Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Charging to Hold a Spot
Is it bedtime yet? 09:21 AM 03-08-2014
What do you charge to hold a spot for an expectant mother? I have been open for about 5 years and as a rule have never done it before. However, this is for a mom that I watched her daughter from baby to Kindergarten. They moved many times, but always kept the DCG here. They just bought a home in the neighborhood behind us, so it is likely that they will stay with me long term. That it why I am braking my own rule to hold a spot. The baby is due right when school lets out and the dad is a teacher, so he will keep the baby until school starts, so they won't need care until August. I am ok for now, but by summer will need some income coming in the hold the spot. I have even thought about seeing if they want the older girl to come(she and my DD are great friends) and count that toward holding the spot(I just need some $ coming in this summer). Thoughts?
KidGrind 10:29 AM 03-09-2014
Infants spots are HARD to come by in my area. I would charge half my rate to hold the spot for two weeks to a month. I would charge my full rate anything over a month.
spinnymarie 12:56 PM 03-09-2014
We are going to be holding a spot for a mother, and we will be charging her our regular full-time infant rate.
Leigh 01:09 PM 03-09-2014
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
We are going to be holding a spot for a mother, and we will be charging her our regular full-time infant rate.
I charge full-time rate, as well. They're using the spot while I am holding it, so they pay for it.
TaylorTots 01:36 PM 03-09-2014
From my contract:

HOLDING AN INFANT SIBLING SPOT I don't hold infant spots unless they are a sibling to begin with

If a position is or will be available, you have the option of paying a fee to hold this position for you. If you wish to hold a position, you will need to pay a non-refundable fee equal to one week’s rate to hold the position. The infant sibling position can be held for up to 8 weeks by paying this fee. After those 8 weeks, regardless of the infant's enrollment, regular childcare weekly fees will be due to continue to hold/keep the spot. Otherwise any care will be offered on an availability only basis, at the provider's discretion.
MCC 05:26 PM 03-09-2014
I also charge full rate for anything past 2 weeks. There is a HUGE demand for infant care in my area. I have been open 2 years, and I have had 4 families hold a spot for over 3 months at the full rate.
Crazy8 05:48 PM 03-09-2014
I never know what to do about this. I have sometimes charged fees in the past to hold a spot for more than 2 weeks, but it was always just a flat rate, non-refundable fee usually equal to a week or so of care. Normally I just don't hold the spot, but I have more and more people wanting the next infant spots that are months away so I really would like to come up with a better way.
Is it bedtime yet? 08:22 PM 03-10-2014
Thanks for the input ladies. I am fine not charging until summer, but I will be losing all of my teacher kids by then and need some $ coming in. I am thinking I will do 1/2 of my weekly rate each week to hold the spot.
Reply Up