Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OMG! Her Leg is Broken :-(
CrackerJacks 04:00 PM 05-01-2013
I feel soo sick to my stomach right now. A little 2yo girl I care for fell 10in off if a bottom step in my backyard and broke her lower leg in 3 places...she landed right in her leg (leg broke the fall). In 6yrs I've never had a child get hurt none the less break a bone.. I'm at a total loss for words. I'm soo upset! Any words of advice? :-(
sharlan 04:07 PM 05-01-2013
Oh, no. Have you notified your licensing agency yet?
Sugar Magnolia 04:11 PM 05-01-2013
sorry to hear that. Poor thing. Hope she is ok. Try to relax and please do advise licensing when you feel calm and clear. Best wishes Cracker jack.
SilverSabre25 04:13 PM 05-01-2013
Oh no, poor baby! And you, too, you must feel awful! I hope the parents and licensing understand that it was an accident
LK5kids 04:25 PM 05-01-2013
Please know these "freak" things can happen to any of us along with it easily happening at a child's own home. I am sure it is difficult to go through this. You are in our thoughts!
daycarediva 04:28 PM 05-01-2013
Oh no! I would contact licensing and be sending her a get well card.
mom2many 04:42 PM 05-01-2013
That is horrible. I can only imagine how awful you must feel.

I have no experience with anything like this, but would definitely call licensing to let them know.
KDC 04:44 PM 05-01-2013
First of all...Sending you hugs...

My own son was 9 months old, and just learned to crawl. We have a yellow labrador that wouldn't hurt a fly. He was a puppy then and came in from outside with his puppy jumps and scared my son. He tried to turn to crawl away, and the twisting motion hairline fractured his femur . He barely cried, but didn't put any weight on in. We brought him to Dr. and she moved his leg all around and said without an x-ray she couldn't tell... brought him to ER and sure enough we found it was fractured. They made me feel so negligent, asked what happened three times, and said my story was consistent with the break.

It was AWFUL. I was right there, and my DH was sleeping in that morning. I cried and cried. But, it was an accident, and they do happen. Don't beat yourself up too much. I doesn't do any good
Brooksie 04:53 PM 05-01-2013
Sounds like a complete accident. But so sorry that it happened! I would definitely call licensing first and foremost and maybe have all the kids draw up a nice get well soon card and mail it to them. I'd also personally send the little girl flowers or a new teddy bear. That's gotta be tough for everyone involved.
Crystal 05:25 PM 05-01-2013
First, I am sorry this happened. I know you are concerned about the child and about licensing. She will be okay. You will be okay.

You need to fill out this form:

http://www.cdss.ca.gov/cdssweb/entre...sh/LIC624B.PDF

And fax it to your licensing agency. If you cannot fax it, you MUST call tomorrow morning and report the incident.

I want you to calm down and take a look around. Do not alter anything where she fell. But do get everything else in order. Go through your files and make sure everything is current. Check all of your safety measures and make sure everything is in place. Etc.

You will be getting a visit within the next few days, so be prepared for it. Do not fail to report it yourself because the Doctor will report it and if you haven't, that will land you in trouble.

You will not get in trouble for the actual accident unless there is provable neglect, but we all KNOW that accidents happen right before our eyes, so do the licensors.

Again, calm down, relax and be proactive.

Good luck.
rmc20021 06:33 PM 05-01-2013
So sorry to hear this. An injury is my BIGGEST fear caring for other people's children. The worst thing that has ever happened to me was when I had a balance beam in my yard and a boy slipped and skinned his shin.

I have a patio that is about 6 inches off the ground also and I try to make the kids stay off it because it's just low enough they will take off walking/running and 'forget' it just drops off and I've been so fearful of that very thing happening to one of my kids.

I'm going to be much more aware now of them being on that patio....
CrackerJacks 06:48 PM 05-01-2013
Thanks guys.. I still feel horrible that this happened on my watch. I know from a realistic perspective that it Was just an accident and accidents Do happen. I spoke with mom, she said its not her leg, but her ankle that is broken (miscommunication between parent who actually took the child to Dr). I called licensing to report the incident and I will mail in the form tomorrow. I went through all paperwork and everything is current and up to date. Mom said Dr said she can return back to daycare whenever she wants. Now that the ankle is immobilized its okay. I'm the type of person who hates the unknown and just not knowing exactly how mom feels about the whole situation is probably what's stressing me the most. Thanks for everyone's support, it's really meant alot.
Crystal 06:55 PM 05-01-2013
Originally Posted by CrackerJacks:
Thanks guys.. I still feel horrible that this happened on my watch. I know from a realistic perspective that it Was just an accident and accidents Do happen. I spoke with mom, she said its not her leg, but her ankle that is broken (miscommunication between parent who actually took the child to Dr). I called licensing to report the incident and I will mail in the form tomorrow. I went through all paperwork and everything is current and up to date. Mom said Dr said she can return back to daycare whenever she wants. Now that the ankle is immobilized its okay. I'm the type of person who hates the unknown and just not knowing exactly how mom feels about the whole situation is probably what's stressing me the most. Thanks for everyone's support, it's really meant alot.
Ya know what? They are communicating with you......that is a good sign. So stop worryiong about that.

One last thing I think you should do is come up with a Plan of Action on how you plan to prevent this from happening again. Licensing will likely be asking you that. Think about it, write it down and start teaching it to your children tomorrow:

I don't know the exact circumstances, but considering she fell off the step, I am assuming you were coming from inside to outside, or vice versa. If that is the case, then the plan of action would include how you exit and enter the house to play outside/go back in in a way that would prevent falling. Such as.....you will have the children line up and wait for you to lead them out, you step down first and then turn and help the littlest ones down.

Keep us posted.
CrackerJacks 07:43 PM 05-01-2013
We were in the backyard. The steps that I have leading to the inside have a gate on the 2nd step, because there is no post on the first step to allow for a gate to be installed. This has always been the set up since the day i was licensed 6 years ago (ive had 4 visits in the last years from licensing and never has this been an issue) So there is 1 step the kids can stand on, though they all know they are Not allowed to stand on it, but they are kids and do it anyway. I saw her climb onto the step, told her to get down as I was walking over to get her down, she started to step down, lost her balance and fell on her side. Which she obviously twisted her ankle as she landed. Scary.

I have a pic on my phone, just don't know how to put it in the message
Crystal 08:10 PM 05-01-2013
We were in the backyard. The steps that I have leading to the inside have a gate on the 2nd step, because there is no post on the first step to allow for a gate to be installed. This has always been the set up since the day i was licensed 6 years ago (ive had 4 visits in the last years from licensing and never has this been an issue) So there is 1 step the kids can stand on, though they all know they are Not allowed to stand on it, but they are kids and do it anyway. I saw her climb onto the step, told her to get down as I was walking over to get her down, she started to step down, lost her balance and fell on her side. Which she obviously twisted her ankle as she landed. Scary.

I have a pic on my phone, just don't know how to put it in the message
Is there any way that you can put a post there and move the gate? I understand it wasn't a concern with licensing before, but it will be now. If you can, place a post at the bottom step and move the gate. This will show that you have learned from the experience and you are willing to make changes based on your learning.

If the space is available to do this (there is a spot to place the posts on each side of the step), you can do it yourself for very minimal cost.
CrackerJacks 09:10 PM 05-01-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Is there any way that you can put a post there and move the gate? I understand it wasn't a concern with licensing before, but it will be now. If you can, place a post at the bottom step and move the gate. This will show that you have learned from the experience and you are willing to make changes based on your learning.

If the space is available to do this (there is a spot to place the posts on each side of the step), you can do it yourself for very minimal cost.
This is exactly what I plan on doing! Should I wait for licensing to come out first? Or would it be okay to do it this weekend? What do you think?
Crystal 07:08 AM 05-02-2013
I would photograph the area where she fell and THEN make the changes. I wouldn't wait.
Jewels 07:26 AM 05-02-2013
I had a little boy break his leg at the park going down a slide, of course called and filled out forms for licensing, and parents filled something out as well, all went fine, they never even came out to my house, but everything was pretty cut and dry it happened in a public place, parents were not upset, I mean they felt bad for their little guy and I felt awful he broke his leg, it was horrible to have that happen on my watch, but you can not prevent everything! I had another girl fall off the monkey bars (6yrs old) and had a slim slim fracture in her wrist, she didn't even need a cast, but the parents were actually here when that happened, again filled out forms with licensing and they never even came out everything again was good, kids get hurt the only way to prevent this stuff from happenening, is by not letting the kids be kids and play and explore. I also called my insurance and filed a claim for the broken leg, the parents got $1000 check, and their insurance covered the broken leg so that was just some extra cash to help them out, the little boy was 18 months and in a full leg cast for 6 weeks, it was challenging at first but after a week he learned to get all over the place with out much help.

countrymom 08:02 AM 05-02-2013
accidents happen. Hugs to you.
LaLa1923 02:46 PM 05-02-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I would photograph the area where she fell and THEN make the changes. I wouldn't wait.

Crystal 02:57 PM 05-02-2013
How are you today CrackerJacks? Hope you are holding up well.
youretooloud 03:52 PM 05-02-2013
Aww..I'm so sorry! For both of you!

Stuff happens. To all of us. My own child stepped down from a small step to a carpeted surface and broke her leg at that same age. They called it a toddler break, because their legs turn, but their feet don't.

I had a daycare girl coming home from school one day, and while she was talking, she stepped off the curb without realizing the ground was different heights (it was maaaybe three inches) and broke two bones in her leg. I wasn't there, but the crossing guard said it was the most innocent move, and her leg broke.

You will both be good as new in a few weeks. I feel like you both need a get well card/gift.
CrackerJacks 07:16 PM 05-02-2013
Thanks guys. I'm feeling much better today after talking with mom. She understands it was an accident and could have happened on her watch as well. I just wanted to make sure that she still felt confident that I can provide safe, loving and quality care for her daughter. She said she does, she will actually be coming back on her next regularly scheduled day. So I'm starting to feel a bit less anxious. But I still think about it and think of what I can do to help prevent anyone from getting hurt again. Thanks all for your support. Now, I just wait for licensing to possibly show up. I'll let you all know if /when they do.
AmyKidsCo 08:05 AM 05-03-2013
Oh no! Take a deep breath and don't blame yourself - accidents happen all the time. My mom had one of her Third Graders walk into a wall and end up with a concussion - these things happen.

Definitely report it and document everything, for future reference. You think you're going to remember things but you don't.
kimmills 08:07 AM 05-06-2013
OMG, that's horrible. Accidents do happen and please don't blame yourself for it.

Also make sure that such incidents do not happen again.
CrackerJacks 09:51 PM 05-28-2013
Just wanted to update that licensing made a visit today in regards to the fall and subsequent broken ankle and everything went super smoothly. My analyst showed up, asked what happened, viewed the area that the accident took place and wrote her report. Took all of 1/2hr. Phew..feel soo glad this incident is now in the past. And good news..the dcg gets her cast off tomorrow! Although a stressful experience it was also a good learning experience
youretooloud 10:26 PM 05-28-2013
Just wanted to update that licensing made a visit today in regards to the fall and subsequent broken ankle and everything went super smoothly. My analyst showed up, asked what happened, viewed the area that the accident took place and wrote her report. Took all of 1/2hr. Phew..feel soo glad this incident is now in the past. And good news..the dcg gets her cast off tomorrow! Although a stressful experience it was also a good learning experience

Aww.. I'm glad. Poor you and her.

She probably won't walk on it for a while, it's scary, and feels weird, so don't panic if she refuses to use it for a couple of days.
MamaBearCanada 04:27 AM 05-29-2013
Glad all is right & that Mom was a reasonable DCP Accidents happen!
Tags:broken bone, broken bones, injury
Reply Up