Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Give Parents Credit For Funeral?
WImom 09:56 AM 02-02-2011
A DC parent had a parent pass away yesterday and I know the parent had lived a few hours from me so I'm thinking ahead that they will have the kids out of childcare for a day atleast. If they ask me for a credit I'm debating on giving them one?

My policy is that you pay for the spot unless I close but I wasn't sure on this one instance. (They haven't asked and I haven't offered yet , nor do I know if the kids will be going with or not, just trying to have choice made up incase they do ask).

What would you do?
Little People 10:00 AM 02-02-2011
That is a hard one...humm, I just wonder if it was you as their provider and you had a funeral and had to close, would they still pay you?
jenh171 10:03 AM 02-02-2011
lost a parent? I would absolutely not charge them for the day.
Blackcat31 10:04 AM 02-02-2011
If the family were a good family and always respects your policies and things like that, I would have no problem doing a credit in situations like that. It is unfortunate that they lost their parent.

If the family is a trouble-some one and you have had to vent about them more than you appreciate them...I wouldn't feel bad saying "Sorry, but regardless of personal issues, business is business." or something similar.

I guess I would follow the go with what you feel is right for this family. If the situation were reversed, how would you be treated by them?

I know that we are running a business but it is difficult to always keep feelings and emotions out of it so I think only you know what is right in this situation with this family. I have had different families get different breaks all because of each individual relationship I have with them. It is hard to have "one-size fits all" rules. Go with your feelings....
Sunny Day 10:11 AM 02-02-2011
I also agree that if they were a good family that follows policies, respects and appreciates you, I wouldn't charge them at all for the day. I have had this come up and I didn't charge them, it sucks losing income, but for me it felt like the right thing to do.
DBug 10:13 AM 02-02-2011
I've given families breaks on paying -- in both cases, babies decided to be born on their contracted days, so the dckids weren't here. When I wrote out their bill, I wrote down the day with my billing code (so they knew I would normally have charged for it), but wrote "waived" instead of the cost for that day. And then I made sure to point it out that normally it would be full rate, but as my way of saying congratulations, I waived the charge for that day.

If you enjoy this family, maybe you could do something similar -- just make it VERY obvious that you're making an exception for them in this situation, and that it's not something you do for any old reason.
cillybean83 10:16 AM 02-02-2011
i would credit them for the day of the funeral, the day before, and the day after, and I would send flowers, because I would want someone to do it for me.
jenh171 10:21 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
i would credit them for the day of the funeral, the day before, and the day after, and I would send flowers, because I would want someone to do it for me.
I want to "like" this, but I just remembered I'm not on facebook!
sahm1225 10:26 AM 02-02-2011
I agree with cillybean83.

I had a DCM lose her dad out of the country unexpectedly, she called me at 5am crying to tell me that she was trying to book an airline ticket to go back home and if I could please take her little one in early that day.

I couldnt even imagine being in her shoes and having to book a flight out of the country and having to handle the affairs/arrangements.

They are the best family ever. Most of my families came from referrals from them. They say 'thank you' every day and mean it. I did not charge them for the time off.....

AND I don't know if it was karma or what, but I ended up making up the income (from my part time family adding days to a refund check that I had no clue was coming).
misol 11:04 AM 02-02-2011
I would say it depends on your relationship with the family. My parents pay whether they are here or not regardless of the reason so they probably wouldn't even ask. And since that's my policy I wouldn't offer either. I WOULD send flowers though.
JenNJ 11:04 AM 02-02-2011
Honestly, I would not. My income is my income and I don't discount bc of absences - regardless of reason. If an immediate member of my dc family died, I would credit, but not for extended. They are likely still paid from their work and the little daycare bill isn't going to ease their pain or make things better or even bring a smile to their face. All it is going to do is set a precedent that I will not charge for ANY funeral. I would get them a card. My expenses don't drop just because they are not here. The food is already bought, craft supplies here, etc.

I don't close when I have a funeral to attend. I don't expect flowers, extra pay, or even an I'm Sorry when a relative or friend dies. I hire a backup and keep my childcare open for the day so I don't disrupt my clients. Because it is BUSINESS.
WImom 11:36 AM 02-02-2011
Yeah if it was someone in my family and I closed I would not get paid. It's two kids so I think I could only afford one day ($60) if I didn't anything. I'm not thinking they will ask but just incase. I did offer for her to bring them early if she needed to since dad does drop off since she works earlier (since it was his dad maybe only he is going?). I plan to send them a card at the very least.
nannyde 01:01 PM 02-02-2011
This doesn't have anything to do with child care so I wouldn't even consider it.
Tags:days off, funeral
Reply Up