Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Inform Enrolled Parents Of New Dck?
spud912 11:55 AM 02-17-2011
When I first started I had the intention of only taking 2 children in addition to my 2 children (so 4 in total). It turns out that in Arizona we are allowed to take up to 4 children for pay and can have no more than 6 children in total. Basically that means I can take 2 more children if I want to. Now I want to add one more child (so 5 in total) because it would tremendously help us out financially. I have been taking one girl on Sundays to make ends meet but if I have the 3 during the week I could finally have my weekends back.

Anyway, my question is should I inform the enrolled parents that I will be taking in 1 more child. I have no intention of asking if it's "ok," I was just going to say "oh I will be watching an additional child during the week." The reason I ask is I think the current dc parents have the impression I was going to only have the 4 total (as this is how it's been since they started coming here). I never told them I would never take more children in the future, I had told them how many "slots" I had available.

Also, those of you without assistants and 5 children in your care, how has it been? I will only have my infant and all other children will be 2+. I really think that 4 is completely manageable and I think one more would actually help the group.
KEG123 11:57 AM 02-17-2011
I'd probably tell them. I'd say "Tuesday a little boy named Jonny will begin" or something. Do you do newsletters?
daycare 12:03 PM 02-17-2011
I would let them know after you find someone.

I send out a weekly email, mostly filled with friendly reminders for the parents and I would tell them in this email. I bet you no one will have an issue with it. If they ask just tell them that you want your weekends back to spend with your family and this is the way you will be doing it.

If a family leaves over it, let them cuz No one should tell you how to run your business....well other than licensing...lol

good luck
ammama 12:07 PM 02-17-2011
I have 6 children in my care, and I find it easier when I have a full crew than when I only have a couple here. They play more, bicker less.

I don't tell my parents when I have a new child starting, but I have always had 6 children (including my own 2), so there was never an expectation that I would keep my numbers lower.

You could say something along the lines of, "i'm really excited about a new little 2 year old boy (or whatever) who is starting next week. He is going to fit in with Sally, Ethan, Amy and Charlie so well. It will be great to have another child so close to _____'s age. Have a good weekend!" Close door.
spud912 12:12 PM 02-17-2011
Yes, I could add it to my monthly newsletter or email the parents. I had one interested person email me from one of the sites I always have an ad on, and now I'm thinking about putting an ad on Craigslist so I can choose from the best, or not at all.

The person who emailed me has a boy and I have all girls. I know one of the parents I currently have does not like boys as she has made a comment that she loves that it's all girls here. I actually prefer boys myself (they tend to be less dramatic). Unfortunately my husband and I have only made girls so far .
gbcc 02:43 PM 02-17-2011
I just add in a welcome section to my newsletter welcoming child's name and age. Parents have never commented on it and just seem to go with it!
nannyde 02:59 PM 02-17-2011
Not really.

They hear it from the older kids but I don't make it a point to discuss it with them.

We haven't had a newborn here for nearly two years and next month we are BLESSED with a sib of one of my dcb's.

EVERYONE will hear about it cuz all the kids I have can talk. I will have to peel the Mommies off of him.

Point tho... never put yourself in a position where you have to ASK them or get their blessing for your business. Sell your business at the MAX from day one.

I can have four under two and four over two. I can have three newborns at a time if I choose. The "most difficult" case scenario numbers wise is what I sell in my interviews.
momatheart 03:21 PM 02-17-2011
We put it on our daily take home sheet. We put we have a new friend in class or welcome so and so.
misol 06:00 PM 02-17-2011
I don't mention it either. I just wait until their paths cross and when they ask I just say soemthing like oh, that's little Joey. He's 3 years old and started two weeks ago. He seems to be a great fit for our group. I tell them after the fact.

Little People 03:48 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Not really.

They hear it from the older kids but I don't make it a point to discuss it with them.

We haven't had a newborn here for nearly two years and next month we are BLESSED with a sib of one of my dcb's.

EVERYONE will hear about it cuz all the kids I have can talk. I will have to peel the Mommies off of him.

Point tho... never put yourself in a position where you have to ASK them or get their blessing for your business. Sell your business at the MAX from day one.

I can have four under two and four over two. I can have three newborns at a time if I choose. The "most difficult" case scenario numbers wise is what I sell in my interviews.
I agree with you Nannyde! I have never put myself in a position for any parent to try to run my business. I do let the dck's know we will be having a new friend joining us in a few days and i tell the dck's their names and ages. And the dck's do tell parents.
Tags:parent notification
Reply Up