Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snow-Do You Allow Earlier Drop Offs?
Miss Lindsey 09:28 AM 01-10-2011
I live in Missouri and we just got a dumping of snow...with more continuing into tomorrow. Well, I happen to not have anyone today, but got a text from one of my moms asking if she could drop her daughter off at 6:30 instead of 7am which is my opening time. She said it took her an hour and a half to get to work today, and the snow is supposed to be continuing through late morning tomorrow, and she wants to drop her daughter off at 6:30 so she can get to work closer to on time.
My thought is, tell your boss your daycare doesn't open until 7...too bad. But wondering if I'm being insensitive here.
What do you do? Do you ever open early due to weather?
laundrymom 09:31 AM 01-10-2011
charge her your drop on rate for that time if you feel like doing it, if not tell her your not licensed for that time, your sorry.
QualiTcare 09:31 AM 01-10-2011
i would do it. it's not like it's an every day thing - u know the weather is bad. i'd feel bad if i said NO and they got into a wreck on the way to work. it's easy to say, "tell your boss you can't be there on time" when you don't have a boss
mickey2 09:31 AM 01-10-2011
From my experience, once you start making exceptions you will be expected to more often.
Miss Lindsey 09:37 AM 01-10-2011
I think the reason it irritates me is because she knows I'm home, and that I could just wake up earlier, etc. But if she was paying the higher rates at a daycare facility that wasn't open at 7...she'd be forced to tell her boss she can't be in on time. But because it's in my home, she figures why not? I feel like if I make the exception, she'll know she can ask again. I don't know what the group daycares hours typically are, but I feel 7 is pretty fair. I guess I'm just wanting to get the point across that I have set hours, and expect them to be respected. I have kids and a husband that are still sleeping at that time, and the kid screams when mom leaves, so it ends up waking the entire family...maybe charging for the early opening is a good idea.
QualiTcare 09:55 AM 01-10-2011
are your hours like 7am - 6pm and the kids can be there at any time between those times, or are they contracted hours depending on what time she works?

i guess i would take that into consideration too. you said you have set hours, so if she's not a parent that takes advantage of the fact you're open until 6 or whatever time that is - i would consider that.
e.j. 09:56 AM 01-10-2011
Originally Posted by Miss Lindsey:
I have kids and a husband that are still sleeping at that time, and the kid screams when mom leaves, so it ends up waking the entire family...maybe charging for the early opening is a good idea.
If it were me, I'd do it. If I didn't want her to make a habit of it, I'd tell her that ordinarily I don't open early but given the extreme weather, I'd make an exception this one time.

Based on what you said above, though, I can understand why you'd be reluctant to agree to opening earlier. You could tell her that while you wish you could open earlier for her, it really would be a disruption to your family's schedule which isn't fair to them.
lvt77 09:59 AM 01-10-2011
I agree you do it for one you do it for all....you give an inch you take a mile....Its not your fault it snowed......lol
I am so eating my words, as I would probably just charge them for the extra time..
kendallina 10:08 AM 01-10-2011
I would do it. I think it's a courteous thing to do and the parent (hopefully) will appreciate it and remember that you did it. I would charge her, though. No one gets free care here! lol
momma2girls 10:12 AM 01-10-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
From my experience, once you start making exceptions you will be expected to more often.
I have been thru this many, many times as well!!
momma2girls 10:14 AM 01-10-2011
I think the reason it irritates me is because she knows I'm home, and that I could just wake up earlier, etc. But if she was paying the higher rates at a daycare facility that wasn't open at 7...she'd be forced to tell her boss she can't be in on time. But because it's in my home, she figures why not? I feel like if I make the exception, she'll know she can ask again. I don't know what the group daycares hours typically are, but I feel 7 is pretty fair. I guess I'm just wanting to get the point across that I have set hours, and expect them to be respected. I have kids and a husband that are still sleeping at that time, and the kid screams when mom leaves, so it ends up waking the entire family...maybe charging for the early opening is a good idea.
I know the Centers around here, would definately not open any earlier for anyone. If their hrs. are 6:30-5:30 they are not open any earlier or will not stay open longer for them!
JenNJ 10:20 AM 01-10-2011
I allow up to 15 minutes early in the morning when we have bad weather. I do not charge for it. I totaled my car in a storm about 7 years ago, so I do not rush people when the roads are bad.

My snow/ice policy is this:

Drop off:
15 minute early drop off from CONTRACTED time. Must receive a text or call prior to early drop off. Must receive a text or call if child will be late or absent due to weather.

Pick up:
Everyone is to communicate with me about their commute. Charges will be applied for excessive lateness (beyond 15 minutes) and if I have to feed your child dinner it costs an additional $10. Cash due on arrival.
daysofelijah 10:32 AM 01-10-2011
I probably would allow it if I had a parent that worked downtown or something. All my dck's, except one, now have at least one parent that lives and works within 5 minutes of me. So in their case no I probably wouldn't allow it.
legomom922 10:36 AM 01-10-2011
I would do it....... for a price. I have it in my contract. up to 1/2 hr early is $5, and thing above 30 minutes, like 35 and so forth its $10. You are working no matter what, so why not be paid for it? I like winter!
Gurdy 10:52 AM 01-10-2011
I live in Missouri and we just got a dumping of snow...with more continuing into tomorrow. Well, I happen to not have anyone today, but got a text from one of my moms asking if she could drop her daughter off at 6:30 instead of 7am which is my opening time. She said it took her an hour and a half to get to work today, and the snow is supposed to
be continuing through late morning tomorrow, and she wants to drop her daughter off at 6:30 so she can get to work closer to on time.
My thought is, tell your boss your daycare doesn't open until 7...too bad. But wondering if I'm being insensitive here.
What do you do? Do you ever open early due to weather?
I am in MO too! KC area. I opened at 6:30 this morning for a mom that works downtown. She asked me in advance an I did not charge her. She is my best client though and always pays on time and I have been taking care of her kids (she has 3) since her oldest boy was 12 weeks old and he is in Kindergarten now.
Miss Lindsey 12:11 PM 01-10-2011
She is my first drop off and my last pick up. I am thinking I will tell her that usually I do not because the family is still sleeping at that time, but given the extreme weather, I will make an exception. I also plan to tell her that I DO need her to be here on time for pick up since she's my last pick up and it's usually 6pm...I don't wanna be watching her daughter at my own dinner time and family time. If it's an issue, she'll have to pay for it.

Thanks for all the feedback! I appreciate hearing how other people do it!
boysx5 12:19 PM 01-10-2011
I open early if they need me to for all reasons. I figure if they are good to me when I need something then I to the same in return
Lucy 12:21 PM 01-10-2011
I'm in Oregon, but in a valley at only about 150 ft elevation, so we don't get snow but maybe once a winter on average. It's funny you had this topic posted, because I literally JUST finished an email conversation back & forth with 3 parents about this. We are forecast to get freezing rain Tuesday at 4:00 pm, so one parent started it off by asking if she could come an hour early in the morning and pick up about 90 min early in the evening. I told her it was fine, and then I emailed the other 2 parents. Sounds like I'll have an early day tomorrow!! Yay me!
Cat Herder 12:24 PM 01-10-2011
Could not agree more.
Lucy 12:30 PM 01-10-2011
While I agree with that in principle, I think there are times where I WOULD make exceptions. I pick & choose what requests I will allow. If I feel ok about it, as I do with this one, then yes. If I have reservations about it, I wouldn't let myself get walked all over. It's a give and take. Also, if you don't normally allow exceptions or special requests, hopefully they will feel like they're really getting something from you and will appreciate it. Of course, that depends on the quality of parents you have. I currently have long-timers who I'm very comfortable and happy with.
nannyde 12:45 PM 01-10-2011
Wow she is already there eleven hours a day? Please tell me she is only three or four days per week.

Normally I would allow an early drop off but I would NOT allow this with a kid that was already in care eleven hours UNLESS they were paying full time and only coming three days a week.

If it's a Monday thru Friday kid I wouldn't even be working for them. Eleven hours in day care five days a week is just too much for ANY kid for ANY reason.
misol 12:56 PM 01-10-2011
First, I would consider the parent's track record with me. If they always pay on time and usually pick up and drop off on time then I would probably do it, otherwise absolutely not. I would however, charge my early drop off fee which is $1.00 per minute per child. At drop off I would remind her that even in inclement weather she is still expected to pick up on time or she will get a late pickup fee (also $1.00 per minute) as well. Hopefully since she got to work early, her boss will let her leave early so she can pick up on time.

I don't know of any center around here that would open early because of bad weather. In fact, most would have a delayed opening!

As pp has warned, be careful when you start making exceptions.
Miss Lindsey 01:25 PM 01-10-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Wow she is already there eleven hours a day? Please tell me she is only three or four days per week.

Normally I would allow an early drop off but I would NOT allow this with a kid that was already in care eleven hours UNLESS they were paying full time and only coming three days a week.

If it's a Monday thru Friday kid I wouldn't even be working for them. Eleven hours in day care five days a week is just too much for ANY kid for ANY reason.

YES! She gets dropped off at 7am(sometimes she knocks at 6:55), and is picked up between 5:45 and 6. She is only here Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays, and she has a family friend that watches her the other 2 days. She is charged $25 a day. I do part time care, so I only charge the days they are here. But yeah...she's here spending time with me more than she spends time with her mom. Mom picks her up at 6, and they're in bed by 8pm, and back up at 6am.
Live and Learn 02:03 PM 01-10-2011
I am just plain lazy so if they already coming at 7am and want to come EARLIER....uh, no thanks!

Miss Lindsey...what is it worth to YOU? You are already only getting paid approximately $2 hour (good heavens please tell me you aren't providing food and diapers too!) what more does she want?...so if it were me ....minimum $20 for before 7am drop off.

Good luck!
nannyde 03:14 PM 01-10-2011
YES! She gets dropped off at 7am(sometimes she knocks at 6:55), and is picked up between 5:45 and 6. She is only here Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays, and she has a family friend that watches her the other 2 days. She is charged $25 a day. I do part time care, so I only charge the days they are here. But yeah...she's here spending time with me more than she spends time with her mom. Mom picks her up at 6, and they're in bed by 8pm, and back up at 6am.
That is a rediculously low rate for that many hours. When I said I hope she is coming a three/four days a week I meant that you are paid full time and she is coming three/four days a week.

I would do eleven hour shifts for three days IF I got full slot pay. I wouldn't do it for regular day pay.

Doesn't matter where you live. Two dollars an hour is very very very low.
Keri'sKids 07:44 PM 01-10-2011
Anything over 30 hours/wk is full time and requires full pay. This is standard. And BTW $25/day is way way too low. If you don't respect yourself enough to ask for a decent amount you really must expect your DCM's to also not respect you. Double that, yes $50/day, actually forget the per day part it is full time it is per week so minimum $150/week
Tags:drop off, snow
Reply Up