Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Did I Do The Right Thing?
finsup 09:20 AM 01-16-2015
So the whole dc has been sick for about 2 weeks with a cold. Nothing major. Littlest DCB who is part time has been having fevers on and off since then. He stayed home one day, was out a anyways the next and came today. I checked in with DCF yesterday about him and he was better, no temp for 24 hours (my sick policy is pretty standard, anything above 100.4 stay home. Can return when fever has been gone for 24 hours) so I said OK, good to come. Well, I take his temp at 10 and it was 101. Get a hold of mom, she sends dad out to get him. Dad comes, says the Dr doesn't need to see him and he's "fine" to stay? That doesn't make sense. Another DCF took their son to the same Dr yesterday for the same symptoms and turns on he had an ear infection. I'm guessing that's going on with this little guy too. Anyways, would you have sent home too? He was acting fine, just had the temp. But I guess the Dr comment has me second guessing myself.
Play Care 09:28 AM 01-16-2015
No, the doctor doesn't get to decide who stays at dc, lol.

"DCM, regardless, my policy is x, so child will need to be picked up within the hour. "

This is a fairly standard day care policy so chances are good that anywhere they go it would be the same thing. I can't think of any well child care that takes kids with fevers of 101.
finsup 09:39 AM 01-16-2015
That's what I was thinking! Before this I had worked in both public schools and center based care. We Would have never kept anyone if they had a fever of 101. He's only 8 months, I don't know why the Dr didn't want to see him. Its been going on for a while now :/
cara041083 09:39 AM 01-16-2015
I would say that its up to the family if they want to take him to the doctor. I myself have 4 kids and no I don't take them to the doctor unless depending on symptoms and how high the fever is and how long it has been present. Now Daycare is a different story. If a fever is above 100.0 They stay home regardless of whats going on and it has to be gone for 24 hours without meds. I don't care what the parents says it is. Stick to your policy. Its your business and your rules.
Blackcat31 09:44 AM 01-16-2015
Dad said Dr said.....

How do YOU know what the Dr said?

He has a fever. He goes home.

I also agree 100% with what Play Care said.
daycarediva 09:46 AM 01-16-2015
I think they lied about the fever yesterday. It's unusual to have a fever one day, then no fever one day, then fever the next day. Does he get dropped off early? Sounds like they medicated him and it wore off. The fact that dad argued about your policy is ridiculous. He needs to be HOME.
TheGoodLife 09:47 AM 01-16-2015
Fever= home. I don't tell parents if/when to go to the doctor, but they must follow my illness policy
finsup 09:57 AM 01-16-2015
I was wondering about dose and drop too...of course they said he was fine this morning. Mom is worried and wants to take him to the er...dad says it can wait until his next well child check next week. Either way he's home and doesn't come back until Wednesday anyways so dad may be annoyed but oh well...thank you guys for reassuring me! I don't know why I let it bother me, esp when the whole thing seems very dishonest. Esp knowing that the same Dr saw another dck with the same symptoms yesterday...
daycare 10:01 AM 01-16-2015
always exclude for the symptoms, not the reason.

I hate having to feel like the bad guy to one family, sending them home sick. But I am a hero to the rest.

just remember that....
Annalee 10:03 AM 01-16-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
always exclude for the symptoms, not the reason.

I hate having to feel like the bad guy to one family, sending them home sick. But I am a hero to the rest.

just remember that....

NightOwl 10:18 AM 01-16-2015
Dcd is fibbing. A doctor cannot say a child is fine to stay at daycare with a fever if he hasn't assessed him to determine the reason for the fever.

Ugh. People who do this make me so angry. They are only concerned about keeping their own schedules and don't care that they are possibly making small children ill in order to accomplish that. AND the parents of the children who catch the bug will have to miss work and pay doctor's copays also. Because one douche didn't put his kid first.

Sorry.... this is a pet peeve of mine.
Reply Up