dropping off and picking up at the same time.

I also have it in my PHB about parking issues.
makap 08:29 AM 12-12-2012
I can not believe how someone could be so incredibly rude!!

Does this family give you any other problems? If so I would seriously consider terming or giving a very stern warning. There is no reason to be so nasty!

I love Blackcat31's letter!
countrymom 08:56 AM 12-12-2012
I live on a busy street so you can't park on the street. I like the letters. The problem is that she sits in her car for almost 15min waiting for the bus. I want to park my big van at then of the driveway. I just am so floored that she wouldn't move up.
JenNJ 09:07 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I live on a busy street so you can't park on the street. I like the letters. The problem is that she sits in her car for almost 15min waiting for the bus. I want to park my big van at then of the driveway. I just am so floored that she wouldn't move up.
Then she needs to park elsewhere and walk to your house. You are making her problem your problem. It is generous of you to allow her to use the driveway. She is not respecting your property or your clients. She is the problem. She needs to find a new place to park now since she is causing problems with your clients at your home.
lil angels 09:13 AM 12-12-2012
I have had many driveway prob also I now do to allow anyone to park in my driveway they park in the street. Solved!
lovemykidstoo 09:33 AM 12-12-2012
So she drops one child off to you and waits in the car with another child catching the bus? Do you get any other kids on the bus? Maybe tell her that you will take that child and get him/her off to the bus so she doesn't have to wait. Or she could park all the way up in the driveway and walk the 20 feet and stand there and wait for the bus with her child. I would tell her that she absolutely cannot block the driveway. How old is this child?
countrymom 09:49 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
So she drops one child off to you and waits in the car with another child catching the bus? Do you get any other kids on the bus? Maybe tell her that you will take that child and get him/her off to the bus so she doesn't have to wait. Or she could park all the way up in the driveway and walk the 20 feet and stand there and wait for the bus with her child. I would tell her that she absolutely cannot block the driveway. How old is this child?
my kids take the bus with her's. He won't get out of the car because she babies him. He's 7.5 yrs old. She's the type that is anal. My dd (she's 12) refuses to talk to her so she called me and asked why my dd doesn't want to talk to her, umm really because when I stand outside she doesn't want to talk to me either. I think I'm going to hand a letter to them (not my other families because it doesn't effect any of them) I shouldn't have to, because its called common courtesy. What do you guys think

Dear Parents (I want it to sound like I'm addressing them all)
Please pull your vehicles all the way up when dropping or picking up your child. Its a common courtasy to all the other parents who use the driveway. Please do not block the sidewalk either as its illigal. If you can't pull your vehicle up, you are more than welcome to park at the variety store or next door on the gravel road and walk your child over.
lovemykidstoo 09:56 AM 12-12-2012
OMG 7.5 yrs old and that kid can't wait for the bus? I don't think I would do the letter, I would just flat out tell her that you had complaints and you need to fix the problem. If she's that ignorant, I would have no problem telling her. Chances are if you give her a letter, she's going to ignore it and think it doesn't pertain to her.
countrymom 10:16 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
OMG 7.5 yrs old and that kid can't wait for the bus? I don't think I would do the letter, I would just flat out tell her that you had complaints and you need to fix the problem. If she's that ignorant, I would have no problem telling her. Chances are if you give her a letter, she's going to ignore it and think it doesn't pertain to her.
thats what dh thinks too, she'll never see that she was the one that caused the chaos this morning. I think I need my grannies tommorrow when I go and confront her.
Scout 10:41 AM 12-12-2012
Dear DCM,
Due to the events that took place today during dropoff, I am sorry to inform you that you will no longer be welcome to park in my driveway while waiting for the school bus. You may park in the street if you like. If you wish to terminate care please be aware that all policies as stated in the contract still apply. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Sincerely,
DCP

edited to add that I did not read all posts so I didn't know you couldn't have her park in the street.
lovemykidstoo 10:46 AM 12-12-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
thats what dh thinks too, she'll never see that she was the one that caused the chaos this morning. I think I need my grannies tommorrow when I go and confront her.
You can do it! Put your grannies on LOL!!! The thing about notes is if you hand it to her, she may stand there and read it. So, then you're going to have to deal with it right then and there anyway. You need to tell her before that other mom confronts her on Friday. That could get ugly. Well, maybe it might be fun to watch that fight LOL!
familyschoolcare 04:40 PM 12-12-2012
I would remind of my neighborhood policy it says it is important that my neighbors remain happy and supportive of my daycare.
kendallina 04:59 PM 12-12-2012
I would just tell her that she needs to pull up every time she comes in the drive or park on the street. I don't really see a need for a letter, it leaves too much room for misinterpretation and then you won't be able to gauge her reaction/make sure that she understood or answer any questions that she has right away. It's okay to speak up! This is your business.
Reply Up